Montblanc's Generosity

Pravda

While Chrissy’s experience in Orlando might be closer in mileage, given the extensive multi-year construction on the two interstates required for me to get there (coincidentally on the top 5 list for fatalities nationwide), the fastest and easiest for me is 6 hours driving to Atlanta. I’ve twice in the last year attended conventions there, intending to swing by, only to find store hours didn’t coincide with my free time, or the expense of bailing my car out of over-priced downtown hotel parking disinclined me to drive away from valuable business meetings and meals for rushed shopping for something I prefer to take my time considering.

The advantage of my online connections is the ability to examine the pen at leisure in my own home for a period of days, returning it on those rare occasions it does not suit me. I’m able to discuss my preferences with the vendors in advance and they’re very straightforward as to whether a model might or might not suit me and why. Obviously, I don’t ink the pen unless I’m pretty decided to keep it. The few times I was unhappy with the nib performance after inking, they either took it back for a full refund, or had me send it to a nib guru (NOT MBNA) at their expense. I do not abuse this excellent customer service as I value the opportunity and it took me a few years of lesser pen purchases of other brands to build that level of trust.

I used to buy NOS on eBay and send them on occasion to MBNA before they moved to Texas. Piston issues in the main. Their current behavior has me wary of purchasing additional new pens. Why would I risk sending my Skeletons for routine maintenance if the current employees can’t tell an OB from an M and actually make a skipping nib ENTIRELY unusable after costing me the higher charge for supposedly sending a limited edition to Hamburg not once, but TWICE?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ghost Plane

• Tom Kellie

• pwsuba

• Chrissy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am not sure, but I think it is just a matter of how much you spend on the boutique. The most you spend, the better you are trated. My opinion...

I am not sure, but I think it is just a matter of how much you spend on the boutique. The most you spend, the better you are trated. My opinion...

I can understand this idea. However, my experience has been wonderful with the boutique in Atlanta. I have, by no means, been a big spender. But I have taken time to build a rapport with the person I deal with. Now, it's possible the treatment I have received is in expectation that I will be back and will be purchasing more products, which is likely so long as I continue to receive the treatment I have so far been shown.

i HAVE to disagree.

On my regular boutique I have purchased 4 pens, including the Leonardo and 3 meisterstucks, all fountain pens. I do not get any special or nice treatment... as for gifts, i have gotten free ink.

The story is the same across the boutiques I've been in the states... they treat me and other FP purchasers with lesser regard than those interested in leather goods or watches...

YET, on different boutiques (+4) across spain i have been treated FANTASTICALLY well. I've sat on the "special room" where they brought a few different pens, from a Virginia Woolf, to a Unicef Skeleton and everything in between.

I cant say what is and what it is not, but I loved the treatment in Spain.

~ Ghost Plane:

Please pardon this question, but may I ask about how many hours away is the nearest Montblanc boutique?

I ask to get a sense of what's involved in visiting a boutique.

Tom K.

I am a little over four hours away from the closest MB in the US. I have one across the border in Montreal that is under two hours, however I would likely run into a ton of customs fees and taxes making a purchase there and bringing it back into the US.

~ Ghost Plane:

Please pardon this question, but may I ask about how many hours away is the nearest Montblanc boutique?

I ask to get a sense of what's involved in visiting a boutique.

Tom K.

I am a little over four hours away from the closest MB in the US. I have one across the border in Montreal that is under two hours, however I would likely run into a ton of customs fees and taxes making a purchase there and bringing it back into the US.

Maybe I was unable to express myself properly. Of course, the customers service are very special, mainly becase we are dealing with luxury market segment. But, regarding the physical presents/gifts, they are more generous as the total ammount on your purchase increases. I have nothing to say in the contrary of boutiques treatments (excepct one here in Brazil where I was trated as someone that is just looking for pens, instead of knowing me as a MB collector). In general, their treatment is exemplar. But, sometimes they appear just to smile to your credit card.... Anyway, they are a for profit company what is fully understandable. ;)

I can understand this idea. However, my experience has been wonderful with the boutique in Atlanta. I have, by no means, been a big spender. But I have taken time to build a rapport with the person I deal with. Now, it's possible the treatment I have received is in expectation that I will be back and will be purchasing more products, which is likely so long as I continue to receive the treatment I have so far been shown.

This certainly leads me to build some shopping time into my schedule next time I’m slotted for travel to Atlanta. I feared I’d experience some of the idiocy described regarding other US boutiques and not worth the bother. Good to know.

Maybe I was unable to express myself properly. Of course, the customers service are very special, mainly becase we are dealing with luxury market segment. But, regarding the physical presents/gifts, they are more generous as the total ammount on your purchase increases. I have nothing to say in the contrary of boutiques treatments (excepct one here in Brazil where I was trated as someone that is just looking for pens, instead of knowing me as a MB collector). In general, their treatment is exemplar. But, sometimes they appear just to smile to your credit card.... Anyway, they are a for profit company what is fully understandable. ;)

While I maintain that treatment is not in correlation to your wallet, of course gifts are (and should naturally be). They are their way of saying thank you; Or why would Montblanc give me $2,000 in gifts not for my good looks I'm certain :)

I have to disagree too. My friend in the Montblanc UK boutique has only once sold me a pen, years ago. Although I more often buy bottles of ink from him. We've just known each other for a long time. :)

It sounds like MB customer service comes down to individual employees who care about their job/customers–some do and some don't. This doesn't bode well for MBs training programs.

~ Nathanb:

Thank you for the delightful post.

It's great to know of such superb service.

The Managing Director in Melbourne deserves praise for his considerate assistance to you.

What a terrific launch dinner! I'm so glad to know about that.

Tom K.

Thank you Tom,

I am fortunate to have both Head Office and the only service centre in Australia an arms length away. To add to this, I have formed a rapport with the service manager whom has extended the invitation to have my nibs exchanged whilst i wait. In this instance the MD happened to walk through and struck up a conversation - he had no idea of my sales history with MB and was gracious enough to extend the courtesy to sit with me and chat about the business whilst my nib was being exchanged.

While I maintain that treatment is not in correlation to your wallet, of course gifts are (and should naturally be). They are their way of saying thank you; Or why would Montblanc give me $2,000 in gifts not for my good looks I'm certain :)

I bought goods on the boutique I visit regularly, they show all the pens to me, they are attentive, impecable tratement. But, I never received goods as presents. Maybe this occur only on this specific boutique...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

That’s amazing. I have to say my experience is the polar opposite. I still have two pens with MB, both having spent more time with MB than with me after purchasing them a year ago. At that point I was waiting on the 1914 to come in store before purchasing but given my experience in the last year I am unlikely to be spending any more with MB.

I do have to chuckle at this. We forget where this boutique is in. Dubai of all places. I would assume that MB and all other luxury companies would bend and cater to every whim of the uber-rich. I've seen photos of the custom dining hall, and the custom menu of an MB boutique. For the rest of us plebians, we have our mall store, airport store, or what have you, and I'd highly doubt that they would pull the stops out for us. Even at their flagships, I'd only expect to be wined and dined, if they knew that they would be making $$$ off my future loyalty.

I'd know... how does one get free champaign at the Cartier shop on Michigan Avenue? by spending at least 50K on a bauble... Not everyone gets champaign. Is this an every day occurrence? of course not, but nobody else in the store had any champaign.