Philadelphia Show Changes

Jackson

Given weather history around here I think the only people going to this show are the ones who arrive at the hotel this evening. They've already declared a so called "state of emergency" in PA. Once the snow starts, you'll be prohibited from driving and any other non-emergency movement outside. So, you won't even be permitted to try to get to the hotel. Since snow is predicted to last until Sunday morning, this ban will certainly not be lifted before Monday.

By Monday, schools will be closed and it will be a day given to cleanup and recovery.

Sadly, we've lost our show. My worst fear is this will kill the possibility of future shows here.

Unless dealers and pass holders get a refund, I suspect that they will not be likely to support the organizers in the future...

http://s26.postimg.org/fp30mhy6x/signature.jpg

In punta di penna.....

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shaporama

• tryphon

• coolpenz

• pararis

Unless dealers and pass holders get a refund, I suspect that they will not be likely to support the organizers in the future...

I agree. This is a new show organizer this year; I, for one, will be watching how fairly they treat dealers and pass holders in the event it becomes impossible (or dangerous) to travel to the show this weekend.

Philly's Mayor just declared a "Snow Emergency" and commuter trains are suspending service for 24 hours. There will be no way to get to the show even if I was dumb enough to try.

If they go ahead with the show, there's a good chance they'll kill it, especially if dealers aren't refunded. The smart thing to do is for them to cancel this show and reschedule it. . Just because it won't be the first show of the year doesn't mean folks won't attend. Always thought January was kind of a crazy time for it, though to be fair, most of the Philly shows I've attended, the weather was OK.

Just check F.B. pages.....Anderson Pens and Franklin Christoph pens have both posted their arrivals there.....too bad the weather is ruining the plans of so many-stay safe folks.

I"ve been reading this thread out (at least the last couple of days' worth of posts) out loud to my husband. I feel really bad for all concerned -- the vendors, the organizers, the people who bought VIP passes and paid for airfare.

If it had been the previous weekend I might have been able to go. And my husband pointed out that if we had gone out this AM (it's about 7 hours to Philly from Pittsburgh) and had gotten to the hotel today, we'd have been okay -- but going home might have been a horror show.

Ironically, we're only supposed to get a few inches, here; but -- also, ironically -- we have to brave the roads tomorrow for the prior commitment (a distance of under 15 miles each way) that trumped me going to the Philly show. :angry: And I have to haul a bunch of stuff (food for the potluck and cookie contest, my music performance binder, gifts for the Yankee Swap, and stuff for the food pantry collection. Not to mention changes of clothes, plates and utensils, etc.

The really ironic part is that yesterday afternoon, I dropped off a container of homemade marzipan oranges at a friend's house -- she and her husband are not going to the event, probably, because they are supposed to have house guests. And one of those guests won't eat any other kind of dessert besides marzipan :huh:, which is why my friend contacted me last week. And *that* woman and her husband/SO may not be showing at all now because they're apparently from the DC area....

I spent a couple of days emailing my friend back and forth over delivery times (and joked on Facebook about showing up at their door wearing another friend's joke hood that looks like a fish head, with the mouth being the face opening, and going "Candygram..." B)).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Just check F.B. pages.....Anderson Pens and Franklin Christoph pens have both posted their arrivals there.....too bad the weather is ruining the plans of so many-stay safe folks.

The problem is not necessarily getting there (yet!) but also how many visitors/customers are going to brave the weather on Saturday and Sunday and come to the show. I hope there will be lots of customers, but bad weather is a great deterrent, especially if Philly declares a state of emergency and orders people to stay indoors. Getting out on Monday mat also be problematic. I really wanted to go, but in the end I think it was not worth it. I hope I was wrong for the sake of the many friends who got to Philly in time.

In punta di penna.....

I live about 1.5 hours away from Philly and was really looking forward to my first show... Hopefully things are manageable on Sunday, as I would rather only waste 1 ticket instead of 2. (My girlfriend was supposed to fly back today from a business trip, but the storm cause cancellations in Baltimore...) If nothing else, I suppose I tried to support the community... I don't know, the weather's got me down now... :(

I'd like to know who made it to Philly. If anyone is there for the show and reads this, let us know! You are braver than I!

In addition to the people Hangglidernerd mentioned, An Tran, Brian Hulser from Kenro, Rick Krantz have made it. I've seen pictures of Bill Weakley in the lobby of the hotel on FPGeeks. So it does look like some people are able to get in. The worry is tomorrow and foot traffic plus getting out. Of course, An Tran already said the obvious which is the dealers will just sell to each other.

This is the nightmare scenario for a pen show and I feel bad for Scott and Eric.

Edited by AltecGreen

2020 San Francisco Pen Show
August 28-30th, 2020
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

I just called the Westin Philadelphia hotel and they said that as far as they've been advised, the show is still scheduled to go on as planned. Hopefully enough people got there early to salvage something out of tomorrow, and hopefully the snow stops early enough tomorrow night to make travel to Philly possible on Sunday. This will be my first show, and I'll crawl there from an hour away in central NJ if I have to!

Najeeb

Latest reports say it'll stop about 2 am Sunday morning...that doesn't make getting there on Sunday that feasible, as it will be a "dig-out" day for much of the city.

Philadelphia now under a snow emergency. A state of emergency has been declared for NJ. Current forecasts for storm total for the Philadelphia area are now at 17 to 23 inches.

I'm sure there'll be a Philadelphia Pen Show next year, and there are other shows upcoming.

Latest reports say it'll stop about 2 am Sunday morning...that doesn't make getting there on Sunday that feasible, as it will be a "dig-out" day for much of the city.

I don't assume anything about Sunday. The forecast range is pretty large and the timing of any snowfall can be variable. If history is any judge, there will be multiple sweeps of the snow removal apparatus throughout Saturday. Septa may be open. Sunday may be quite feasible for many, certainly not everybody.

All things work out in the end. If it is not working out, it is not the end.

Hope to see you there Sunday!

I will get there ASAP Sunday to set up!

(Two of my vendors are there, so there will be plenty of inventory!)

;)

"Celebrating Eight Years of Retail Writing Excellence"

"When, in the course of writing events, in becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal"

Federalist Pens and Paper (Online Pen Store)

facelogobooks.png.7b61776c10ce24852b00693f4005dc72.png

Use Forum Code "FPN" at Checkout to Receive an Additional 5% Discount!

Wish I could be there! I'll be out a few bucks but this is just too dicey - I shoveled in the morning and now I can't tell where I cleared out. I was under a delusion that I could take the train there even if I couldn't drive but my vision was shot down when I found out the trains weren't running.

I'll miss out on the Beginner Spencerian class as well. This was going going to be my first pen show, but I think it will have to be Long Island. (Unless they have a pen show in NJ) Maybe next year for Philly?

Edited by Mister5

Inked: Aurora Optima EF (Pelikan Tanzanite); Franklin Christoph Pocket 20 Needlepoint (Sailor Kiwa Guro); Sheaffers PFM I Reporter/Fine (Diamine Oxblood); Franklin Christoph 02 Medium Stub (Aurora Black); Platinum Plaisir Gunmetal EF (Platinum Brown); Platinum Preppy M (Platinum Blue-Black). Leaded: Palomino Blackwing 602; Lamy Scribble 0.7 (Pentel Ain Stein 2B); Uni Kuru Toga Roulette 0.5 (Uni Kuru Toga HB); Parker 51 Plum 0.9 (Pilot Neox HB)

So, is anyone at the show? If you are, tell us if there are customers or is it just the sellers who got there yesterday. Curious minds want to know...!

In punta di penna.....

So, is anyone at the show? If you are, tell us if there are customers or is it just the sellers who got there yesterday. Curious minds want to know...!

The PCA should have some pictures up on their Twitter or Facebook pages - Rick Krantz is taking them, Ricky Chau will be posting them. It looks like a lot of vendors, but at least with the pictures this morning, only folks who made it to the hotel yesterday before the snow hit.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

At this rate things aren't looking up for tomorrow either... A plow truck overturned this morning in my area... (20 min. outside of Reading)