• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WilyScribe

• Bill P

• Mysterious Mose

• peroride

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anyone have any experience with these? They're refillable felt-tip pens with replaceable, though pricey, tips. They seem kind of interesting but I'm not going to be the first.

https://yafabrands.com/brands/yookers/

I saw them in March at the Long Island Pen Show. They looked interesting but the exhibitor let me try out only one of about three *nib* sizes. At some time when things are more relaxed, I'll go to the store and try them out there.

Dan Kalish

Fountain Pens: Pelikan Souveran M805, Pelikan Petrol-Marble M205, Santini Libra Cumberland, Waterman Expert II, Waterman Phileas, Waterman Kultur, Stipula Splash, Sheaffer Sagaris, Sheaffer Prelude, Osmiroid 65

I saw them in March at the Long Island Pen Show. They looked interesting but the exhibitor let me try out only one of about three *nib* sizes. At some time when things are more relaxed, I'll go to the store and try them out there.

Thanks, much appreciated. I'm intrigued but trying to fend off an impulse buy until I know more. They sure look handy.

Esterbrook made a replaceable and refillable pen in the early 1950's called a Flow-Master.

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

I have this sitting in the drawer.

The concept is cool and the pen itself is fine, but the stickler is the old Gilette razor routine.

You have to pre-soak the felt nib in water to prime for the ink to flow well.

Wow! I'm writing with a Pilot Razor in Waterman Red! :yikes:

and then the novelty wears off... :lol:

After use, wash, dry off, the routine repeats itself. B)

Unlike a hard metal nib, the felt tip can wear out and you'll need another razor blade :rolleyes:

I think this product is good for someone who has never encountered a fountain pen.

Caveat emptor!

Edited by peroride

:yikes:

Dan Kalish

Fountain Pens: Pelikan Souveran M805, Pelikan Petrol-Marble M205, Santini Libra Cumberland, Waterman Expert II, Waterman Phileas, Waterman Kultur, Stipula Splash, Sheaffer Sagaris, Sheaffer Prelude, Osmiroid 65

I get through a fair amount of fineliners, so I bought the Yookers Yooth pens, which were a more sensible price. I like the idea of a decent refillable fineliner, but the narrowest nib is 0.8mm, and I really like a narrower point. But its pretty good. I wouldnt buy the expensive version though.

I didnt have to soak it in water to start it, just popped the cartridge in and the ink sucked into the nib very quickly!

Instagram @inkysloth

Just to be clear, for potential customers:

https://yookers-shop.com/faq/

Depending on the ink quality you are using as well as your usage, pigments can dry out (the aqueous ink used evaporates faster) in the tip fibres. The thinnest the tip, the fastest it will dry.

However, you can dip your whole section in lukewarm water for a while, and then run it under the tap for a mechanical action. Re-insert a cartridge, it will take a while until all water is gone for the ink to go back to 100%.

YMMV

I have this sitting in the drawer.

The concept is cool and the pen itself is fine, but the stickler is the old Gilette razor routine.

You have to pre-soak the felt nib in water to prime for the ink to flow well.

Wow! I'm writing with a Pilot Razor in Waterman Red! :yikes:

and then the novelty wears off... :lol:

After use, wash, dry off, the routine repeats itself. B)

Unlike a hard metal nib, the felt tip can wear out and you'll need another razor blade :rolleyes:

I think this product is good for someone who has never encountered a fountain pen.

Caveat emptor!

Glad I asked. That would drive me crazy and then also end up sitting in a drawer.

Edited by WilyScribe

I have had the 1.0 inked up for a couple of months...I like it...it is clearly not a fountain pen replacement. nor is it intended to be....but as a fine liner or marker, it works very well.

At one point I changed inks, and it took a little bit for the new color to get thru, bit it was fine for what I use it for.

I have this pen and all the different nib sizes. I was intrigued to be able to use them for marking up drawings in red ink, but found the nibs quickly dried out if you stop writing for a minute or two, which is a bit of a pain, regardless of what ink I used. When changing colors I was able to soak the ink out of the nib pretty well, and if you use a fairly light touch the nib should last a while before getting too blunt. Pen Chalet had a very reduced price on the replacement nibs, way below the $18 list (last time I looked, which was a while ago). At the moment it sits in a pen cup, empty.

Weird...I have let mine sit unused for 2 weeks, and it started right up...no dry out at all...Oh well...I have amazon ink ink in it...as I write this I can't recall which ink.

• 1 year later...

I just got one of these in the mail yesterday, in the black grid and chrome finish. It was an unexpected gift from my best man and former recording studio partner.

It came with a black cartridge, but I used a blue one I had laying around instead, and have written a bit with it last night  and today. I like it so far, definitely more than the Noodler's refillable rollerballl that came with (and immediately leaked) the Baystate Blue I ordered.

I can see that the tip will get worn down eventually, and while my buddy knows me well enough to have gotten the 0.8 tip for me, I wish it was finer. But as a complete surprise dropping in my lap, I like it.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/8/2020 at 10:04 AM, Estycollector said:

Esterbrook made a replaceable and refillable pen in the early 1950's called a Flow-Master.

Incidentally, in the middle east, FLOMASTAR is the word used for any type of felt-tip pen to this day.

I've got the small magnetic cap version.

It's honestly pretty darn good. Can't complain at all.

Doesn't really have dry out issues, balance is good, writes well, was NOT hard to clean a very saturated ink out of.

It's VERY dry though. Starts out a little wetter when you first put it to the page, but dries out into a very dry (but not skippy) flow. Definitely don't expect sheen or shading from the thing, but you can expect good manners on a variety of papers.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

• 3 months later...

Just FWIW, I have both Metis and Eros in 1.4 and 1.2. Metis’ threading is not properly designed (cap threads on section v barrel). Has worked fine. Some sections a bit more temperamental than others. The Eros, with magnetic cap has been superb, especially with Pelikan Edelstein. 1.4 is reasonably wet all day, and after overnight starts with a few strokes. We’ll-balanced too, posted or not.

• 9 months later...

Have several Yookers Metis and an Eros. Problem with the Eros is the magnet is not strong enough on the cap  and the body would come off in my jacket packet. Never had any problems with the point drying out (other than the Eros). I use the 0.8 point with the following inks - Yookers, Graf Faber Castille and Colorado pen without any issues. I only use blue ink as black has a tendency to dry out too quickly. Usually rinse my points about once a month. I have their rollerball as well and it works pretty well. Ink tends to try quickly and they work quite well for me.

BTW, broke the point one one of my Metis (had it in my jeans pocket) and they sent me a free replacement. Helps to do a mea culpa and say you did something dumb.