A Guide To Pen Shopping In Korea

Flippy

Hi everyone,

Whether you live in Korea, or are an enthusiast who stops by, you'd be surprised in what Korea sells. There are many online sites, bookstores, and even underground stationary shops that sell fountain pen related items. Obviously, Korea being a big city country, you will have to pay more, but you DO get good service!

If you are looking beyond online and into the outer world:

Kyobo bookstore in Gwanghamun. So many good pens from Germany, Japan, and all over. So much stationary as well, and plenty of luxury items if that's your thing.

1 Jong-ro, Jongno 1(il).2(i).3(sam).4(sa), Jongno-gu, Seoul

Besen in Gwanghamun

Awesome selection of Montblanc pens, and many other brands too! Awesomeness!

If you are looking through the internet

Bestpen.com A more recommended one. This is actually the online counterpart to the Besen store. I have ordered many pens from there, and they do good service. They even add a converter and cartridge as a complimentary gift for my Lamy! When I ordered my Platinum 3776 Century, they gave me a free Pelikan ink bottle to go with it. Their shipping is usually quick, most of the time they ship in 2-4 days.

Penshopkorea has a good selection of pens. However, pens tend to be a little more pricey, and the translated English version is quite confusing. One cool feature is that they sell spare Lamy Safari barrels!

So that concludes my guide. I have heard many complaints about there not being much stationary in Korea, but this proves it all wrong. NOTE: IAM IN NO WAY AFFILIATED WITH ANY OF THE COMPANIES LISTED. THIS GUIDE OF IS MY OWN MIND.

TIP: You can find many good pens in rundown stationary stores. Heck, a tiny stationary store i found a while ago sells Parkers!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ink-syringe

• Flippy

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone,

Whether you live in Korea, or are an enthusiast who stops by, you'd be surprised in what Korea sells. There are many online sites, bookstores, and even underground stationary shops that sell fountain pen related items. Obviously, Korea being a big city country, you will have to pay more, but you DO get good service!

If you are looking beyond online and into the outer world:

Kyobo bookstore in Gwanghamun. So many good pens from Germany, Japan, and all over. So much stationary as well, and plenty of luxury items if that's your thing.

Come! Pay $340 for a Lamy 2k! Yay!

1 Jong-ro, Jongno 1(il).2(i).3(sam).4(sa), Jongno-gu, Seoul

Besen in Gwanghamun

Awesome selection of Montblanc pens, and many other brands too! Awesomeness!

Besen is not in Gwanghwamun. It is in Yoksam-dong

---

I'll add the new BlueBlack which is at Chongno 4ga. Very nice people. Slightly better than the insane Kyobo prices. (Kyobo pen counter people also very nice but not entirely knowledgeable about pens.)

http://blueblack.co.kr/shopinfo/company.html

BlueBlack has some great inks. A great Ink wall with cards and writing samples w/ swabs.

The useless Pilot Shop at Chongno 1-ga (Chongak). Where I used to go to buy ink 20 years ago.

Somewhat hidden but WELL worth the trouble is PenBox at Uljiro 1. The owner there is the closest thing we have to a nib-miester and is kind, knowledgeable and enthusiastic about pens. I have bought a few pens there. A good place if you are looking for a Sailor in Korea (Again be prepared to overpay).

The basement of LotteHotel/Dept. Store has a pen shop. Not really worth your trouble.

Bohme. In the gallery below Shinsaege Dept. Store. Tiny store but some good stuff in there occasionally. Have gotten lucky with old stock in there. The owner is a good guy.

Besen, BlueBlack, Penbox are my 3 goto places. The place I got to the most (for paper, ink, converters, etc) is Kyobo because I live a block away. In fact I walk through there a lot to get to the subway.

Edited by ink-syringe

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

I have heard many complaints about there not being much stationary in Korea

TONS Of stationary in Korea.

Not tons of Fountain pens and ink. & absolutely terrible prices and no local production of note. & Lots of things only very recently available here. & some basic things still not available at all. Want, say a Pilot C74 or a 92? Go to the Pilot Store, Kyobo, Youngpoong, Chongno books, Boheme, Penbox, Blueblack in vain. (Besen is the only option be prepared to pay through the nose).

Heck, until few years ago you couldn't get Iroshizuku. Things are changing, suddenly and fast. There are more new pen developments here in the last year than in the previous 19 combined but Korea is still not a great fountain pen country. I think there is more pen stock just in Osaka Station than the whole of Seoul. heh.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

TONS Of stationary in Korea.

Not tons of Fountain pens and ink. & absolutely terrible prices and no local production of note. & Lots of things only very recently available here. & some basic things still not available at all. Want, say a Pilot C74 or a 92? Go to the Pilot Store, Kyobo, Youngpoong, Chongno books, Boheme, Penbox, Blueblack in vain. (Besen is the only option be prepared to pay through the nose).

Heck, until few years ago you couldn't get Iroshizuku. Things are changing, suddenly and fast. There are more new pen developments here in the last year than in the previous 19 combined but Korea is still not a great fountain pen country. I think there is more pen stock just in Osaka Station than the whole of Seoul. heh.

Exactly why I buy 80% of my pens from Amazon. I have found sites that can ship Amazon packages within 2 weeks. In fact, I just got a Sonnet from there a few weeks back. :lol: