My First Hakase

Linger

As a proud owner, I would like to share my first Hakase fountain pen with you. Not a full review, just some impressions.

It is the model 10A in New Jade Green celluloid. A marvellous material with a beautiful shiny texture and a gorgeous colour. The dimensions of the pen are inspired on my Pilot Custom 823. The overall grip on the section and the way the pens feel in my hand, is therefore similar. The section has slightly more girth, but the length and width of the cap and barrel are comparable.

The nib is Sailor made. This nib plus converter fit best the dimensions of this particular pen. I ordered it in May 2019 when I was of the opinion that "bigger" pens would not suit me. Well, I learned afterwards that I also immensely enjoy the Sailor KoP Ebonite, so that proved to be wrong.

Although the nib is Sailor made, it does not write like what I, in my still limited experience, would call a "typical" Sailor. My ProGear and KoP both have that unique feeling of tooth/feedback that only Sailor has. The feedback on this Hakase is also unique, and is also extremely pleasant, but of a different character. Smoother. Albeit not super smooth like Pilot's gliding-on-ice-feeling. In between both I would say. I guess Sailor produces the nibs to Hakase's specifications, and then Yamamoto-San tunes them himself to come to that sweet-spot.

Needless to say, the writing experience is perfect. Flawless. Every day. In shorter and longer sessions. And all the while holding a pristine piece of artisan craftsmanship in my hand.

So, yeah, overall I am very very (very) happy with it.

IMG_0482.jpeg

IMG_0496.jpeg

Edited by Linger

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Karmachanic

• Frank C

• Linger

• cll

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Gorgeous pen! I once saw a friend's Hakase in similar Jade celluloid at a pen show and loved it, but I like it in the shape you have even better! Looks like a simply perfect pen!

I am quite jealous - just not brave enough to try figuring out how to order my own. Congratulations on a beautiful acquisition, and may you enjoy it for a long time.

Congratulations @Linger that vibrant jade slab is popping even when i have the monitor on nightlight B)

The jumping happy figure says it all, looks like a well-balanced keeper for a lifetime and more.

Beautful pen. So nice to hear how much you are enjoying. :)

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

• 4 weeks later...

Congratulations!! beautiful pen indeed. I like the green colour. The happiness when using it will never end :)

Ciao

Andrea

• 10 months later...

FB10B

Undergoing a slight tweek. Should be in hand next month.

large.1880112059_HakaseFB10B(1of1).jpg.ff5b9d619c2fd186708c1bb43fb5424d.jpg

Add lightness and simplicate.

Ooh nice one! Variation to the standard 10B with the straight back. Cool design, a writing stick of some sort. Clean and elegant.

I like this model and have a comparable (well, slightly, nothing really compares to Hakase) Kanilea as well as a Manu Propria on the way. 

Congrats Karmachanic - enjoy!

Another beautiful Hakase, I'm still pondering ordering one. I'm just reluctant to wait one year to get it. 

Please post photos and reviews when they come. 

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

3 hours ago, Frank C said:

I'm just reluctant to wait one year to get it. 

Use your other pens and don't think about it. A year passes quickly.

5 hours ago, Karmachanic said:

FB10B

I am in love  with this pen.

This is how two color Ebonite should look like.

I recall Sailor couple of years ago did KOP in two color ebonite that  I hated. This one is  lovely

Right On, Write On :thumbup:

2 hours ago, Karmachanic said:

Use your other pens and don't think about it. A year passes quickly.

Let's see, if I use one pen per day and never repeat, Hmmmmmm. 

Now I have to check the pen budget. Thanks!

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

On 6/12/2021 at 8:39 PM, Karmachanic said:

FB10B

I like the slight design change.  Straight and clean.  You also ordered an Italic nib.   Would love to hear your experiences with it after you received this pen.  

2 hours ago, cll said:

You also ordered an Italic nib

0.6 CI 😀

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/16/2021 at 3:42 PM, Karmachanic said:

0.6 CI 😀

Cant wait to see pictures of your pen when it arrives.  And the writing samples too.