Hakase Order Advice

Keyless Works

2 hours ago, Mew said:

Red sandalwood pen should be with me in 15-20 days, And my snakewood pen cracked post urushi process. :P 

Congratulations.  Do show us when you receive them in 2 weeks time.  Is snakewood that fragile?  Just wondering how could urushi applying precipitate a crack.  Pardon me for my ignorance.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mew

• Linger

• mongrelnomad

• a student

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Mew said:

Red sandalwood pen should be with me in 15-20 days, And my snakewood pen cracked post urushi process. :P 

Looking forward to seeing your sandal wood pen. How long had the snakewood pen been with you when it cracked, and I am curious whether you mentioned this to Hakase

@cll @a student

both pens were supposed to be delivered together. The pen cracked when it was still with hakase. He has offered to remake the pen and deliver it in June 2022, or give a refund. Refund seems pointless after 1.5 years, I will lose money that way. So have chosen to go ahead and get another one made. 

snakewood is quite brittle, heard that from another pen maker who tried using it before giving up on it. 

That is also what I understood from Ryo. It has to do with the specific density of the wood. Some are too soft, and as such are prone to stains, e.g. sandalwood. Some are too dense/hard/brittle, and as such prone to cracks, e.g. snakewood. Some are in the goldie-lock-zone density-wise, but might simply look better with urushi lacquer, e.g. ebony, rosewood, cocobolo.

I therefore decided to have my upcoming ebony GW15C lacquered with urushi for the esthetics.

That is nice. So far I have a M (the Sailor OEM) and a F (the Pilot #15 OEM), and the next one will have a FM. Ryo tunes them for me to have a generous flow, so even the F writes easily, not scratchy or skinny. Looking forward! My wishlist still contains a Rosewood with a M nib and finally a Buffalo Horn with the nib I will then have learned to enjoy most: F/FM/M.

1 hour ago, Linger said:

That is nice. So far I have a M (the Sailor OEM) and a F (the Pilot #15 OEM), and the next one will have a FM. Ryo tunes them for me to have a generous flow, so even the F writes easily, not scratchy or skinny. Looking forward! My wishlist still contains a Rosewood with a M nib and finally a Buffalo Horn with the nib I will then have learned to enjoy most: F/FM/M.

Can I ask if the Sailor M feel like the classical sailor nib?  The sailor nibs I have has a bit of feedback whereas my pilot nibs are pretty smooth.  My first Hakase is indeed a lovely Pilot nib with the much famed touch to make it flow.

In my experience it does not. The characteristic Sailor feedback is the feel (and sound!) of writing with a pencil. Well, at least this is how I experience it, not knowing if that would be a 9B or a 9H pencil though. The Hakase OEM Sailor nib is more like a Pilot: effortless, feedbackless, soundless, "buttery-smooth" (let's exchange nickels how often that is used to describe a nib/writing experience, I mean, seriously...). And I enjoy both. With a gun to my head I would chose the Sailor KoP 21K nib as my favorite, but luckily nobody puts a gun to my head.

On 2/24/2022 at 9:59 AM, Mew said:

Received my red sandalwood urushi today. Looks pretty good. 

uSHXFss.jpgEJyxS6B.jpg
YYctiVk.jpg

Ycbys4k.jpg
iQss6pz.jpg

jJaNlrk.jpg
04t6U9C.jpg

Absolutely stunning. Upset I missed out on this one, and enjoy it in good health!

Too many pens; too little writing.

On 2/16/2022 at 6:09 PM, cll said:

Is snakewood that fragile

Yes, it easily cracks. It has problems with temperature differences. 

I was constantly knocking on wood until it was sure that my pen arrived safely (US -> Japan).

The one on the right.

spacer.png

Made by Scriptorium Pens - Details and Links see here.

Michael

--

Latest end of March, I will start selling 90-95% of my pens: Jinghao, Hero, Baoer, Yiren, Wingsung, Dikawen, Kaiduoli, Parker, Sailor, Pilot, Platinum, Pelikan, CdA, Waterman, Lamy, Porsche Design - announcement will be here:  LINK. I will keep my Hongdian, Waldmann, Scriptorium, Manupropria, Lotus, and a few others: LINK.

• 3 months later...

Received my snakewood hakase today. Looks nice and the flattop is a nice change from the standard cigar/torpedo shape pens I have from them. 

W9kJ1O5.jpg

fYu4A6S.jpg
sBS6Q7I.jpg

gKHHan8.jpg
zVBLBB3.jpg

6s0xR8L.jpg
LfyEVTs.jpg

HTBu4qM.jpg
AeHPZai.jpg

vI6907w.jpg

HQQUyG8.jpg

bgGkxnJ.jpg

On 6/11/2022 at 6:50 PM, Mew said:

Received my snakewood hakase today. Looks nice and the flattop is a nice change from the standard cigar/torpedo shape pens I have from them. 

W9kJ1O5.jpg

fYu4A6S.jpg
sBS6Q7I.jpg

gKHHan8.jpg
zVBLBB3.jpg

6s0xR8L.jpg
LfyEVTs.jpg

HTBu4qM.jpg
AeHPZai.jpg

vI6907w.jpg

HQQUyG8.jpg

bgGkxnJ.jpg

Such beauties and work of art.

The snakewood is gorgeous, and your complete line-up is impressive Mew. Which nibs feature these masterpieces?

On 2/16/2022 at 2:25 PM, Linger said:

I therefore decided to have my upcoming ebony GW15C lacquered with urushi for the esthetics

Idle curiosity.

Doesn't the urushi effect negate the ebony effect in hand, and the look?  That's my experience with ebonite plain vs urushi.  I like both, but the feel of ebonite gives way to urushi. 

Add lightness and simplicate.

12 hours ago, Linger said:

The snakewood is gorgeous, and your complete line-up is impressive Mew. Which nibs feature these masterpieces?

Hi

snakewood and red sandalwood have FM, and tortoiseshell has F. 

13 hours ago, Karmachanic said:

Idle curiosity.

Doesn't the urushi effect negate the ebony effect in hand, and the look?  That's my experience with ebonite plain vs urushi.  I like both, but the feel of ebonite gives way to urushi. 

Well, you might be right…this will be my first ebony pen so I can’t compare a with/without look and feel… I do have both an ebonite plain and ebonite urushi (Sailor KoP) though. The ebonite is/will slightly change color over time, and the feel in hand is different. How that is with ebony I will not know. I just thought an urushi cover will give it luster, shine, and protection. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Incoming!

I just got word from Ryo-san that my GW15C is completed and ready for shipment. It was the first time he covered African Ebony with urushi, and he was quite enthusiastic about the result. He made his "usual" picture of my pen to illustrate the result - please see below. Once in hands, I will post some pictures of myself. For now, after a year and a half, counting down the days...

L1003765(1).jpg