Wing Sung 698 Vs Twsbi Eco - Battle Of The Republic

Inky.Fingers

Just got my Wing Sung 698 Fine today and it has superseded my TSWBI ECO Broad, and is better than the medium Eco nib, which ran dry for me OOTB. I like the Eco-broad: Dependable, Reliable, good inkflow, but it's clunky compared to the 698.

The inkflow on the 698 is great. Shades my Iroshi Tsuki-Yo very well with a good wet line that isn't overly saturated, but still bold.

It is very comfortable to write with. I'm very impressed with this pen. I expected to have to replace the nib when I got it, but on the contrary this is a great writing nib. I couldn't be happier :wub: .

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Inky.Fingers

• Seele

• Jamerelbe

• J_MM

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just started using my second 698, this time an extra fine. I thought the fine nib was great, the extra fine is even better.

My Eco has been decommissioned and after all the trouble it has given me it's chances of seeing the light of day again are slim at best.

Greg

"may our fingers remain ink stained"

Handwriting - one of life's pure pleasures

My 698 with the Pilot Plumix nib has been working good for a month. Now I'm starting to get some ink blobs on the page as the ink level has decreased below the 1/3 level. Too bad. My TWSBI pens never did this.

My 698 with the Pilot Plumix nib has been working good for a month. Now I'm starting to get some ink blobs on the page as the ink level has decreased below the 1/3 level. Too bad. My TWSBI pens never did this.

It was not that bad with both my WS 698 and TSWBI Eco, but I used to get very tiny amounts of ink droplets oozing around the feed in both pens, especially when I was moving my pens around in my briefcase. Nothing to worry, especially with so inexpensive pens; both pens I fixed using tiny amount of orthodontic wax around the feed where it exits the section, taking care not to block the air intake at the back of the feed.

Especially with the WS 698, I also had to narrow the width of air groove on the underside of the feed at a point near the barrel with soft orthodontic wax. Also to limit the amount of air vs ink, I added small beads in the ink reservoir. My modified pen can be found on post # 56 here:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/321216-anyone-tried-a-wing-sung-698-demonstrator/page-3

post-125657-0-58000800-1504944965_thumb.jpeg

post-125657-0-97806300-1504944984_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Frank66

- Kaigelu 316 Modification (250 #6 Bock Nib / Beaufort Ink Converter)
- Titanium Bock Nib - Kaigelu 316 - Beaufort Ink

- Bock Rollerball Nib In Jinhao 886 Pen - Beaufort Ink Converter

- No affiliation with pen industry, just a pen hobbyist.

- It matters what you write, only for us it matters what we write it with.

Thanks Frank, I would have never thought of orthodontic wax. My usual fix for non-demonstrator pens is a wrap of plumbers tape around the nib and feed inside the section but this would not look good on the 698.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a TWSBI Eco myself. I like the pen in many ways but I think the nib could be better from a starting skipping point of view. I was ready to order a Wing Sung 698, but understand it cannot be reliably posted. Anyone find a similar Wing Sung that can be posted?

Edited by DanielleE

My Wing Sung 698 arrived a few days ago. I chose the clear one with the ivory-coloured cap and turning knob. The nib is probably the smoothest of any pen I own - I was delighed with how lovely it wrote with straight out of the box. (Inked with Sailor Rikyu-cha.)

I can compare to TWSBI Eco because I enjoy those too - my collection includes one of each colour - three EF and a couple of 1.1mm. The EF nibs have a little more feedback than the Wing Sung, not scratchy, more like the feel of a graphite pencil compared to very very smooth.

Weight and feel in the hand is similar.

If I were to nitpick the Wing Sung, the only fault I can find is a tiny wiggle on the turning knob when clicked closed. If doesn't feel like it will fall off, but that one thing is not as solid as the TWSBI.

At the end of the day? I am looking forward to next year's TWSBI Eco colour release, but will also be keeping a look out for new Wing Sung 698 colours too.

Will work for pens... :unsure:

My Wing Sung 698 arrived a few days ago. I chose the clear one with the ivory-coloured cap and turning knob. The nib is probably the smoothest of any pen I own - I was delighed with how lovely it wrote with straight out of the box. (Inked with Sailor Rikyu-cha.)

I can compare to TWSBI Eco because I enjoy those too - my collection includes one of each colour - three EF and a couple of 1.1mm. The EF nibs have a little more feedback than the Wing Sung, not scratchy, more like the feel of a graphite pencil compared to very very smooth.

Weight and feel in the hand is similar.

If I were to nitpick the Wing Sung, the only fault I can find is a tiny wiggle on the turning knob when clicked closed. If doesn't feel like it will fall off, but that one thing is not as solid as the TWSBI.

At the end of the day? I am looking forward to next year's TWSBI Eco colour release, but will also be keeping a look out for new Wing Sung 698 colours too.

AmandaW,

Since I have also acquired a TWSBI Diamond 580 (B nib) some weeks ago, I have been using both pens, loaded with identical ink (Waterman Florida) and I think I can compare them, allowing for nib size difference as my 698 is fitted with an F nib.

While the 580's piston drive works in a conventional manner, the 698's piston drive is easier to service; the backlash is of course helpful for the dog clutch mechanism, but the parts can be recalibrated in such a manner that the piston knob needs to be turn a few degrees further to engage the dog clutch, eliminating the backlash completely. I did that at first but then, I felt that it might apply extra load on the piston mechanism, so I reverted to the "backlash" setting and think no more of it.

In the hand they feel pretty much identical, save for the 580's faceted barrel and the tiny bit of extra weight. The nib unit system used by the 580 is so different in concept compared to the standard friction fit as used by the 698 so they cannot be compared.

Speaking of my own examples, writing performance of my 698 is exemplary and totally reliable; the 580 often has hard starts at the beginning of a word, and a little picky on the paper front. It could well be an individual nib issue though.

In terms of cost/performance evaluation, the 698 is a more than capable tool, even though its nib selection is limited unless you want to go a bit further to get Pilot and compatible nibs. TWSBI offers plenty of choices at the start so that might be a deciding factor in its purchase, but if all things being equal, the cost/performance advantage of the 698 could very well give it an edge.

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

• 1 month later...

After using the Eco and the 698 I have to say that I think both are great pens. For the value, I think the 698 might win out to more people due to the starting price, but I think the Eco is also a very good value and in the end my preference.

The 698 has a nib that writes better than pilot nibs, which have been toothy for me since I bought my second one. However, for me, the slight squeakiness of the 698 nib bugs me. It's not as bad as the Platinum Preppy, which is unusably squeaky for me, but still a negative for me. All in all, the pen is easy to use, maintain, and feels good in the hand for Short and maybe Medium writing sessions.

The Eco, however, IMO is a workhorse that can last for Long writing sessions. Now my hands aren't small, but when I hold the pen in a tripod position, but with my index finger forward against the lips/flares and my thumb slightly back, I am able to use that flares and tapering of the section to allow the pen to hold itself in my hand decreasing fatigue and increasing comfort and relaxation of my hand in a way that the 698 doesn't. The nib is a Jowo, which simply provides a more solid writing experience, but can be toothy the finer you go, which is where the functionality of the 698 nib starts to gain an advantage, and honestly would win out if it wasn't so cheap.

Once you get a hang of it, the Eco is quite easy to clean and maintain. It feels sturdier, and in the grip I use it has less clunkiness than otherwise experienced. The plastic on the Eco feels sturdier, is thicker, and all in all is a pen I am more comfortable taking with me without worry of breaking/cracking. For me the Eco surpasses the 698 to that threshold of having a solid pen that may be relatively inexpensive, but not cheap, where I feel like I have a solid writing instrument.

For me I prefer to pay the extra money to get that solid Jowo nib with the Eco. Franklin-Christoph uses Jowo nibs on their pens, so you know you are getting a high quality nib. In my first months use with the Eco, I never thought those seemingly superfluous and almost negligible little flares at the end of the section would allow the pen to be so comfortable for me. It wasn't until I altered my grip for long writing sessions with the Jinhao 599 & Safari did I realize how comfortable the Eco could be if I lined up those flares in the same way they were lined up on the 599 & Safari and use them with that modified grip that allowed my to relax my hand in a way I can't with the 698.

I think the 698 is a great starter pen, but I don't think it beats out the Eco. I think the prices accurately reflect the differences in quality between them, and since the Eco uses a Jowo nib, TWSBI has local customer service, and the overall design is sturdier, I would even say that the Eco may be a better value if you have the money.

Edited by IndigoBOB

Thanks @IndigoBOB for your analysis - I'd been thinking of ordering a 698, but baulking at the price. As you say, for such a small price differential, it would have to be a pretty good pen to beat out the ECO (I have 3 of the latter).

The Wing Sung 3008, on the other hand, is a real revelation - US$2-3 inc shipping, buttery smooth F nib (that can be exchanged, so I'm told, with my spare Lamy nibs), and a pretty good all-around pen. I know some people have had issues with rusting of the screw that holds the clip in place, but haven't encountered it yet on my two samples of the pen - and the piston mechanism, though easier to disassemble, may not be quite as robust as the Eco over the long term. But, again, for US$2-3 each, I'd say that's a risk worth taking!

Thanks @IndigoBOB for your analysis - I'd been thinking of ordering a 698, but baulking at the price. As you say, for such a small price differential, it would have to be a pretty good pen to beat out the ECO (I have 3 of the latter).

The Wing Sung 3008, on the other hand, is a real revelation - US$2-3 inc shipping, buttery smooth F nib (that can be exchanged, so I'm told, with my spare Lamy nibs), and a pretty good all-around pen. I know some people have had issues with rusting of the screw that holds the clip in place, but haven't encountered it yet on my two samples of the pen - and the piston mechanism, though easier to disassemble, may not be quite as robust as the Eco over the long term. But, again, for US$2-3 each, I'd say that's a risk worth taking!

I agree with you on the 3008. I have 3 on the way. I liked the 3003 body, but the nib it came with was poor quality and scratchy. My Jinhao 992 is too small. I have a 6359 on the way.

I think the screw shouldn't be too hard to replace.

I did try a Lamy nib on the one I have now and it didn't fit as securely as the original nib. Not bad, but not great. It could be my 3008 since I did read others having success.

I do like the new wave of chinese pens. I think a few are highly functional, especially for the price, especially the 3008 and 698 that I have tried. I mean, what you can get out of the 3008 for $3 is unreal, and I haven't heard reports of cracking or substandard functioning yet.

Well I think the biggest contribution the 698 gave us is the components , as its pretty much now found its way into numerous other models and of course spawn the wider market for Chinese fountain pen in a piston filler form factor. I like my 698, and my Caliarts Ego-2 , and I am waiting for my Selmy which is now in fright. I used to have a TWSBI 580 but it crack on me and after the factory service I end up selling it in anticipation of replacing it with the 700R ( still waiting for it to be released in a non clear transparent version, would love the coffee brown they used to have ) and the Classic.