Aurora 88K, Possibly An Aquila

Skyre

You seem still to like the pen so I will act as enabler, to say buy it. I have bought more expensive stuff than that in vintage pens. It was some of the cheaper ones I regretted. Your luck may vary. :)

X

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• praxim

• Skyre

• RayCornett

• Aysedasi

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You seem still to like the pen so I will act as enabler, to say buy it. I have bought more expensive stuff than that in vintage pens. It was some of the cheaper ones I regretted. Your luck may vary. :)

It's part of a trade deal. So, not having to pay cash out of pocket, the convenience factor adds for some allowance in a higher price.

I used to know the owner of one of the best known pen shops in Milano who has now retired and closed the pen shop activity (unfortunately).

In his back shop he had a well equipped repair shop, and did a lot of repairs by himself.

He was quite experienced with Aurora 88s (88, 88p, 88k, 98) and usually did the nib changing, cork changing and leak repairs himself.

According to what he told me the 88, 88p, 88k when new, were sealed at the barrel section threading with shellac to avoid leaking.

Very often with time the shellac would dry out and harden and stop sealing so the pens would start leaking.

He told me that the pen barrel needs to be heated in order to be able to unscrew it, most of the times.

The other very common issue is that the cork dries out and will let ink run in the back of the piston, in which case it will leak from the small hole in the barrel. This is easily cured (according to him, I've made no attempts) by changing the cork (or more recently using silicone stoppers).

I own a few 88s but really should take some time to take better pictures of them...

here is an 88P

fpn_1574895845__aurora_88p.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Mine arrived today. I can't seem to find much definite information on serial numbers, though. This one is 1987088

post-125250-0-32969000-1577161133_thumb.jpg

Edited by RayCornett

Minw arrived today. I can't seem to find much definite information on serial numbers, though. This one is 1987088

Early 1954, I expect, although the only other three Aquilas I know all appear to be 1957.

X

Early 1954, I expect, although the only other three Aquilas I know all appear to be 1957.

I haven't inked it up yet but I flushed it as I do all pens that come my way and looked it over and in doing so the nib seems to be flexy which I did not expect.

One of the improvements Aurora made over the Parker after which is was styled was the greater exposure of the nib permitting some flexibility, so options for hardness as well as width. They are shown here.

edit: a change

Edited by praxim

X