A New 139. It's A No Brainer... Or Is It?

zaddick

46 minutes ago, NoType said:

KAC said. “ . . .if you're going to invest in a nice pen, why not buy one that has perfect dimensions, form-follow-function styling and can be used to write, rather than broadcast an "I have arrived" message from your pocket?. . .”

@KAC I concur that this is a very likely rationale for Montblanc connoisseurs and fountain pen aficionados alike.

But not from Montblanc.  Pretty sure profit from their fountain pens is insignificant compared to the rest of their business. no matter how loudly the very small % of the population that wants a modern 139 shouts, MB aint gonna listen.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Karmachanic

• zaddick

• como

• Aether

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, KAC said:

After all, collectors (and users of modern fountain pens) seem to like traditional styles and, if you're going to invest in a nice pen, why not buy one that has perfect dimensions, form-follow-function styling and can be used to write, rather than broadcast an "I have arrived" message from your pocket?

Which is exactly why some get homages custom made.  Mine's light absorbing matte Ebonite, making it harder to see.  fpn_biggrin.png.92d8dffbbf13aad1c6ac27456ead1ea4.png 

Add lightness and simplicate.

Just curious what the homages have on the cap top, instead of the snowcap?

(Apart from Francis' pens, I've seen that one.)(And that's a great collection you've made there, Francis!)

2 hours ago, Aether said:

But not from Montblanc.  Pretty sure profit from their fountain pens is insignificant compared to the rest of their business. no matter how loudly the very small % of the population that wants a modern 139 shouts, MB aint gonna listen.

2017 data:

https://craft.co/montblanc

(courtesy of max dog’s post, September 19, 2020, here:)

To me, the 146C is evidence that MB does at least pay SOME attention to what collectors/users want.

Otherwise, why would they not just have ditched the entire line, or kept trickling out 149Cs(where they sell as many as they make) as opposed to introducing another model that a lot of people wanted.

And yes the pen was already in production for both the 146C and the 149C, but engineering a mass-production modern flex nib with the particular properties of those took some work as did using what I think is a non-standard feed to keep up with the ink flow. You can't exactly just shrink the 149 nib down and have it perform the same on the 146 either.

A 139 or any 13x re-creation would seem to me to be about the same level of work as any other current special special edition. Take the 146/149 internals and make a resin body in the desired design to hold them. On a 139, I imagine a lot of buyers would be perfectly happy with standard 149 nibs also and not special designs like most of the other LEs/SEs have.

2 hours ago, bunnspecial said:

A 139 or any 13x re-creation would seem to me to be about the same level of work as any other current special special edition

Less. They already have the specs/drawings.  Think Hemingway minus the piston ring, plus etched striations.

12 hours ago, CS388 said:

(Apart from Francis' pens, I've seen that one.)(And that's a great collection you've made there, Francis!)

Below a picture showing my silver GF logo in the cap top .

Note on the pens shown I've not installed my Ball clip, but a silver "Tie clip" I've made earlier

IMG_2231.JPG

14 hours ago, CS388 said:

581082932_ScreenShot2022-02-15at09_57_58.png.cedf2c9ef9905d1b951ad2c157892292.png

A little blury. Focus is on the nib.  Flat-top with white insert.

• 2 weeks later...

It does irritate me that Montblanc doesn't release a modern 139. They started with the Heritage series and see no reason they can't include the 13x series in the Heritage collection. Rolex did an awesome job with Tudor's Blackbay series that draws on historical watches. They're selling so well because there's tremendous demand for vintage inspired watches but with modern movements at a reasonable price bracket. Everyone I talked to in the industry says the same thing, that basically no one expected how crazy that line was become the most popular in their lineup. 

I can honestly see a 13x inspired lineup becoming the most sought after, especially if they market it right. I love my MB 1912. Sure, a vintage safety pen would be nice to have but it is very hard to find one, it's not practical for daily use (considering its age), it's delicate & expensive in mint condition. The 1912 Heritage on the other is a practical, reliable and modern interpretation of an unattainable vintage pen that leave me feeling like I've captured the essence of the original. Sure it doesn't have a butter soft flex nib but it's a reasonable compromise. 

Cheers

Wael

“Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis”

I absolutely agree with you, Wael. 

The market is flooded with "vintage inspired pens" that have no pedigree, and for that reason just look a bit nostalgic to my eyes.

Montblanc has the correct models, and the correct technology, to produce some cult pens inspired in its rich heritage. They have done it with the 1912. They launched a true flexible nib, mounted on a classic 149, and now on the 146, two of their most historic and iconic models. I am confident that we will see something like a 139 replica to celebrate the 100 anniversary of the Meisterstück line, in a couple of years, maybe with a choice of those contemporary calligraphic nibs that they are making experience with. They already have the molds to produce the injected resin pens, as demonstrated with the Year of the Golden Dragon: they have already done it ...

I am not joking, I'm already saving for that pen...

@fpupulin, funny that you are saying because I was holding out to buy another and wait for 2024 which is the 100th year anniversary for the Meisterstuck line.