The Lamy 27

MYU

Fantastic review, thanks for sharing. Looks like a great pen, and very nice collection. And good grief, your writing sample is insanely neat-- I'm so jealous!

Cheers,

Paul

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MYU

• HesNot

• piembi

• tomw

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If I may say so, I like looks of this pen much more than Parker 51. I think some very good designs did come of this competition with Parker; for example, Aurora 88 is- at least for me- one of the nicest fountain pens ever created.

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent review and pictures, with a lot of information that is really useful to me,congrats for your work,nice pen and definetely can compete with the honorable parker 51... :D

CPSC

• 1 month later...

Thanks to the review I picked up a burgundy Lamy 27b with medium nib on ebay for $23. It's the all-plastic one with gold clip, the screw-on cap and the blind cap that unscrews, revealing the piston filler. Apart from a few scratches, the pen is in pristine condition. The piston worked so effortlessly you could be fooled into thinking it was manufactured yesterday. The pen did not even need to be flushed before filling! It writes wet, very smooth nib, a bit of flex. I would place the degree of flex between the original Aurora 88 (fine, flexible nib, a bit of tooth especially when flexed) and Parker 51 (no flex, smooth). A quite dry ink in every pen I have tried it in (unsuccessfully I might add), Diamine Damson seems to have successfully tamed the flow, so far.

• 2 months later...

Once again a big thumbs up for this great article, It helped me a lot in my research on the Lamy history. If anyone has any information to share about other pre-Lamy 2000 Lamy or Lamy artus pens, feel free :)

Help? Why am I buying so many fountain pens?

This is such a cool and overlooked pen and a state-of-the-art review. I really like the futuristic peep holes for ink level on the barrel.

*****the dandelion blog is right here*****

*****the dandelion flickr is right here*****

You're welcome. I have never tried to take apart a Lamy 2000 nib, but based on the design I can see how it should come apart the same way. This is good to know for cleaning purposes.

The L2K nib & feed are nearly twins with the L27's. These pens can be taken apart, for thorough cleaning, with one's bare hands. No tools required! Just don't lose the little rubber grommet.

I think you should publish you info. The L27 is such a nice, well-made and affordable pen. BTW, have you discovered the big differences between the L27 and L99? Also, do you know the significance of the numbers? (Please forgive me if you've already addresssed these questions. (This post goes on for miles, and miles, and miles--oh, yeah!)smile.gif

Happy New Year!

Robert Alan

No matter where you go, there you are.

• 2 weeks later...

The L2K nib & feed are nearly twins with the L27's. These pens can be taken apart, for thorough cleaning, with one's bare hands. No tools required! Just don't lose the little rubber grommet.

Well, it should be qualified that the L2K nib and L27 nib are essentially the same in the later 27 models (27 30, 27 31, & 27 32), except for gold versus platinum plated. But yes, I did learn later on that it was easy to disassemble both the L2K and L27.

I think you should publish your info. The L27 is such a nice, well-made and affordable pen. BTW, have you discovered the big differences between the L27 and L99? Also, do you know the significance of the numbers?

The 99 was introduced as a slightly cheaper version. Why 99? I've no idea. Sounds like one of those numbers you pick when you can't think of anything else. As for cheaper, it was in subtle ways difficult to immediately perceive (like a thinner cap clutch ring). I'm fairly sure the nibs were the same. That's usually the big difference, e.g. gold plated steel vs. all gold. I could be wrong but it looks like the nibs are the same. At first it didn't look like the 99 had a gold cap, but one definitely came later.

I had been in talks with PENnant to do an article, but they have a strict policy about not replicating material posted on-line (so I wouldn't be able to leverage my FPN review). I somehow never moved forward with it... I did want to get more info from Lamy in Heidelberg, but they had nothing to offer. Lamy does not seem to want models prior to the L2K to be highlighted in any way. I'd heard "3rd hand" rumor that Manfred Lamy was particularly stern about the L2K being the "start" of "Lamy design", so... ;)

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

An excellent review of yet another pen that I never knew that I needed(several of) before now. Thanks for shedding light on this wonderful piece of history.

"If I had only known, I would have been a locksmith."

-Albert Einstein

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

BP/Pencil set trade

I had been in talks with PENnant to do an article, but they have a strict policy about not replicating material posted on-line (so I wouldn't be able to leverage my FPN review). I somehow never moved forward with it... I did want to get more info from Lamy in Heidelberg, but they had nothing to offer. Lamy does not seem to want models prior to the L2K to be highlighted in any way. I'd heard "3rd hand" rumor that Manfred Lamy was particularly stern about the L2K being the "start" of "Lamy design", so... ;)

Have you seen this Lamy 27 demonstrator before? I never knew it existed, and I've been researching Lamy for a while now. My finger fired on the buy it now button so quickly, you wouldn't believe it...

http://www.krislaes.net/FPN/09a7686cb98e9226ec07ce621ab6886a.jpg

http://www.krislaes.net/FPN/1804%202%20%20%20LAMY%20%20demo%20%20fEDER.jpg

http://www.krislaes.net/FPN/1805%20%20LAMY%20%20Demo%20%202.jpg

http://www.krislaes.net/FPN/1806%20%20LAMY%20%20Demo%20combi.jpg

Credit where credit is due: These pictures were taken of a martiniauctions.de auction, by seller fuesam

Help? Why am I buying so many fountain pens?

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

This is such a great looking pen. After using the Safari and L2K, I want more of Lamy - and this one will be next!

They're really nice pens, but the ones with metal caps can go for a lot more than any but the nicest P51s. The plastic capped ones are cheaper, but a lot less fancy looking as well, sadly.

i dunno if i posted here before, but since i saw the review... wow, what a beauiful pen! it really appeals to me.

thx, MYU... BTW, where are you, MYU? (it rhymes!!) :happyberet:

• 11 months later...

I never knew that Lamy made such vintage looking pens... They are great!!

Pilot Vanishing Point Royal Red

Sailor Professional Gear - Sailor Jentle Grenade

Kaweco AC Sport Red Limited Edition - Kaweco Red

Sheaffer Prelude Chrome - Private Reserve Sherwood Green

TWSBI Diamond 540 - Sheaffer Purple

Sheaffer 300 - Private Reserve Orange Crush

• 7 months later...

Great review/history lesson on a pen that is now on my "Gotta Have" list! Not having the funds to acquire several of one brand, the "27" will serve as my Lamy representative. Now i have to explain to my boss/wife why yet another pen must be added to "our" collection - i got her a nice flexy pen, much to her satisfaction - so i might get lucky...

Soennecken: 1932 Rheingold, 510, 412 "click", 101 Lady & S4... Dunn-Pen "Little Red Pump Handle... Waterman: Le Man 100 Sterling & #52 flex... Parker: Duofold Set 1990 & "75" Sterling... Stylomine 303... Moore Fingertip... Mont Blanc 342... Pilot NAMIKI Vanishing Point... Artus... Sheaffer: Snorkel & 5 others. Osmiroid 65:.. MT Swan... Taccia Avante Petrified Wood... Celluloid Eye Droppers: Peerless CHBR, Eagle HBR, & Stratford... & another 90+ indulgences..

. . . . . Those with the Truth, pound the facts : those without, pound the table . . . . .

• 3 months later...

Great review!!

Just bought a 27M with Lustraloy cap with gold accents and Heidelberg engraving, together with the pencil (87 CL2). Together in orginal (but well worn) box for EUR 30

Took me quite some time to get rid of a lot of ink, and polishing the nib (gunk stuck on it), but the barrel, cap are flawless.

Quite happy, and really smooth F nib. Together with my early Aurora 88 a goodtestamen to European fountain pen history!

Edited by mirko

Latest additions: Aurora Dante Inferno (B), Graf Von Faber Castell Classic Wood Ebony (OM), La Couronne Du Comte Willem van Oranje (M), Montblanc Writers Edition Cervantes (M), Aurora Optima Cento Riflessi Limited Edition (B)