A First Look At The 'gist', From Tactile Turn

Jamerelbe

there is no liner in the cap. but so far my nib is not showing any signs of drying out so i believe the threads do a good of sealing the cap.

That's my experience with the polycarbonate cap too: no inner cap, but the large acme threads on cap and barrel seem to provide a pretty good airtight seal.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jamerelbe

• mehandiratta

• rajesh06

• pen10

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for this review, I really like the idea of interchangeable nibs and the TT Gist takes this a step further with sections too. Even better, with the same Bock nibs I'm already really enjoying on my converted Kaigelu 316s, plus 2 Namisus. Now I've just ordered a plain black Gist with stainless finial, along with a second nib and stainless section.

I wish I had seen this topic before i purchased my copper fountain pen today, I've spent so much on pens and inks lately I sure could have used the discount :) :)

Shauna

flying-letter-exc.png

• 4 weeks later...

I've seen a lot of these pop on classifieds and forums. May be indicative of people not liking them?

I suppose that's possible - different folks for different strokes and all that - but it's also possible that they're just wanting to cash in on a pen that's suddenly jumped in price after the Kickstarter finished. I paid $49 for my polycarbonate version (that was the early-bird price), whereas the minimum price now (unless you know the discount code - see above!) is $99.

I like my Gist, quite a lot - I *really* like the "Lamy 2000-like" aesthetic of the (polycarbonate) pen when capped. What threw me, just a little, is how grippy the material is, with the ringed finish. It feels really good to hold in the hand - but it a little hard to clip into my shirt pockets, because of the friction between the material of the pen and the material of my shirt/jacket. [i think I read or heard somewhere, probably on the Pen Addict podcast, that the metal pens are a little smoother without being slippery - but that may be my imagination].

I'm still sticking by this pen, though - nothing is perfect, and it's not my all-time favourite, but it has far more ticks than crosses in my books.

• 1 month later...

I got mine (polycarbonate version) a few days ago and, as other posters have stated, it's quite a light pen. It's also VERY grippy because of its threaded body. I could probably submerge it in water and still have no difficulty keeping my grip on it. The steel XF nib is also very smooth. Overall, it's quite a nice pen, and I might just pick up the copper version at some point.

I got mine (polycarbonate version) a few days ago and, as other posters have stated, it's quite a light pen. It's also VERY grippy because of its threaded body. I could probably submerge it in water and still have no difficulty keeping my grip on it. The steel XF nib is also very smooth. Overall, it's quite a nice pen, and I might just pick up the copper version at some point.

Agreed on all counts - though I wouldn't encourage trying to write with the pen under water, that could cause some other issues... :yikes: I've got most of the #6 Bock nibs, now, from EF through to 1.1mm stub, and find they're *all* really smooth.

I bought a stainless steel grip section to go with my polycarbonate pen, and find I like the balance better with the added front-weighting of the pen. That said, it's become a bit slippier in the hand (despite the texture) as the weather around here has gotten colder. Will swap the polycarbonate grip section back in, once I've finished the current converter-full of ink!

I also prefer front-weighted pens. I got a polycarb body with titanium section/grip. The pen is slightly front-weighted, yet the titanium still results in a light pen. Mine has a matching titanium fine-nib, which wrote smooth and wet right out of the box. Choosing my "custom" pen components was more enjoyable than I initially expected.

I have had my copper Gist with titanium nib for three months and still use it regularly. I use it a lot though the clip does take some getting used to. The clip is quite tight and strong, no danger of accidentially losing the pen from your shirt pocket.

I've seen a lot of these pop on classifieds and forums. May be indicative of people not liking them?

I have the polycarbonate with damascus grip with a gold nib. I like the aesthetics and it writes well. However, it is a bit short. It is the ONLY pen I have ever used posted. I have other relatively short pens - a Platinum 3776, Pelikan M400, and a few others - but those seem to be fine. I think the balance of the pen causes me to hold it higher than i would the other pens and my hand simply runs out of pen. I have pretty small hands too.

I can see others being thrown off by the lightness of the plastic version and its dimensions. If I were to get a redo on my purchase I would opt for one of the metal versions. That being said, I am happy with the purchase, but would use it far more often if it were longer.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the great review. I got to see a couple of these at the DC Pen Show this year, and I was impressed. The choices on the Tactile Turn website are overwhelming, but I narrowed my choices down to two that I want to buy.

I was going to use the promo code above, but it says the code is invalid. Has anyone else run into this issue? I don't think I'm going to buy right now if I can't get them on sale.

Thanks for the great review. I got to see a couple of these at the DC Pen Show this year, and I was impressed. The choices on the Tactile Turn website are overwhelming, but I narrowed my choices down to two that I want to buy.

I was going to use the promo code above, but it says the code is invalid. Has anyone else run into this issue? I don't think I'm going to buy right now if I can't get them on sale.

Just checked this out and got the same error message. I know Will is now selling his pens through a few different retailers - I wonder whether that, or some other factor, has prompted him to terminate this offer early? You could try con him directly to see if there's a glitch, I suppose...

Just checked this out and got the same error message. I know Will is now selling his pens through a few different retailers - I wonder whether that, or some other factor, has prompted him to terminate this offer early? You could try con him directly to see if there's a glitch, I suppose...

I may have to contact him. I think the coupon may be the only way I can justify buying two of them.

I have a chip in the edge of the cap of my Gist. This must be a manufacturing issue (perhaps the "threads" are too close to the edge in that spot) as I never dropped the pen and I always carry the pen on a case. I can't get Will to return my emails or twitter DMs.

I am quite disappointed. (I have waited several weeks at this point.)

Edited by rajesh06

I have a chip in the edge of the cap of my Gist. This must be a manufacturing issue (perhaps the "threads" are too close to the edge in that spot) as I never dropped the pen and I always carry the pen on a case. I can't get Will to return my emails or twitter DMs.

I am quite disappointed. (I have waited several weeks at this point.)

He seems to have gone silent on the Kickstarter page too - a few people there (yourself included) who aren't getting responses to their queries. Sorry to hear that - hope there's a good explanation, and a good resolution soon!

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked up one yesterday. I opted for the polycarbonate with copper finial and grip. I've written a few journal pages and it is very comfortable. I love the ridges for grip. One thing many don't know bout them is if you have a piece of something you can get a grip with, you can remove the finial and remove the clip if you don't need/want a clip.

I have a chip in the edge of the cap of my Gist. This must be a manufacturing issue (perhaps the "threads" are too close to the edge in that spot) as I never dropped the pen and I always carry the pen on a case.

I have an issue with the lip of my pen cap, also (see pic below). The small crack has not affected pen function yet, but it is growing with regular use and I'm getting nervous.

Please keep us updated and let us know if you get a resolution.

post-131040-0-45039800-1473151819_thumb.jpg

I have an issue with the lip of my pen cap, also (see pic below). The small crack has not affected pen function yet, but it is growing with regular use and I'm getting nervous.

Please keep us updated and let us know if you get a resolution.

attachicon.gifimage2 (2).JPG

ouch

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

Will actually contacted me today and he indicated that he is sending me a new cap.

He gave me the option of sending mine in to him so that he could install my finial. He gave me instructions that made it seem pretty clear and I like taking things apart and putting them back together.

Thanks Will!

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a picture of what happened to my cap. Will sent me a new one and I am good to go.

post-1872-0-00876800-1473987275_thumb.jpg

Edited by rajesh06