Kickstarter: Namisu - Nova With Titanium Ef Nib . . .

Tas

I've not done a stitch of work this morning :unsure: as my long awaited Nova arrived.

http://www.taskyprianou.com/fpn_novo_review_low_res.jpg

Just want to add that the nib actually "sings" a little (if you know what I mean). My Vanishing Point does that and it's a really pleasant experience.

http://www.taskyprianou.com/fpn_novo_close_up_nib.jpg

I hope all the other backers enjoy this as much as I have so far. Thank you Namisu. :)

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tas

• Feanaaro

• rajesh06

• parnesh

Just got my shipping notice, so I'm looking forward to receiving mine, as long as Irish customs (if there is such a thing) play nice...

Oh, that thing looks amazing, with the Ti nib with the black aluminum. I agree that thing is only going to look better with wear.

Sadly we Aussies are always 2 weeks behind the 8-ball on deliveries - always the slow boat...

[Not really - most of the delays seem to be customs-related :angry: ]

Glad you reviewed this - I've got the same colour but with a medium Ti nib, and love it just as much as you do yours by the sound of it!

I really wasn't expecting such a 'serious' pen - it feels really solidly made and is so lovely to hold and write with. I'll be looking out for other pens from Namisu now - and this one's a keeper for sure.

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

I got mine today, in the matte black finish with a steel B nib.

I'm very pleased with it. I've filled it with R&K Solferino, and as Tas says, it's a very wet writer (in a good way); I was worried at first, because I can (just about) see daylight between the tines of the nib, but I guess that's what contributes to its wetness. We'll see how it holds up when I fill it with a dryer ink. It's a very bold bold nib; a shade bolder than even a Lamy bold nib, in my estimation, but very smooth.

It's very nicely balanced, and despite the girth, I think it will be comfortable even for longer writing sessions. Contrary to how it might look (and unlike the Namisu Nexus), it posts securely without throwing off the balance too much (although I'm reluctant to do so in case the threads inside the cap scratch the matte black finish).

Overall: excellent. I think it will be in my regular rotation, once I fill it with something more office-friendly.

Edited by Trogdor

Thanks Tas for this wonderful review and congratulations :thumbup: ..was really looking forward to a review of Namisu Nova with Ti nib option.

:)

I got mine today, in the matte black finish with a steel B nib.

I'm very pleased with it. I've filled it with R&K Solferino, and as Tas says, it's a very wet writer (in a good way); I was worried at first, because I can (just about) see daylight between the tines of the nib, but I guess that's what contributes to its wetness. We'll see how it holds up when I fill it with a dryer ink. It's a very bold bold nib; a shade bolder than even a Lamy bold nib, in my estimation, but very smooth.

It's very nicely balanced, and despite the girth, I think it will be comfortable even for longer writing sessions. Contrary to how it might look (and unlike the Namisu Nexus), it posts securely without throwing off the balance too much (although I'm reluctant to do so in case the threads inside the cap scratch the matte black finish).

Overall: excellent. I think it will be in my regular rotation, once I fill it with something more office-friendly.

Woo hoo. I can attest that it is comfy for long sessions. I barely put the thing down yesterday. :wub:

Glad you reviewed this - I've got the same colour but with a medium Ti nib, and love it just as much as you do yours by the sound of it!

I really wasn't expecting such a 'serious' pen - it feels really solidly made and is so lovely to hold and write with. I'll be looking out for other pens from Namisu now - and this one's a keeper for sure.

Not only a keeper but something weird has happened to me after using this pen. I'll try and post about it in a moment if I can find the right words.

A very interesting review, thank you. This Namisu looks like a terrific pen indeed.

Forgive me for my impatience, but I'm really curious to know what it was that happened to you after using the pen. Hope you will be able to put it into words soon!

~ Alexander

Wondering if you are able to do a writing sample with some other nibs? How does it compare to a Lamy M? Debating whether to get an Ti EF or M nib ? I prefer FM and M nibs but if the EF is writing wet and wide, I will get that.

A very interesting review, thank you. This Namisu looks like a terrific pen indeed.

Forgive me for my impatience, but I'm really curious to know what it was that happened to you after using the pen. Hope you will be able to put it into words soon!

Erm, this has happened.

Wondering if you are able to do a writing sample with some other nibs? How does it compare to a Lamy M? Debating whether to get an Ti EF or M nib ? I prefer FM and M nibs but if the EF is writing wet and wide, I will get that.

A pleasure.

http://www.taskyprianou.com/fpn_nib_comparisons.jpg

Pretty sure the Ti M nib will be like a B or more.

I can (just about) see daylight between the tines of the nib, but I guess that's what contributes to its wetness. We'll see how it holds up when I fill it with a dryer ink. It's a very bold bold nib; a shade bolder than even a Lamy bold nib, in my estimation, but very smooth.

In my opinion, no nib should have a visible gap. The tines should always gently touch. But it's better (though not essential) for the touch to be gentle enough so when you flex one tine, it doesn't drag the other tine with it.

You can easily close the gap by squeezing the opposite "ears" or "wingtips" of the nib together. I think the best way to do this is in a vise or micrometer. Line the jaws with cardboard to avoid damaging the nib. Then close the jaws until they just hold the nib. Then turn the handle to decrease the gap by .01". Remove the nib and examine it. If not enough, repeat, or even try greater squeeze.

You can calibrate a vise by measuring the number of turns to close a measured distance (for example one inch).

Alan

If you have this pen, could you please post a picture of it with some other pens close by for comparison. And possible also a picture of the pen in your hand in "writing position"? Thanks a lot.

It's not the length that concerns me but the girth. I can see the measurements on Namisu website, but the impression one gets to see the pen in a hand, or compared to other pens, is often more informative than just the number of millimeters.