• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Freddy

• Helen350

• inkstainedruth

• NumberSix

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Today I decided to fill, for the first time, my 42 with overlay. Well, it is a great surprise to use this pen. The nib is really flexible, never wrote with one before and I can actually sense the flexibility. My mother tells me that the pen belonged to her aunt.

I filled it with Watermans Absolute Brown. What a nice pen to use. I have to think twice before opening it as I do all other pens but it helps me keep my brain connected hahaha

Keep it vertical or flood the table !!!

Two A.JPG

pennino.JPG

Four pens today

-Aurora 88 Black Mamba (M)

- OMAS Paragon Black (M)

- ASC Gladiatore Medio Arco Bronze (F)

- Visconti Homo Sapiens Dark Age (F)

Image.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Today I am writing with a Pelikan M400 custom ground to an EF. I notice that many people who post on this thread use several pens over the course of a day. I have difficulty moving from one pen to another, so I tend to stay with one. Does anyone else do the same?

On 1/25/2021 at 6:52 PM, doclocs13 said:

Four pens today

-Aurora 88 Black Mamba (M)

- OMAS Paragon Black (M)

- ASC Gladiatore Medio Arco Bronze (F)

- Visconti Homo Sapiens Dark Age (F)

Image.jpeg

What a handsome group. That Gladiatore is stunning.

2 hours ago, rkesey said:

What a handsome group. That Gladiatore is stunning.

Thanks!! The Gladiatore is one of my favorite writers as well. I really enjoy fine bock nibs. 

I wrote a letter for InCoWriMo, and here’s the list. 

TWSBI Eco in black 1.1mm stub nib/Sailor Bungubox Ink of the Witch

Kaweco Sport Guilloche with BB nib/J Herbin Eclat de Saphir

Nemosine Singularity Aqua demo 0.8mm stub nib/Sailor Shikiori Souten

Retro 51 Blue Lagoon Ombré 1.1mm stub nib/Faber-Castell Gulf Blue

Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze Age stub nib/Visconti Blue

Pilot Prera soft blue M calligraphy nib/J Herbin Bleu Nuit

I purposely chose blue inks because the pen pal I wrote to uses blue inks. I was sort of, maybe trying to be an enabler. 

Posted Image

On 2/4/2021 at 4:49 AM, prf5 said:

Today I am writing with a Pelikan M400 custom ground to an EF. I notice that many people who post on this thread use several pens over the course of a day. I have difficulty moving from one pen to another, so I tend to stay with one. Does anyone else do the same?

Hi prf5, and I am yet another 'multi pen per day' user. I gave your comment some thought and must say I am not familiar with the M400 or EF nibs. I have some understanding for what you describe regarding changes.

If I am writing as a note-maker or letter-writer I most certainly stay with the same pen and ink. However enjoyable and satisfying they are tasks to be performed and there are often external schedules and timetables involved.

Today, for instance, I wrote a letter to a good friend with a newly arrived, "ystudio, Copper portable", using, "Van Dieman's, Tassie Salmon" ink. Some could rightly describe this as a' garish combination' but I took immense pleasure in it.

That done I moved to my own journals and tested a new ink colour, Sailor, Manyo, Shirakashi, a newly returned Montblanc Chopin, from servicing, a Palladium, Lamy Studio with Broad, 14k gold nib, (my first B ever), and finally ended the day with a snakeskin, 1937, "Swan, Mabie Todd, with J Herbin, Poussiere de Lune ink!

Equivalent to a day at Disneyland! A veritable wonderland!😄

I do settle into using a single pen for my tasks but play and make comparisons and express the pure self indulgence that makes my hobby so much fun for me.

Cheers, Gary   

πTom

5 hours ago, Gaudi95 said:

I do settle into using a single pen for my tasks but play and make comparisons and express the pure self indulgence that makes my hobby so much fun for me.

I appreciate your comment, Gary. I change pens, but tend to stay with the same one for a day at least, usually longer. But if I also were trying out a new ink or combination, I suspect I would be doing the same as you.

Some days I use a number of pens.  Some days I only use one.  I've only used one so far today -- the Light Grey Pilot Decimo, F nib, with diluted Kobe Rokku Forest Blue (but then, I also spent a couple of hours digging out my driveway and sidewalk this morning, and then had to deal with some phone calls; and after that I've been decompressing by reading FPN and watching a rerun of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.  Later, between other TV or stuff on the DVR, I may finally get around to finishing the test of one of the Sailor Studio inks I got when I got my two 1911S pens a few weeks ago (the Loch Ness Monster, MF nib, has #650, and the Wicked Witch, music nib, has #943 in it).

It all depends on my mood, and circumstances -- sometimes I end up finishing up fills in several pens just to get through the day's Morning Pages journal entry, and then use a fourth pen with some more permanent ink to write checks and address envelopes.  Yesterday, I did the journal entry with a single pen and only got through maybe a quarter of the contents of a cartridge of Edelstein Amethyst (a little awkwardly, because  the barrel doesn't fit over an International Standard long cartridge -- which means I'm going to have to go back to using and then refilling the International short cartridges or find a decently working International Short converter for that pen....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

On 2/3/2021 at 9:49 AM, prf5 said:

I don't see the use of a new pen every day or two.  I usually only have two pens inked up at any time: one for home and the other for work.  Both are the only inked pens for two weeks to a month; when one runs out, I clean it and ink up a new one. 

"Nothing is new under the sun!  Even the thing of which we say, “See, this is new!” has already existed in the ages that preceded us." Ecclesiastes

I select at least two pens each day - one for writing and one for drawing. The writing one the fill can last a week if it's a piston filler. The drawing pen I can easily run out in a day. :happyberet:

Today it's a TWSBI Eco with R&K Kastanienbraun for writing and a cheapy green Sailor fude filled with Hero 234 Carbon Black for drawing.

Will work for pens... :unsure:

10 minutes ago, AmandaW said:

a cheapy green Sailor fude filled with Hero 234 Carbon Black for drawing.

How's that working out for you? :)

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

4 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

How's that working out for you? :)

Love it! The Hero 234 flows really well from the fude to be the wettest ink I've ever used which is great when using the pen to 'paint'. There are comments I've read about it being a thick ink, but based on this bottle I don't understand. It still puts down a very fine and delicate line without undue spread. And I enjoy the smell.

Will work for pens... :unsure:

8 minutes ago, AmandaW said:

There are comments I've read about it being a thick ink, but based on this bottle I don't understand.

I think the solvent is somewhat more viscous than that in dye inks, but there is sufficient other ingredients in it to make it flow within the range of ‘normal’ through a feed and nib. That's just my guess, though.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

14 hours ago, Checklist said:

I don't see the use of a new pen every day or two.  I usually only have two pens inked up at any time: one for home and the other for work.  Both are the only inked pens for two weeks to a month; when one runs out, I clean it and ink up a new one. 

So, how frequently you change pens (at home or work) depends on how much writing you do with them. As Ruth described, the number of pens people might use during a given day also can depend on their choice of inks - for a pupose, experimentation, curiosity, or fun. I have tried a fair number of products and shades but have settled on Aurora Blue, which simplifies my choices. Thank you.

I have to have a pen with 'waterproof' black ink for registers and legal documents, which is currently a Sailor 1911L with broad nib. For other work I prefer using a pen with blue ink, so I have a Pelikan M500nn (OB nib) with Diamine Oxford Blue. I always have one pen inked up for fun - because all work and no play makes for a pretty dull life - so I have a Pilot 74 with a music nib and Iroshizuku ku-jaku ink.

Bexley:   Equipoise in Black {Scare Color}

Fred

An appeal, Hinnissy is where ye ask wan coort to

show its contempt S'r another  coort.

Finley Peter Dunne

2011.thumb.jpg.f544e78cd5d9f8070188e75acb3e9a77.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Three pens inked up today:

Pelikan 500nn (OB nib) with Diamine Oxford Blue ink

Aurora Optima (M nib - smoothed) - black and chrome finish - with Aurora Black ink

Pelikan M600 (Broad Italic nib) - new limited edition red finish - with Diamine Monaco Red ink

Happy days!

IMG_2100.JPG