• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pajaro

• Lamyrada

• mitto

• JotterAddict62

I don't have any 75s. I just don't know enough about the model. I'll admit that I don't particularly find the cisele finish attractive, but that's just me.

The other three, though (45s, 51s and 61s) I have multiples of. And a bunch of Vacs as well.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

The last P75 SS that I had picked up last year for $30 I sold it at the CPS in May for $75.

I will have to find another.

I don't have any 75s. I just don't know enough about the model. I'll admit that I don't particularly find the cisele finish attractive, but that's just me.

The other three, though (45s, 51s and 61s) I have multiples of. And a bunch of Vacs as well.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

I don't think you have missed a whole lot. Although the Cisele I have is a nice extra fine, I like the 51s better. I even like the 45s better, something I hadn't expected. There are sometimes issues with 75s, and the solution seems to throw money at them. Parts are becoming scarcer. The price of entry is usually pretty high. $85 for the Cisele EF, and that looks lower than the ebay offerings I see. I believe that if you like the 45, 51 and 61, the 75 is a needless diversion that will become a money sump. Unless you just have to collect all the Parkers. The cisele finish does not excite me enough to use the pen regularly, which is too bad, because it is a pretty good pen.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I don't think you have missed a whole lot. Although the Cisele I have is a nice extra fine, I like the 51s better. I even like the 45s better, something I hadn't expected. There are sometimes issues with 75s, and the solution seems to throw money at them. Parts are becoming scarcer. The price of entry is usually pretty high. $85 for the Cisele EF, and that looks lower than the ebay offerings I see. I believe that if you like the 45, 51 and 61, the 75 is a needless diversion that will become a money sump. Unless you just have to collect all the Parkers. The cisele finish does not excite me enough to use the pen regularly, which is too bad, because it is a pretty good pen.

Whilst everyone's tastes are different, I find the 75 one of the best pens Parker ever produced. I have certainly had no issues and, here in the UK, nibs are easy to source in New condition, I have just bought a new 92 (OBBB). I know that several people find them a little slim but they suit me.

Peter

I may be wrong but it is my belief that the deforming of the nib section is caused by the "fingers" of the cap pressing against the plastic over long periods of storage. I always store my uninked P45's with the cap partially off to eliminate this. I have never seen a NOS section with any deformation.

Thanks. Taking the caps off of all my P-45s now. 🙄

Wonder if the same thing is responsible for the section shrinkage in the 75s?

Whilst everyone's tastes are different, I find the 75 one of the best pens Parker ever produced. I have certainly had no issues and, here in the UK, nibs are easy to source in New condition, I have just bought a new 92 (OBBB). I know that several people find them a little slim but they suit me.

I too favor the ‘75. I think I have about 30 now. Mostly chisel, couple fighters, but also in black and two Thuya. I won’t make a comparison between the ‘75 and ‘51. I love them both. They are great pens, totally different in feel and writing.

I will say that if you can find a ‘75 with an 18k nib, it’s a wonderful writing experience.

I too favor the ‘75. I think I have about 30 now. Mostly chisel, couple fighters, but also in black and two Thuya. I won’t make a comparison between the ‘75 and ‘51. I love them both. They are great pens, totally different in feel and writing.

I will say that if you can find a ‘75 with an 18k nib, it’s a wonderful writing experience.

Writing with a Sonnet with an 18K nib is also a pleasure. I like the feel of any of them better than the 75 cisele I have. They are more comfortable. However, the Sonnet is no more relevant to the differences between a 45 and a 51 than the 75 is.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

Writing with a Sonnet with an 18K nib is also a pleasure. I like the feel of any of them better than the 75 cisele I have. They are more comfortable. However, the Sonnet is no more relevant to the differences between a 45 and a 51 than the 75 is.

Hmmm...of course you are right oh wise one. 🤔. A good writing Parker is a good pen to write with.

We got onto the 75 when the subject turned to the section shrinkage of the 45. It was logical to me at least to bring up the 75.

But, I guess this thread would be shorter and less interesting if we had stuck to the 45 & 51. My bad.

Are we comparing a 7 series BMW with a 1 series here?

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

Hmmm...of course you are right oh wise one. . A good writing Parker is a good pen to write with.

We got onto the 75 when the subject turned to the section shrinkage of the 45. It was logical to me at least to bring up the 75.

But, I guess this thread would be shorter and less interesting if we had stuck to the 45 & 51. My bad.

My father has a (once NOS), 45 that has shrinkage on the section.

Thankfully, (unlike the 61 and 21), the section on the 45s don't crack as much as the other Parkers from that time....

Are we comparing a 7 series BMW with a 1 series here?

Hopefully it's not an early 2000s 7 series!

:P

Thankfully, (unlike the 61 and 21), the section on the 45s don't crack as much as the other Parkers from that time....

Edited by Lamyrada

I hope it is about what you value more, of course, besides and above cost. I had both a BMW that was (bleep), and a Mercedes SUV from 2002 that is still going and looks like new, never fails and runs smoothly and starts up with no problems, it also accelerates when we need to. The BMW? We had it in our driveway to store things in the trunk. They were bought the same year and we gave it away this year to a nephew to tinker with....after months in the driveway and $$$ in repairs, LOL!!!! Of course, when it ran,it we enjoyed its power and smoothness. You gotta

love this: I had an Isuzu Trooper that ran as good the Mercedes, a Toyota and Honda as well. This year we just bought a new SUV by VW (be- we had to) and the seats are not as comfortable as the 2002 Mercedes, the "features" are too many for my age to remember well and use... but it is new!!! I wonder which one will last more...

All of this, to say, that it makes sense to compare disparate things on the SAME characteristics. If one of them costs more but does not deliver on the categories you wish to have for the item, it has no value for the buyer, or I hope that's how the logical thought goes.

That said.If you can afford either, the cheaper or the expensier, it is wise to compare the two or three if you are seeking performance. All these things considered, if you are willing to pay for beauty, elegance, perceived status, added t performance, you have a great deal... But, at the expense of performance, your money is your money and you do with it what you like. I think it is OK to compare dissimilar things, after all.

Edited by Lamyrada

I hope it is about what you value more, of course, besides and above cost. I had both a BMW that was (bleep), and a Mercedes SUV from 2002 that is still going and looks like new, never fails and runs smoothly and starts up with no problems, it also accelerates when we need to. The BMW? We had it in our driveway to store things in the trunk. They were bought the same year and we gave it away this year to a nephew to tinker with....after months in the driveway and $$$ in repairs, LOL!!!! Of course, when it ran,it we enjoyed its power and smoothness. You gotta

love this: I had an Isuzu Trooper that ran as good the Mercedes, a Toyota and Honda as well. This year we just bought a new SUV by VW (be- we had to) and the seats are not as comfortable as the 2002 Mercedes, the "features" are too many for my age to remember well and use... but it is new!!! I wonder which one will last more...

All of this, to say, that it makes sense to compare disparate things on the SAME characteristics. If one of them costs more but does not deliver on the categories you wish to have for the item, it has no value for the buyer, or I hope that's how the logical thought goes.

That said.If you can afford either, the cheaper or the expensier, it is wise to compare the two or three if you are seeking performance. All these things considered, if you are willing to pay for beauty, elegance, perceived status, added t performance, you have a great deal... But, at the expense of performance, your money is your money and you do with it what you like. I think it is OK to compare dissimilar things, after all.

Well, Both 7 series and 1 series are BMW, I tried to use this because 51 and 45 are both parker, so we don't get into complication of comparing multi brands.

Yes 1st series is cheaper, easier to maintain, cheaper to maintain, cheaper to run, uses less fuel, more economical, lighter, more eco friendly, cheaper insurance and ........

But, unless better = cheap, then I cant see how a 1st series is better than a 7 series.

Best regards.

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

...and the P51 was, and was intended to be, Parker's top-line pen. Their most advanced filling system and best design. The 45 is a great pen from the beginning of the modern era, a time when people no longer expected to send their Parker off to a service center for repairs. The 45 has a "vestigial" hood, and, overall, has a look from the 51. The 75 uses all P45 ideas, but starts a new Parker look.

Was the P61 c/c ever made in Wisconsin? Or was it Newhaven-only? If so, was the 61 capillary more successful, or successful longer, in the UK?

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

The 51 and 61 are hooded and the 45 is semi-hooded, similar to the Lamy 2000. The 75 is a conventional modern open nib pen. C/C filling system. That's what the 75 uses that the 45 has, 75 is more like Sonnet.

...and the P51 was, and was intended to be, Parker's top-line pen. Their most advanced filling system and best design. The 45 is a great pen from the beginning of the modern era, a time when people no longer expected to send their Parker off to a service center for repairs. The 45 has a "vestigial" hood, and, overall, has a look from the 51. The 75 uses all P45 ideas, but starts a new Parker look.

Was the P61 c/c ever made in Wisconsin? Or was it Newhaven-only? If so, was the 61 capillary more successful, or successful longer, in the UK?

I think the best P61 was the Argentinian produced model which retained the aerometric filling system and lacked the problematic arrow on the hood. I have one USA made P61 c/c.

Peter