Leonardo Momento Zero Skipping

ptree

I got a Leonardo Momento Zero from Stilografica after hearing great reviews about it. When the pen works, it works perfectly. However, the pen sometimes has a skipping problem. When I apply normal pressure, the pen either works perfectly or skips quite a bit. If I apply a little more pressure, the skipping happens much less, but it still happens.

I've flushed the pen multiple times. I've tried Iroshizuku Tsuki Yo and Akkerman 01 Passage Blauw in it. The ink in the picture is the Akkerman ink.

Any suggestions on what I can do to help fix this? Should I just ask Stilografica for a replacement nib since it's been less than a month since I've had the pen, and it has a lifetime warranty as I understand it?

Here is a picture of the pen skipping with a bunch of random downstrokes, diagonal strokes (the worst skipping), figure 8's, and some o's.

post-137997-0-49301400-1553892021_thumb.jpg

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• biancitwo

• ParkerDuofold

• ptree

• Karmachanic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Alas, I understand completely.

I have been having similar issues with both of my LMZ stub nibs. I have resorted to requesting new nibs and feeds. I purchased from Marco Novelli, and he and Dereck have been AWESOME!

I have the same type of skipping, hesitation and railroading. Thinking it might be residual oil or "gunk", I cleaned the nib/feeds several times in warm water with a drop of soap. That helped some. But, I am still having issues.

I love the feel of the pens - the weight, the girth, everything is perfect for me, except the nibs. And from what I have been able to find out this is a relatively new issue. It might have been that Leonardo received a new batch of nib/feed units and they just aren't up to the task. Dereck indicated that he has been passing my comments along to Leonardo. So hopefully, Leonardo will be making some changes for better quality control.

I hope so anyway. I would like to purchase a couple more if they can get things straightened out.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

That does look more like an ink feed problem than baby’s bottom or mialigned tines. But could be a combination. So unfortunate. Maybe I was lucky to get a stub working perfectly out of the box with great flow.

Because of the severity, definitely contact the vendor.

Did you flush it with a drop of dish soap in the water? Could be residual manufacturing stuff on the feed/nib that plain water will not remove.

Add lightness and simplicate.

I’ve been writing with 2 LMZ steel 1.5mm stubs essentially exclusively for the past couple of weeks with a number of different inks, and I continue to have excellent performance from them both. Startups have been perfect, and no skipping observed to date, and have required virtually no pressure to write. Mine were also from Novelli (thanks to DrPenfection!), and as both had a few drops of condensation in the convertor when I received them, it would appear they were tested before they were mailed to me. I’m posting this so that FPN members know that the experience can be excellent. Like other posters above, I’d recommend the additional cleaning, then talk to the vendor.

I don't have a Leonardo pen, but I do have a Leonardo 1.5 nib. I did the soapy flush thing and It's a joy to use.

Add lightness and simplicate.

I’ve been writing with 2 LMZ steel 1.5mm stubs essentially exclusively for the past couple of weeks with a number of different inks, and I continue to have excellent performance from them both. Startups have been perfect, and no skipping observed to date, and have required virtually no pressure to write. Mine were also from Novelli (thanks to DrPenfection!), and as both had a few drops of condensation in the convertor when I received them, it would appear they were tested before they were mailed to me. I’m posting this so that FPN members know that the experience can be excellent. Like other posters above, I’d recommend the additional cleaning, then talk to the vendor.

I had high hopes with the stub nibs. But what has really helped me mentally is the great service the people from Novelli have given. No, I have no affiliation with them, but it is nice to see a retailer that gives great customer service!

I don't have a Leonardo pen, but I do have a Leonardo 1.5 nib. I did the soapy flush thing and It's a joy to use.

Yes I did the soapy flush thing several times (warm water with a couple of drops of dishwashing liquid). The first time, I did notice a gummy substance which I wiped away. The second time, I didn't notice anything. The third time, nothing. Also, each time I run them through my jewelry ultrasonic cleaner. The feeds/nibs are either very, very clean or waterlogged! But it hasn't helped the situation.

My perspective is that there are problems with both the nibs and feeds. For my stubs, I don't think the feeds can keep with the ink needed for the stub nibs. But I also think the nibs have a bit of baby's bottom. Once I get the new nibs/feeds I will compare. Since others have said that the fine nibs are really good, I asked for fine nibs for a replacement.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Thanks everyone for the suggestion. I will echo everything Dr. Penfection has stated. Everything is pretty much perfect except for the nib. I've washed it with soapy water multiple times. Strangely, the nib I have is a fine nib which I've heard are much more consistent than the broad and stub nibs.

I've contacted Stilografica, and they told me they'd get Mr. Salvatore (owner of Leonardo) in touch with me to try to fix the problem.

Edited by ptree

• 5 weeks later...

I have two Momento Zeros with fine nibs and have the same problem, though less severe and less consistent than what youve shown here, its more like an occasional skip/hard start on certain strokes. I think the nibs have a very slight babys bottom but its strange in that it doesnt effect it consistently. Ive also of course completely disassembled and cleaned both pens and feeds several times to no avail. I live in Australia so its not really worth me sending the pens back to the original European retailers or the manufacturer for something that writes well 80% of the time, so Im just going to keep them and try and find someone at a pen show one day who can take a look at whats going on. Incidentally, I also have a stub nib for one of my pens that is absolutely flawless, and have tried a medium with no issues so I think maybe there was a dodgy batch of fine nibs or something. Alas the stub is much to wide to be useable for me.

I have lightly brushed feeds with soapy water and a tooth brush. It helps a lot.

As the others have said - give it a clean or two - and if there's still no joy - return to sender.

Hi all,

This looks like ink starvation to me... flushing the pen isn't going to help... in fact, it may make things worse because you keep filling the feed with resistant, high surface tension water.

Have you tried using CARTRIDGES? They seem to be less prone to vapor lock than converters are. (Either way, it shouldn't be happening). :(

Best wishes for a successful outcome. :)

- Anthony

Just to follow-up...

When you do flush a pen... make sure you give it 24-48 hours, (depending on the humidity level), to completely dry out before you try using it again... or one problem will just be swapped for another.

- A.C.

I purchased a few different width nibs with my MZ and swapped them around a few times before finally settling on the stub.

All the nibs I tried worked perfectly, however the first time I swapped them out, I didn't give the nib and feed the extra little push it takes to click them correctly into place. The result was that the filler wouldn't work properly and the nib and feed were starved of ink. This is something you might want to check.

I actually liked the stubs so much I've now purchased a few extra, which I've put into selected other pens that will take a Bock#6. It is important however to make sure all is installed and aligned properly, since stub nibs require a lot of ink and the slightest error with the positioning of the nib and feed will tend to cause issues.

By the way,the photo below shows a rubber grip which is made for extracting arrows from archery targets. I now use this tool exclusively for nib and feed work because:

1. It grips really well

2. The linear nature of the tool tends to keep the alignment of the nib and feed pretty straight as they are either extracted or reinserted and pushed home.

3. Whilst the size of the gap down the middle allows a firm grip of the nib and feed, the gap does get increasing hard to close as grip pressure is applied, making it almost impossible to damage the parts by gripping too tight.

As a last encouraging comment, I've found the guys who supply these Leonardo pens to be extremely helpful and eager to assist.They also appreciate any feedback received from customers and will do their very best to solve your issues.

post-148386-0-25269500-1556727491.jpg

Edited by Inky-Republic

My Leonardo resin, Hawaii Blue, with broad nib, had baby’s bottom. It skipped, though not like the one above. I did not want to return it. I also wanted a CI. So I sent it to Pendleton Brown. When it returns tomorrow I expect it to write wonderfully, as do all pens after PB is through with them. I will report after I have written with it.

My Leonardo resin, Hawaii Blue, with broad nib, had baby’s bottom. It skipped, though not like the one above. I did not want to return it. I also wanted a CI. So I sent it to Pendleton Brown. When it returns tomorrow I expect it to write wonderfully, as do all pens after PB is through with them. I will report after I have written with it.

I inked my returning Leonardo Hawaii Blue, broad nib, with Pelikan Tanzanite. The closest paper was a cheap junk mail envelope. I laughed out loud as that Pendleton Brown CI laid a beautiful varied line, with no skips, no scratch, and no effort. The Leonardo was already one of my most comfortable pens. It is now one of my best writers.

I am so impressed with this pen, and as always, PB.

It always surprises me that, in view of the apparent 'love' and/or demand for Pendleton Brown's and John Mottishaw's 'signature' stub/italic/flex nib modifications in the hobbyist community, that fountain pen manufacturers aren't offering similar nibs (as a bespoke customisation or in the 'standard' catalogue of nib options) for an additional charge to the tune of US$60 or even US$90 with manufacturer's warranty (to the extent that the nibs will meet the manufacturers' specifications, since it seems to me most requester of nibmeisters' services aren't so clinically precise about stating their 'requirements'.

I don't know if Aurora is only offering its 'Chinese calligraphy' nib options through Nibsmith.com for US$100 a pop, but that seems to me to be the 'right' track commercially for a European pen manufacturer with enough history and clout to take in this climate.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

It always surprises me that, in view of the apparent 'love' and/or demand for Pendleton Brown's and John Mottishaw's 'signature' stub/italic/flex nib modifications in the hobbyist community, that fountain pen manufacturers aren't offering similar nibs (as a bespoke customisation or in the 'standard' catalogue of nib options) for an additional charge to the tune of US$60 or even US$90 with manufacturer's warranty (to the extent that the nibs will meet the manufacturers' specifications, since it seems to me most requester of nibmeisters' services aren't so clinically precise about stating their 'requirements'.

I don't know if Aurora is only offering its 'Chinese calligraphy' nib options through Nibsmith.com for US$100 a pop, but that seems to me to be the 'right' track commercially for a European pen manufacturer with enough history and clout to take in this climate.

I agree. But, then, we are a *very* niche market. And, then, on the other other hand, the premium charged could be significant, making it economically sound for the manufacturer, and I suspect many of us would pay it.

Indeed, I just have. Just recently received a beautiful factory stub on a new Aurora -- although it wasn't called a "Chinese calligraphy" nib, and I'd never heard that appelation until your post -- and I happily paid the premium for it, despite buying the pen from nibs.com, and it would have been less expensive to get a stock broad and have it Mottified. Two reasons: (a) I prefer a nib that is built from scratch for the purpose I intend, and (B) John's stubs are always just a bit too sharp for my taste.

Anyway, it's been gratifying to see (what I perceive to be) a trend of more manufacturers offering stock stubs in recent years: TWSBI, Conklin, etc, etc.

Whoops...just realised how far off topic I've drifted.

Carry on!