Noodler's Introduces A Refillable Cartridge

Margana

That's cool about the cartridge, bummer about the flu.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pepsiplease69

• amberleadavis

• TSherbs

• PaganArcher

It wouldn't be so bad if the flu didn't always hit me so hard. But I have had the chance to rearrange my room properly and have a new desk on the way to ease the suffering while I ride it out.

I got mine in the other day and so far I'm loving them. I'm laid up at home with a bout of late summer flu (I've been quarantined to my room for two days now as one of my kin has an effectively useless immune system) and the performance thus far is superb. They even seem to hold more ink than the usual filler, though I haven't tested that scientifically.

I hope you get well soon.

I love the idea of loaded cartridges for an Ahab, but I own only one pen and cannot burn through much ink all that fast. I own two Konrads and prefer them, actually, so I wish I could do something like this for my Konrads (a size I prefer).

I love the idea of loaded cartridges for an Ahab, but I own only one pen and cannot burn through much ink all that fast. I own two Konrads and prefer them, actually, so I wish I could do something like this for my Konrads (a size I prefer).

I have two ahabs with Knox italic 1.9 nibs that are absolute gushers and it's taking me quite a long time to get to the halfway point on these cartridges.

I have three more Ahabs on order from the Goulets and three more knox 1.9 nibs as well. So I will then place all 5 carts into their own Ahabs.

I reckon it will take me a VERY long time to use up all the ink.

Schmidt should make an international cartridge version. They have all the tooling and know how needed. Maybe the forum can petition them :)

Maybe I'm not fully understanding.

The existing standard international long cartridge can already be used as a refillable if you have a syringe.

So what would be different between that and the proposed version.

Are we going for a larger capacity? Something else?

Schmidt should make an international cartridge version. They have all the tooling and know how needed. Maybe the forum can petition them :)

Count me in! :)

This cartridge has a reusable screw-lid so you can fill a cartridge, cap it, and not worry about it leaking in a bag.

Exactly.

Ideally, the cartridge's nipple would be a separate part, too, so that we can remove it and refill with an eyedropper instead of a syringe. That way cleaning would be easier, too.

Edited by inotrym

I'd also argue that most standard international cartridges are made from softer plastics because they're meant to be disposable, whereas these cartridges are made from much more durable material that's meant to last, or at least last much longer than a disposable cartridge.

I have two ahabs with Knox italic 1.9 nibs that are absolute gushers and it's taking me quite a long time to get to the halfway point on these cartridges.

I have three more Ahabs on order from the Goulets and three more knox 1.9 nibs as well. So I will then place all 5 carts into their own Ahabs.

I reckon it will take me a VERY long time to use up all the ink.

you love those 1.9s!!

• 3 weeks later...

I'd also argue that most standard international cartridges are made from softer plastics because they're meant to be disposable, whereas these cartridges are made from much more durable material that's meant to last, or at least last much longer than a disposable cartridge.

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/2016_2_Ink/09-September/slides/2016-09-22_169.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/2016_2_Ink/09-September/slides/2016-09-22_170.jpg

• 9 months later...

I've just had to switch my Ahab to the 308 cartridge because the threading on my piston-fill reservoir has failed.

The fit and threading on these cartridges are very good--in fact the entire design is brilliant. But I'm experiencing a problem, and wonder whether others have as well.

The resin the 308 cartridges are made from is gas-permeable, leading to the *surprisingly rapid* evaporation of the ink-vehicle. I once filled a cartridge to keep in a drawer at work as a backup, but after only a couple of weeks I observed that the ink volume had dropped by 40-50%. I don't even want to think about what that increased ink viscosity would have done to my Waterman (I have a syringe to fill any converter with). Since I'm using the fine nib on my Ahab rather than the flex right now I can really only put a small amount of ink into the cartridge at a time or it will sit there long enough to evaporate. It's a bummer not to be able to fill it all the way--or to fill several, to have different colors with me for use over time. When I go back to a flex nib (after I've bought a couple to replace the one I destroyed in a gravity-related accident), I expect I'll be able to take better advantage of the cartridge's capacity.

For backup ink storage in my pencil case I find the Goulet sample vials are completely reliable, for travel, and for longer-term storage of ink. I wouldn't leave ink in a sample vial forever, but those vials are *extremely* airtight, and work very well over time. They just aren't as handy for the Ahab. The 308's screw right on, eliminating the need to fiddle with permanent ink in, say, a hotel bathroom...

I may have to pick some up this year at D.C. then. My Ahab is totally useless at the moment for the same reason: threading on the piston wore out.

* edited to correct spelling

Edited by eharriett

I may have to pick some up this year at D.C. then. My Ahab is totally useless at the moment for the same reason: threading on the piston wore out.

* edited to correct spelling

The refillable cartridges work very well for that, definitely make for a tidier swap than the piston fill, and the design is seriously great. And you can't beat the price, despite the evaporation issue. Inside the pen it mightn't even be a problem. (Of course I'm testing that now. Because I can, so why not.)

They may be ordered from Goulet Pens, and maybe from others as well. I had mine special-ordered from Noodlers by my local independent art-supply store.