Do You Actually Use Your Blotters? I Mean, Regularly.

ISW_Kaputnik

Using Rhodia for journaling with bold nib pens means that I have to use blotter paper. Blotting paper not only dries the ink before turning a page, it protects the unwritten portion of the page from skin oil.

I bought a set of Herbin blotting paper from Pendemonium, years ago, I am still using the first sheet.

For many years, I mulled over getting a proper roker blotter because it is fun to use.

A couple of years ago, I got a solid plastic brayer, with a simple metal handle to flatten synthetic clay. It still brand new.

I saw that Victorians roller blotters looked exactly like brayers, a sheet of blotting paper was placed around the drum.

Of course the drums material was something other than plastic and the handles had beautiful intricate designs in brass or other metal.

The advantage of the roller blotter, is its smaller footprint, which make them easy to slip into a drawer or place inside a writing box.

Edited by Anne-Sophie

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CraigR

• ISW_Kaputnik

• LizEF

• Noihvo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I use blotter paper cut to size in various notebooks. I write quite a bit and so there were always last line smear marks here and there. Blotther paper took care of that right away and I don't like being without it.

Same here. I also carry a cut-to-size blotter square in my shirt pocket or jacket pocket at all times.

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

I use it daily. J Herbin for my daily notes to customers and in my commonplace journal. I also have older bookmark sized branded bloggers that came with the Pelikans i bought years ago. There's always one around

I've never had a rocker, just the loose sheets of blotting paper. I never really saw the appeal in a rocker; it just seems a bit useless if you already have the paper.

I have one piece cut to fit my journal and haven't changed it for at least 6 months, if not longer. It's really just for those times I'm in a rush and I don't want to wait for my ink to dry. Seems to be pretty commonplace if this thread is anything to go by :)

A rocker blotter would get no use when I am writing, but blotting sheets are in every single notebook I use. They double as blotting paper and page marker.

I like how they get more and more colourful and warped over time.

In the German PenExchange forum an artist every now & then asks for used blotting paper which gets incorporated into collage style art.

While I use cut sheets of blotting paper in commonly used notebooks, a small rocker blotter has two advantages for me. The cut sheets are not so much used with a blotting action as left inserted in a page just used, as I turn a leaf or close the book. A rocker blotter is less likely to create an inadvertent smear in a blotting action, so is grabbed in circumstances other than those for sheets.

X

Guest jonathan7007

I have two or three 1" x 3" pieces cut from Herbin blotter paper in my wallet to make life easier for stores or restaurants in which I've signed a receipt. Wet ink puzzles some, annoys others, as they can't put it away without waving it, and there's a delay in *any* case - which isn't good for a fast-moving server.

I bought a J Herbin rocker years ago. Was going to look for a fancy one, But I found it just as easy to stash a piece of blotter paper in my Journal, writing tablet, memo pads, I have them all over the place.

Have Herbin and Visconti blotting papers in notebooks. The Visconti are a bit bigger than Canadian business cards and have a plastic film on one side. Comes in handy for Traveler's Notebook or FiloFax Personal agendas.

Yes I use everyday there is a pen in hand.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have a rocker blotter, but like so many others, loose blotting paper is in every active journal/notebook I have, with more on my desk to be used for letter, etc. I prefer Clairefontaine and Tomoe River paper - and I'm impatient. Thus, blotting paper.

I keep an E+M rocker on my desk for checks and contracts. Very useful. Cut sheets for journals.

I have a stash of cut blotter papers that I think I bought some time ago from Richard's Pens before he retired. Never bothered with a rocker. I use a blotter paper when it appears I need to; not all papers I write on necessitate the use.

I seem to recall seeing both rocker blotters and papers sold by various pen suppliers, e.g., Fahrney's in DC and Fountain Pen Hospital?

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David

"Behold, He who watches over Israel neither slumbers nor sleeps!"