Montblanc Lucky Orange

lgsoltek

I wouldn’t worry too much except for the aesthetics. It’s a fairly common phenomenon for yellow and orange inks. The kind of dye used in these colours seems to dry out and cristallise very easily. It’s not harmful and can be wiped away and dissolve easily in water.

Thanks Lgsoltek for the assurance. Got a bit scared as i was using these colors for the first time.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• lgsoltek

• Chrissy

• jmccarty3

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Lgsoltek for the assurance. Got a bit scared as i was using these colors for the first time.

Yes, it comes with the territory. Haven't found an orange ink yet that doesn't do this.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

• 5 years later...

When I got this ink, €15 for the bottle, it didn't impress me. How ever with everyone having another opinion, I'll try it again. (Still haven't gotten around to Herbin's Indian Orange.)

My old W.Germany Pelikan orange impressed me. I really should have stocked up on those cartridges instead of wandering off at the flea market looking for a nice €20 pen. Pelikan use to make a whole lot of 4001 inks...the gray and silver gray were great.

The yellow and  Miles Davis blue bought at the same time....defiantly haven't been used again. Those two inks will eventually have me going to Alchemist's Corner for a little bit of magic.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• 5 months later...

Good thing this is only a small bottle. I recently emptied my yu yake after 8 (!) years and this was one of my favotrites. I guess that's the curse of having over 1.5 liters of ink in total, never coming around of emptying one.
Anyway, I thought the lucky orange would be a nice replacement since having it around for quite a while now.

Compared to yu yake it's bland, to kin mokusei it's dull. And I love orange.

Worst, in my vanishing point it's dry and encrusts the nib and I use the VP constantly for quick note taking.

I'm wondering what to do with this.

23 minutes ago, parkerwasmyfirstlove said:

I'm wondering what to do with this

Put it in a pen with a cap that fully seals.

Add lightness and simplicate.

On 10/4/2023 at 10:44 PM, Bo Bo Olson said:

Alchemist's Corner for a little bit of magic.

Any ideas of how to turn dull into something usable?

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

2 hours ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

It seems to me that this question might be a good starting point for a new Inky T O D thread on the Inky Thoughts board 🙂

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

3 hours ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

A pint of vodka?

5 hours ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

2 hours ago, I-am-not-really-here said:

A pint of vodka?

Forget the vodka; if one has already had to schlep one’s pen/ink all the way to Alchemists’ Corner, one might as well ‘have one’s money’s worth’, and partake of the entheogenic Sacred plants/fungi that such a Magus will undoubtedly keep on-hand.

Getting back to Bo Bo’s actual question, I recommend an investigative tour around the highways and byways of https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/forum/126-inky-recipes/

If one uses the FPN-specific custom search engine at…
https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=016372583718073050395:1rsitsemrpo

…one can the enter as search terms both “Inky Recipes” and the name of whichever of one’s inks one feels to be in need of an infusion of some extra Majik.
It will return links to all the threads on that board which mention one’s nominated ink.

Slàinte,
M.

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

On 3/24/2024 at 5:58 PM, Bo Bo Olson said:

By pouring MB Lucky Orange into the sink, cleaning the bottle carefully, order either P.Edelstein Mandarin, Kaweco Sunrise Orange or Fritz Schimpf Sundowner, pouring the new ink into the clean MB Bottle, fill your pen and be happy! 😇 :) 

OK, in all honesty: Me too was not impressed by MB Lucky Orange. Luckily (:)), I got a converter full at last year's Pelikan Hub only to clean the pen two days later. P.E. Mandarin is the closest you can get, the other two inks are a bit leaning towards brownish-redish orange.

If you like to spend some time with experiments, you may try to add, drop by drop, to about 1-2 ml of MB Orange

- some Turquoise (any turquoise you have)

- some neutral green (such as Irish Green or Yosemite Green or similar)

- some purple leaning black (such as Aurora Black or 4001 Black)

All these may, by theory, result in inks with completely different character. All you can loose is ca. 6 mL of (un)Lucky Orange and some drops of a really good ink. Even if you do not end up with an ink you like, the joy of experimenting with unpredictable result is quite often time well spent. ;) 

Have fun!

One life!

3 hours ago, InesF said:

some Turquoise (any turquoise you have)

- some neutral green (such as Irish Green or Yosemite Green or similar)

Hadn't thought of those colors.

Had thought of MB Toffee, or Purple-lavender.

In what direction do turquoise or green lean?

2 hours ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

In what direction do turquoise or green lean?

I did the experiment with P.Edelstein Mandarin and added 4001 Turquoise to one and P.E. Aventurine to another sample.

Great, simply great! Go in small additions and try with a glass- or dip-nib after each drop. You will love it!

Any minute not spent with TV but with pen and ink is a minute of quality lifetime won. ;)

One life!

57 minutes ago, InesF said:

I did the experiment with P.Edelstein Mandarin and added 4001 Turquoise to one and P.E. Aventurine to another sample.

Great, simply great! Go in small additions and try with a glass- or dip-nib after each drop. You will love it!

Thank you very much.:notworthy1:

I have both inks, the problem is finding small containers. I have one, that is empty of gifted ink.AH HA!!! My Dainty Lady's inkwell...and it is dainty.

First picture is a clear auction house picture, there rest are my blurry ones. mha9S58.jpg

0FPqpT2.jpg

A Russian Dr. in my building couldn't ID the dip pen, an Ukrainian woman thinks it's Caucasus.

The black inkwell is is middle big, I do have a couple large ones.ryoHjEX.jpg

SK82SBO.jpg

Grumble squared.....too big.....So are the rest!!!

For the next time I take a stagecoach.

Auction house picture.

VT9rLNJ.jpg

My typical blurry one.VnnLZfr.jpg

I don't do TV much. I scribble on a 5 book Western Saga,(hoping to have ready to start cutting next month...I've said that a few years ago too.) and often enough take notes or scribble scenes....of course with a fountain pen...having two full cups of dirty pens. .:unsure: That's what happens when one is has too many inks, so don't just re-load.

Tried to do a drop with the smallest needle syringe I had but couldn't with either PE Apalite or Aventurine.

I'll have to see how it is when it's sat in the pens for a while.

Paper used, 90g Clairefontaine Triomphe.

I ended up cleaning and filling three cartridges and a converter.

The black pens have MB Joyless, and Aventurine. The Dupont Laque de Chine, M looked real good. The Pelikan Celebry, is going to need some time for the ink color to come in, as stands is last, for the same ink mixture.

Orange and Apatite..is better than pure Joyless, but Orange and Apattie/turquoise was best.

I did find much of a cartridge box of W.Germany Pelikan Orange that I remember liking. So it is out to be re-hyrdrated, and used, along with  Kaweco Sunrize Orange cartridges.

In my samples was Akkermann's Orange Boven...two loads. Now out.

:rolleyes: How odd, I'd not planned to go orange...2 mixes loaded in 4 pens, two other oranges ready to go, and I will have to look in my samples...as the German's say 'Wenn schoen, dann schone\....if, then fully.

Horrible, horrible. I'm out of 'new' only 15 year old Lamy Turquoise in that classic bottle with the wiper.

I am now driven to open up my West Germany pre-'91 Lamy ink bottles. Get to try Lamy blue too.

Not today, but ever so soon.

On 3/26/2024 at 3:07 PM, InesF said:

YPbLvTV.jpg

15 hours ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

Orange and Apatite..is better than pure Joyless, but Orange and Apattie/turquoise was best.

15 hours ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

:rolleyes: How odd, I'd not planned to go orange...2 mixes loaded in 4 pens, two other oranges ready to go, and I will have to look in my samples...as the German's say 'Wenn schoen, dann schone\....if, then fully.

Thank you for going through with it and for sharing your excitement with us! :thumbup:

As long as it isn't J.Herbin Orange Soleil, any orange ink can be turned into something useful ... :rolleyes: :) 

One life!

5 hours ago, InesF said:

J.Herbin Orange Soleil

That one I don't know...just for the last 12 years, Herbin Inidan Orange, or Orange Indian has been on ly list of inks to get.

Some folks like Kaweco orange sunrise...it didn't match up to the antique to be re-hydrated Pelikan pre-91, 4001 Orange.

Back when I was noobie....I made a HUGE mistake, there was this stand with some 20 4001 colors and I only got one pack of say 8-9 colors...not the full load, in I was hoping to get a €20 flea market fountain pen.

I expected them or someone similar in the next couple flea markets....no such luck.

When one is 'noobie' one is ever so ignorant, to old ain't in the supply train.

I gave away pink, lilac, rose, and some other 'girly' color.

Gray and Orange was new to me....

One of these days I have to take PE Moonstone and the remaining two gray 4001 cartridges, Gray and Silver Gray....liked both; Silver Gray most.

In the '90's over here in Germany, I was a Ball Point Barbarian, and didn't know Pelikan had some 15-20 different ink cartridges.

I had wondered why it had take PE so long to come in with a Gray ink, when they had that great Silver Gray of yesteryear........more than likely the generation that knew about them, retired and moved to Spain.