• Maki-eMagic

• Nurmister

• MoriartyR

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 4/21/2022 at 4:11 AM, Linger said:

My Namiki's at present - gorgeous pens, superb writers:

IMG_5840.thumb.jpeg.5c30cd31d40e6c0610f6c6ff8f215dca.jpeg

Beautiful! I have the red 20 and the Grapevine. I liked the latter so much that I gave one to a friend who is a winemaker in Napa Valley.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

48 minutes ago, jmccarty3 said:

Beautiful! I have the red 20 and the Grapevine. I liked the latter so much that I gave one to a friend who is a winemaker in Napa Valley.

Wow, that is for sure a nice gift! Do you get a life-long supply of cabernet-sauvignon and/or chardonnay in return?

On topic: I love that (type of) design as it curls around the pen, just like a vine would. The Yukari Royale Noshi has it too.

Good for you - congrats. Where maki-e might be a bit of an acquired taste, the black or red urushi is not. That is simply the best pen out there.

11 hours ago, Linger said:

Where maki-e might be a bit of an acquired taste, the black or red urushi is not. That is simply the best pen out there.

IMG_3891.thumb.jpeg.6140a55d8a201caec5d29cc2b58c4451.jpegI

I'm in complete agreement 😊

In fact, I'd love a Yukari Royale maki-e but simply can't make myself spend that much on a single pen.  It's a psychological barrier rather than a financial constraint but it's putting up a powerful fight!

I am in full, utter and absolute agreement with you.

Yet, cognitive behavioral therapy tells us that think, feel and act should be aligned.

And I FEEL I want to look for another piece of functional art so I in order for the triangle to be aligned, I must subordinate what I THINK to what I FEEL and acquire the Namiki Yukari Turtle, as that is what my tunnel vision in homing on to.

Hmmm ......... "piece of functional art."  I haven't used that argument with the troublesome psyche yet.

Thank you, and looking forward to photos of the Turtle when it arrives.

• 4 months later...

Sorry to be so late but I keep noticing in the forums as well as the comments on YouTube videos, everytime someone posts about the urushi pens with either the #20 or #50 nibs in either black or vermillion and calls it a Yukari Royale or Emperor, as dependable as the sun rising, someone will correct that the proper nomenclature is Urushi Lacquer #20/#50. The only place I've seen the pens referred to as that specifically is the Namiki website. However, the barcode on the box and the certificate of authenticity that the pen comes with both says Yukari Royale/Emperor Black/Vermillion. Since, both barcode and certificate also specifies the color, either black or vermillion (e.g. "Yukari Royale Black"), it's not like they're just putting the same generic certificate that all says the same thing along with every pen regardless if it's maki-e or just the plain urushi version. Is the naming for this particular pen different for the Japanese compared to the USA and European markets?

Edit: I apologize but I don't actually know if the barcode and certificate of authenticity for the gigantic pens with the #50 nib in either solid black or vermillion actually says "Emperor" as I've never seen one. I only have the smaller version pen with the #20 nib.

Edited by Practice Writer

On 9/12/2022 at 1:20 AM, Practice Writer said:

Sorry to be so late but I keep noticing in the forums as well as the comments on YouTube videos, everytime someone posts about the urushi pens with either the #20 or #50 nibs in either black or vermillion and calls it a Yukari Royale or Emperor, as dependable as the sun rising, someone will correct that the proper nomenclature is Urushi Lacquer #20/#50. The only place I've seen the pens referred to as that specifically is the Namiki website. However, the barcode on the box and the certificate of authenticity that the pen comes with both says Yukari Royale/Emperor Black/Vermillion. Since, both barcode and certificate also specifies the color, either black or vermillion (e.g. "Yukari Royale Black"), it's not like they're just putting the same generic certificate that all says the same thing along with every pen regardless if it's maki-e or just the plain urushi version. Is the naming for this particular pen different for the Japanese compared to the USA and European markets?

Edit: I apologize but I don't actually know if the barcode and certificate of authenticity for the gigantic pens with the #50 nib in either solid black or vermillion actually says "Emperor" as I've never seen one. I only have the smaller version pen with the #20 nib.

I have wondered the same thing, but not thought to check the box in my cabinet.  Thanks for asking the question the way that you did, mentioning the UPC.  My box clearly says "NAMIKI EMPEROR FOUNTAIN PEN URUSHI VERMILLION RINGS MEDIUM".  The UPC code is 072838145154.  I can't find that specific entry in the free UPC databases that I tried, but according to gs1us.org the company code 072738 is "Pilot Corporation of America".

I originally learned of these from North American retailers and reviewers who of course call it an "Emperor".  But I have since been calling mine a "No. 50" since that is what it is called on https://www.pilot-namiki.com/en/collection/urushi/ and I figured that they ought to know.  If I post here I might refer to it as "No. 50 / Emperor".

I wonder if there is a disagreement or miscommunication in the names between Pilot/Namiki (i.e. the parent company in Japan) where the pen is made, and Pilot Corporation of America who imports and distributes them for our market.

3 hours ago, XYZZY said:

I have wondered the same thing, but not thought to check the box in my cabinet.  Thanks for asking the question the way that you did, mentioning the UPC.  My box clearly says "NAMIKI EMPEROR FOUNTAIN PEN URUSHI VERMILLION RINGS MEDIUM".  The UPC code is 072838145154.  I can't find that specific entry in the free UPC databases that I tried, but according to gs1us.org the company code 072738 is "Pilot Corporation of America".

I originally learned of these from North American retailers and reviewers who of course call it an "Emperor".  But I have since been calling mine a "No. 50" since that is what it is called on https://www.pilot-namiki.com/en/collection/urushi/ and I figured that they ought to know.  If I post here I might refer to it as "No. 50 / Emperor".

I wonder if there is a disagreement or miscommunication in the names between Pilot/Namiki (i.e. the parent company in Japan) where the pen is made, and Pilot Corporation of America who imports and distributes them for our market.

What I'm wondering also is what the box and the certificate of authenticity say for pens that comes from Japanese retailer that were not intended for export. I'm wondering if they're written in Japanese or if they're putting the same certificates written in English worldwide regardless where the pen will be sold. Please chime in if you bought yours directly from Japan.

Edited by Practice Writer

Just now, Practice Writer said:

What I'm wondering now is what the box and the certificate of authenticity say for pens that comes from Japanese retailer that were not intended for export. I'm wondering if they're written in Japanese or if they're putting the same certificates written in English worldwide. Please chime in if you bought yours directly from Japan.

I wonder the same thing.  I can't answer, though, as I am a happy customer of Dromgoole's.  

I was a very lucky man to acquire this piece 🤩 wanted to share this with you all here. 

regarding naming: in Europe almost every retailer refers with „Emperor“ to the lacquer No. 50. 

03A445B5-77F6-4EC8-9E70-3C42905033EC.jpeg

276513AC-4A30-4328-A290-EE70C5B3C55E.jpeg

23 hours ago, larsm said:

I was a very lucky man to acquire this piece 🤩 wanted to share this with you all here. 

regarding naming: in Europe almost every retailer refers with „Emperor“ to the lacquer No. 50. 

03A445B5-77F6-4EC8-9E70-3C42905033EC.jpeg

276513AC-4A30-4328-A290-EE70C5B3C55E.jpeg

An absolute beauty!

A proclivity to collect gold-tipped sticks.

• 2 months later...
On 11/24/2022 at 5:51 PM, MalcLee said:

Not one... but two Corals.

Very impressive collection !

Thanks.  The second one was bought on the last Fountain Pen Day sale.  An online store had a sale that I cannot walk away from.