Your Most Recent Impulsive Ink Purchase? (Replacement Bottles Don't Count.. Only 1St Timers!)

MHBru

I may have gotten a little carried away the other day.

1. Diamine Saddle Brown
  2. Diamine Poppy Red
  3. Diamine Classic Red
  4. Diamine Imperial Purple 
  5. Diamine Ultra Green

2 and 5 blew me away when I got them.

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Misfit

• Penguincollector

• inkstainedruth

• DilettanteG

@BamaAl
I read a review here that said writing with Diamine Ultra Green was like writing with liquid emeralds. 

Of course I bought a 30ml bottle.

Posted Image

3 hours ago, oregano said:

Montblanc Muhammad Ali green. I was actually searching for Emerald, and didn’t want to pay the high ebay prices, so I was hoping Ali green would be the same color (a la Montblancgate). I think it may turn out to be darker, but I love green, so I can live with It! 

I searched inkswatch to see what came up as close in color to MB Emerald. There’s a few that are close, maybe De Atramentis Petrol. Here are the results of my query:

MontBlanc Emerald alternatives

Top 5 of 23 currently inked pens:

Namiki Origami Tradition maki-e Penguin F, Pilot Iroshizuku Ku-Jaku

Sailor X Sakazaki Penguin Pro Gear Slim MF, Sailor Manyo Konagi

Lamy 2000 EF, Diamine Purple Bow

Parker IM Monochrome Blue F, Parker Penman Sapphire

Indigo Bronze TWSBI Eco 1.1 Stub, De Atramentis Columbia Blue-Copper 

always looking for penguin fountain pens and stationery 

I wonder why Lamy changed the gold sheen in the Dark Violet to green sheen? I appreciate they could no longer purchase one of the red dyes used for the original ink, which someone mentioned has been discontinued for safety reasons, but I doubt that changed the sheen?

5 hours ago, Penguincollector said:

I searched inkswatch to see what came up as close in color to MB Emerald. There’s a few that are close, maybe De Atramentis Petrol. Here are the results of my query:

MontBlanc Emerald alternatives

Thank you so much!! I haven’t tried all the alternatives, looks like there are a few good ones :)

2 hours ago, oregano said:

Thank you so much!! I haven’t tried all the alternatives, looks like there are a few good ones :)

Anytime! What a beautiful color, I am tempted to look for it myself.

4 hours ago, RJS said:

I wonder why Lamy changed the gold sheen in the Dark Violet to green sheen? I appreciate they could no longer purchase one of the red dyes used for the original ink, which someone mentioned has been discontinued for safety reasons, but I doubt that changed the sheen?

I think because sheen is a side effect of a dye.  It's not a separate material added to the ink for the purpose, unlike shimmer.

37 minutes ago, XYZZY said:

I think because sheen is a side effect of a dye.  It's not a separate material added to the ink for the purpose, unlike shimmer.

I always figured to achieve a gold sheen they added something. 🤷🏼‍♂️ It just seemed an unnatural thing to achieve with regular dyes. Can't say I ever gave it more than passing consideration before. 😅 I hope the banning of the red dye in Lamy Violet doesn't mean we see fewer gold sheening inks in the future.

12 hours ago, BamaAl said:

I may have gotten a little carried away the other day.

1. Diamine Saddle Brown
  2. Diamine Poppy Red
  3. Diamine Classic Red
  4. Diamine Imperial Purple 
  5. Diamine Ultra Green

2 and 5 blew me away when I got them.

I LOVE Diamine Classic Red because it's what I think of as RED -- it's smack in the middle of the spectrum/doesn't lean pink/doesn't lean brown or orange/doesn't lean red violet/doesn't lean pale or dark/"fire engine" red/color of my first car (a 1984 Dodge Omni where the color was called "Graphic Red").

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

21 minutes ago, DilettanteG said:

@Penguincollector Dark Purple and Olive Green at the same time? Nice!

High school in the nineties? You sweet Summer child. I remember those cups well from my college cafeteria. Please come visit me in the nursing home. 😀

Sure, just put me in the will for all those birds in your collection 😉 

4 hours ago, inkstainedruth said:

I LOVE Diamine Classic Red because it's what I think of as RED -- it's smack in the middle of the spectrum/doesn't lean pink/doesn't lean brown or orange/doesn't lean red violet/doesn't lean pale or dark/"fire engine" red/color of my first car (a 1984 Dodge Omni where the color was called "Graphic Red").

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Funny, I have been looking for a red exactly like this. I will add it to my list. All of mine lean one way or another, if not when wet, then when they dry. 

Hi, I’m back. I bought some cartridges of MB Midnight Blue and Lamy Orange of some sort. I also bought a bottle of Leonardo Turchese Hawaii and Private Reserve Tanzanite. 

On 4/18/2024 at 7:37 AM, RJS said:

I always figured to achieve a gold sheen they added something. 🤷🏼‍♂️ It just seemed an unnatural thing to achieve with regular dyes. Can't say I ever gave it more than passing consideration before. 😅 I hope the banning of the red dye in Lamy Violet doesn't mean we see fewer gold sheening inks in the future.

All of my regular Sheaffer (US and Slovenia) and Platinum inks sheen gold on the right paper. I also hope that other dyes can achieve the same effect.

Gold sheen?

Take a look at the second line of this scribble:

(The blob after line three is also interesting.)

sharper.jpg.5bb22ca05ddbf38f9c0f7e09d26f1428.jpg

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

1 hour ago, Penguincollector said:

All of my regular Sheaffer (US and Slovenia) and Platinum inks sheen gold on the right paper. I also hope that other dyes can achieve the same effect.

Which Platinum inks exhibit gold sheen? I haven't noticed that from any of mine...

25 minutes ago, Claes said:

Gold sheen?

Take a look at the second line of this scribble:

(The blob after line three is also interesting.)

sharper.jpg.5bb22ca05ddbf38f9c0f7e09d26f1428.jpg

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

Wow, that's a lot of sheen- the entirety of every letter almost!

The third ink looks very appealing too.

Edit: Isn't Bloody Absinthe supposed to be an emerald green ink? 😅

>Wow, that's a lot of sheen-

Agree. But very paper dependant.

>Isn't Bloody Absinthe supposed to be an emerald green ink?

Yes. It is said to be a "medium green that almost leans teal on some papers."

Note "on some papers". But I presume that that is very flow/blob dependant as well.

And/or I did not shake the bottle sufficiently?

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

large.IMG_0891.jpeg.bb870dbace6de534a6627744b705cbcc.jpeglarge.IMG_0892.jpeg.7c380d85cd44ebebe6300c93f76722a6.jpeglarge.IMG_4587.jpeg.65226cfc62954dbb3c8b7fee35273124.jpeglarge.IMG_4589.jpeg.6ae06bd24e9b3a7d8fef7b5fcfedbd8d.jpegPink and green (sheens silver, my mistake) so far, in cartridges. I wrote on B7 Tranext,  Iroful, and my engagement calendar.

large.IMG_0889.jpeg.5a110ceb458d2dc6c2dbba5a2778befb.jpeg

9 hours ago, RJS said:

Which Platinum inks exhibit gold sheen? I haven't noticed that from any of mine...

See if you can figure out which seven inks I got. One of them is a dip pen ink. The first and last line are the same ink. Three of them are no longer in production (but I found NOS bottles), though two of those are still available with different branding. None are 'vintage'.

Hint: it might help to read the poem ...

I used a dip pen and the swatches were made by rubbing the back of the nib on the paper.

You can tell this is an AI-generated poem by "... ancient tales, both old and new ..." 😅

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

By the way, this is the first time I have used this paper and it is *wonderful*. I like it better than my old 52 gsm Tomoe River. The notebook cover is labelled "Écrire Envelope Series" in French & English and it is made by Maruai. It is very crinkly, light-weight - definitely can write on only one side - and ivory in color.  I found it in a Japanese thrift store and it seems to no longer be available, unfortunately. I'm gonna look to see if Maruai has a replacement product ...

My pens for sale: https://www.facebook.com/jaiyen.pens