Using Wax Seals For Letters Or Cards

fountainpenlady

If the thickness of the letter plus wax is greater than 1/4 inch, there is a surcharge, so really thick wax might be what caused the 21c surcharge.

At a suggestion from a FPNer, I bought some wine-bottle wax to practice with and found that I like it with my stamp. It is more thin and runny than brittle wax, but it melts just fine in an old spoon.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fountainpenlady

• LeonW

• inkspot

• john74

If the thickness of the letter plus wax is greater than 1/4 inch, there is a surcharge, so really thick wax might be what caused the 21c surcharge.

At a suggestion from a FPNer, I bought some wine-bottle wax to practice with and found that I like it with my stamp. It is more thin and runny than brittle wax, but it melts just fine in an old spoon.

Silly question, but the letter you see in the photo is small. Believe the day before or a couple days before I had six pages of paper folded to send to a pen pal. The post person took out some cardboard black thing. She put the envelope through one of the slots of it and told me the .49 cent stamp was enough. I kind of get the idea if I did not tell that I had a wax seal on the back, I would probably not have had to pay the extra .21 cents. Earlier today, I was perusing a thread, can't remember what it originally was and have not been able to find it again. Yet, one of the respondents was saying he also believed in doing wax seal. The person said they did not like or something the possibility of the wax seal breaking and they used the wax seal on the bottom of the page itself. How does that sound? So, the way I understood it, instead of using the wax seal on the rear of the envelope, this person actually puts the wax seal on the stationary itself lower corner somewhere. Have you heard of doing this before?

Ea Alis Volat Propiis, per/Repletus Fontis Calamus!
She Flies by Her Own Wings, with filled Fountain Pen

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

I have been using wax seals since 1967 and never had a problem. Please note that I also believe that you can burn the hell out of yourself if you get too cavalier about them. Flaming beeswax will cause horrible scars. So, when you use it, pay attention (cars are dangerous, too...and daffodils are poisonous and knowing how to handle such things separates us from the apes). I have never had to pay any extra to send messages with sealing wax through the mail. FYI. I like to hunt for them in unlikely places, some are quite expensive. I love the beeswax seals and don't bother with those rubbery ones. YMMV. Wax seals have been around for thousands of years. The beeswax ones smell wonderful, too.

BTW, flaming wax falling on paper is scary. I ease back on the whole thing when that starts. You just need to keep aware of where the hot wax is at all times and ease back on the fire if things start getting out of hand.

But do have fun. That is what it's all about.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

I am going to investigate beeswax, sounds really interesting. I am going to experiment the next time and see what happens in terms of mailing without paying the 21 cents extra postage. I believe for now, I am enjoying wax sealing because it is already one of those special touch additions, which I am hoping my pen pals and friends I send out communications via mail will enjoy; hoping they know beyond thinking of them, writing to them, I have taken the extra time to also do something special by adding a wax seal just for them. It is definitely fun.

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

Silly question, but the letter you see in the photo is small. Believe the day before or a couple days before I had six pages of paper folded to send to a pen pal. The post person took out some cardboard black thing. She put the envelope through one of the slots of it and told me the .49 cent stamp was enough. I kind of get the idea if I did not tell that I had a wax seal on the back, I would probably not have had to pay the extra .21 cents. Earlier today, I was perusing a thread, can't remember what it originally was and have not been able to find it again. Yet, one of the respondents was saying he also believed in doing wax seal. The person said they did not like or something the possibility of the wax seal breaking and they used the wax seal on the bottom of the page itself. How does that sound? So, the way I understood it, instead of using the wax seal on the rear of the envelope, this person actually puts the wax seal on the stationary itself lower corner somewhere. Have you heard of doing this before?

If the origin of the wax seal was to protect integrity of the letter from anyone but the recipient I would think you could fold your paper in such a way that your seal would secure the edges of the paper. For example folding a sheet into thirds so the top & bottom edge of paper "overlapped......THEN affixing your seal ATOP the edges. The intent is preserved, your seal is protected from postal machinery & surely no one would attempt to surcharge you for what is "inside" your envelope.

Today I received a letter that was "sealed"& then inserted into a "second" envelope to protect the seal. A most "gracious touch" & obviously requiring additional post. Not something you might want to feel "obligated" to do each time you wrote multiple pen pals. But basically the same principle as formal wedding invitations utilising their "second" envelope. I think you should feel comfortable to do what makes the best sense to you. After all we choose our pen, inks & paper......why NOT choose the placement of your seal? As "personal choice" seems to be acceptable for most actions I think "sealing wax placement" shouldn't create many waves of indignation!

( "Gotta love them fountain pen people & what they worry about!" )

Innie or outie wax seal?

Dear FPLady, consider to ink your Butterfly brass stamp on the "Ink Stamp Pad" prior to placement in the molten wax. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Believe the one I was referring to began with someone looking for writing paper. However, the one you posted is even better! I thank you very much. I am really excited to learn there is very little I know about wax sealing and thrilled to learn as much as I can while also using wax seals. Thanks again.

Dear FPLady, consider to ink your Butterfly brass stamp on the "Ink Stamp Pad" prior to placement in the molten wax. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

You are compelling me to write a letter immediately. I have 12 ink pads in various colors I purchased from the 'Bay recently. I'll let you know my reaction to what happens. :)

I generally do not apply the wax seal to the envelope itself. I fold my sheet of paper in thirds and seal the top and bottom flaps where they overlap. Then it goes into the envelope.

Edit to add:

I love writing letters on card stock (140lb paper). I usually fold these in half, like a regular greetings card, for mailing. To seal those, I tie a piece of string around the card and conceal the knot with a wax seal. That way, the recipient can cut the string to read the card without breaking the wax seal.

Edited by john74

I generally do not apply the wax seal to the envelope itself. I fold my sheet of paper in thirds and seal the top and bottom flaps where they overlap. Then it goes into the envelope.

Apologies, if clear and I am needing a visual. Are you sealing the top flap to the bottom flap? If so, this will still allow the person to unfold the paper and read the letter? Once again, I know this reads clear, just confirming for sure. So the letter itself is what is sealed until the person lifts the top flap, right? The wax does not really seal anything shut?

Apologies, if clear and I am needing a visual. Are you sealing the top flap to the bottom flap? If so, this will still allow the person to unfold the paper and read the letter? Once again, I know this reads clear, just confirming for sure. So the letter itself is what is sealed until the person lifts the top flap, right? The wax does not really seal anything shut?

Yes the letter itself is sealed, not the envelope. The recipient does have to break the wax seal holding the top flap to the bottom flap in order to read the content (I am attaching a photo which will hopefully make it clearer). I edited my previous post with another method I use to seal letters if I want the wax seal to be preserved.

My favorite wax is from Colonial Williamsburg and it's the original burgundy wax of the olden days and often seen on framed certificates. My preference is the spoon over a candle method because the thicker seal looks better to me. I usually seal the envelope with it then place that into a larger envelope; I use one regular forever stamp with no problems. Only once (that I'm aware of) did a seal get a little crumbly, but never actually broken. The C.W. wax has never caught fire on me.

A little safety tip is to "weld" the short older stick-nub to the long, new stick which allows for a safe distance from the heat source.

The J Herbin flexible wax just doesn't present the traditional effect I want, I gave that one away to a fellow FPNer.

—Cindy

“This is the sort of pedantry up with which I will not put.”

—Winston Churchill (attributed)

I absolutely LOVE it! If I wanted the seal to not be broken, I would probably use the wax seal higher in the middle on the top sheet right? I :wub: it! I am so excited! Thank you so very much!

John74, very nice!

—Cindy

“This is the sort of pedantry up with which I will not put.”

—Winston Churchill (attributed)

My favorite wax is from Colonial Williamsburg and it's the original burgundy wax of the olden days and often seen on framed certificates. My preference is the spoon over a candle method because the thicker seal looks better to me. I usually seal the envelope with it then place that into a larger envelope; I use one regular forever stamp with no problems. Only once (that I'm aware of) did a seal get a little crumbly, but never actually broken. The C.W. wax has never caught fire on me.

A little safety tip is to "weld" the short older stick-nub to the long, new stick which allows for a safe distance from the heat source.

The J Herbin flexible wax just doesn't present the traditional effect I want, I gave that one away to a fellow FPNer.

Great! I'll keep what you wrote in mind. I only purchased two sticks of the J. Herbin since I did not know whether I could wax seal or not and so I have no problem also experimenting with others. I only purchased one stick of the red and one of the silver to test wax sealing. I do have an interest in your preference, for now though I want to see whether I can master the wax stick and then move on to using the method you mention. Thank You so much, I am anxiously awaiting response from the two wax sealed correspondence sent out several days ago. I have found a new wonderful way to personalize written communication. Thanks again

Believe the one I was referring to began with someone looking for writing paper. However, the one you posted is even better! I thank you very much. I am really excited to learn there is very little I know about wax sealing and thrilled to learn as much as I can while also using wax seals. Thanks again.

Hey, that's my post you were talking about. :D

( "Gotta love them fountain pen people & what they worry about!" )

Innie or outie wax seal?

:lticaptd: That's awesome.

Anyway, I'm looking for a stamp to use right now. I want to use something that means something to me, not just a typical cursive letter that everyone uses. I found a place on etsy that can make any design you send them into a stamp, so now I'm working on some ideas. Can't wait to start sealing stuff. :D

Edited by J.L. Zenor

- Jon Zenor

Christian, Author, Starship Captain, and all around fun guy.

Follow me on Twitter: @JLZenor

Anyway, I'm looking for a stamp to use right now. I want to use something that means something to me, not just a typical cursive letter that everyone uses. I found a place on etsy that can make any design you send them into a stamp, so now I'm working on some ideas. Can't wait to start sealing stuff. :D

That looks like it. I remember the Star Trek outfit. Yet, what happened to Graystranger, think that moniker was also a person who was discussing wax seals. I am not there yet with trying to create one. I have gone as far as to have now a butterfly one and an ankh from many years ago. Believe I am awaiting a scroll and feather to denote a writer. I thought about a bee, thought about a dragonfly, but did not particularly care for either design. For now, I am definitely enjoying the journey.

Hey, that's my post you were talking about. :D

:lticaptd: That's awesome.

I had a lot of fun designing my own emblem. Ten years ago we had a big snow storm and no electricity for a week. So I passed the time by creating an emblem on paper using meaningful symbolism. I have since ordered wax seals and rubber stamps with my custom design. I am thinking about getting an embosser as well.

I had a lot of fun designing my own emblem. Ten years ago we had a big snow storm and no electricity for a week. So I passed the time by creating an emblem on paper using meaningful symbolism. I have since ordered wax seals and rubber stamps with my custom design. I am thinking about getting an embosser as well.

Do you have to draw the symbol? I might be able to do a rough of it, but believe I could probably find one of the net which would look better than I could draw it.