• Arkanabar

• haruka337

Iroshizuku Kon-peki

Iroshizuku Ku-jaku

Graf von Faber-Castell Stone Grey

Noodler's Bad Belted Kingfisher

Noodler's Liberty Elysium

Sailor Sei-Boku - hard to beat blue/black

Noodler's Bad Green Gator - yes it bleeds, yes it feathers, but great for checks due to durability and fast-dry.

Platinum Carbon Black/Sailor Kiwa-Guro - if you don't smudge it, will be there forever

Noodler's X-Feather - for those times when carbon inks might smudge

Just listed those for simply utility.

For writing joy:

Almost all Iroshizuku inks

Sailor - Sei-Boku

Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse reasons hath diverse names. -- T. Hobbes - Leviathan

I say go for weird or unique inks. Along those lines I would recommend one of these:

Sailor Pen and Message Cigar

KWZI, any of his non-blue IG (those are great as well, just not as unique)

Sailor Bung Box Ink of Witch

Montblanc Balzac Dandy Turquoise

Montblanc Leonardo Red Chalk

Noodler's Texas Blue Steel

Noodler's General of the Armies

Caran D'ache Divine Pink

Iroshizuku Fuyu-syogun

Iroshizuku Yama-budo

Sailor Ishida Bungu Seaweed Green-Brown

Sailor Kingdom Note Cicada

Sailor Yama-dori

Sailor Miruai

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af283/Runnin_Ute/fpn_1424623518__super_pinks-bottle%20resized_zps9ihtoixe.png

I intend to never be without Diamine Sherwood Green, and at least one at least partially bulletproof ink. For now, that's Red-Black. I intend to have a black, chosen from Noodler's Black, HoD, and BBM. I'm looking for my must-have red, brown, blue, and violet as well. My current candidates are Skrip Red, Noodler's Blue or Eel Blue, and Diamine Bilberry.

Zdez, with 40 samples, aren't there some you might like to try blending? With the usual caveats of waiting to see if anything strange happens before inking up a pen? Got a cheap (disposable-if-anything-strange-happens) pen handy? I would :) I'd probably do the poor man's chromotography on paper towel first as per Richard's website to see the inherent colours in the base inks (1 drop ink to 5 drops water on paper towel on non-porous surface) before choosing what to mix with what. Just an idea if you're after an elusive exclusive.

(I'm waiting on ink samples and particular bottled inks for this very adventure...)

Noodler's Konrad Acrylics (normal+Da Luz custom flex) ~ Lamy AL-Stars/Vista F/M/1.1 ~ Handmade Barry Roberts Dayacom M ~ Waterman 32 1/2, F semi-flex nib ~ Conklin crescent, EF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen EEF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen semi-flex M ~ Jinhao X450s ~ Pilot Custom Heritage 912 Posting Nib ~ Sailor 1911 Profit 21k Rhodium F. Favourite inks: Iroshizuku blends, Noodler's CMYK blends.

I intend to never be without Diamine Sherwood Green, and at least one at least partially bulletproof ink. For now, that's Red-Black. I intend to have a black, chosen from Noodler's Black, HoD, and BBM. I'm looking for my must-have red, brown, blue, and violet as well. My current candidates are Skrip Red, Noodler's Blue or Eel Blue, and Diamine Bilberry.

Can't believe I forgot to mention the candidate for brown: Diamine Chocolate.

• 4 weeks later...

J Herbin Poussiere de Lune

De Atramentis Mint Turquoise

a brown ink

a non-standard blue like Waterman (formerly South Seas Blue) Inspired Blue

Gray inks come in dark to light. There are plenty of reviews on gray (grey) inks

I have the inks I mentioned by name. My browns are Waterman and Noodler's Walnut

My gray is Diamine but I wish it was J Herbin Gris Nuage.

Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...

I guess this became a "what's your favorite ink?" thread. I am not sure if the OP wanted recommendations of favorites or not, but I was expecting people would only recommend those inks they believe have very special properties and enjoyable colors. Inks that could be standards for an specific purpose, or overall classics/new classics. I doubt I have experienced any ink that convinced me of being a must-have. Some of them have nice colors (Diamine Sherwood Green/Red Dragon/Ancient Copper, Sheaffer Brown), but I can't say they are must haves, they don't have any uniqueness to them that other similar colors couldn't offer. Let's see when I get my hands into Shin-Kai, maybe I will notice it makes pens smoother and has some partial water resistance, while looking great. I read a lot of people recommending Pilot Blue-Black and I found the color to be bland, and it feels less lubricated than Pilot Blue, which feels more interesting color-wise. Both of them have good water resistance and can stick to pens clear parts.

I guess this became a "what's your favorite ink?" thread. I am not sure if the OP wanted recommendations of favorites or not, but I was expecting people would only recommend those inks they believe have very special properties and enjoyable colors. Inks that could be standards for an specific purpose, or overall classics/new classics. I doubt I have experienced any ink that convinced me of being a must-have. Some of them have nice colors (Diamine Sherwood Green/Red Dragon/Ancient Copper, Sheaffer Brown), but I can't say they are must haves, they don't have any uniqueness to them that other similar colors couldn't offer. Let's see when I get my hands into Shin-Kai, maybe I will notice it makes pens smoother and has some partial water resistance, while looking great. I read a lot of people recommending Pilot Blue-Black and I found the color to be bland, and it feels less lubricated than Pilot Blue, which feels more interesting color-wise. Both of them have good water resistance and can stick to pens clear parts.

I do these because it invites conversation. :)

As for favorite inks, my favorites are obscure inks made from powder. My must have inks, are ones that I would buy again if I ran out, or I have backups in case I run out. My preferences change over time, but on this list is Dromgoole's Blue Steel, Noodler's Bay State Blue and Polar Blue was replaced by PR DC Super Show Blue. While that sounds like a lot of blue, those are the inks that I have in larger quantities and I think are worth using frequently and often. Keep in mind that only DBS is always inked for me.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I wanted to hear what the fpn as a whole recommends. Maybe they are their favorites, maybe not. It's just kind of had to try to pick an ink to try out when there's more than 1 thousand options. I now have a list I'm ordering 5 at a time and rotate around.

And don't forget the wonder of samples as a cost effective way to try some of these recommendations.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

My only real "must have" ink is Noodler's Black. It is the most practical and usable ink I own. It works good on any paper, doesn't bleed or feather, and is bulletproof. The only downside is that on better paper it can be slow drying. But that is the compromise you make for having an ink that is so versatile. It also doesn't have the far too wet, feathering/wooly line problem of the rest of the bulletproof line.

That said, it isn't my favorite. Black is a bit boring. My favorite ink is Diamine Sherwood Green, it isn't really a must have unless you are looking for a green that isn't garish and can be used every day. It is the first ink I actually liked enough to buy a 2nd bottle. I will also get another bottle of Noodler's Black when it runs out.

I have a lot of inks that after I got them, I ask myself "why did I get this...". Those include Noodler's Bad Belted Kingfisher, Burgundy, Purple Heart, Brown, Private Reserve Fiesta Red, Tanzanite.

i just got a few mini iroshizukus and a pair of DA document inks to add in my collection as well as more samples. I love how i can have a decent amount of iroshizuku ink and alot more options. Be sure to check them at Vanness, they re just perfect if you want a good supply but cant really commit to a full 50ml

arcadeflow-

It is safe to say that the "must have" inks noted within this thread is a matter of personal preference, so it's not unusual that you'd find some of the recommendations (in your opinion) less than stellar. Personally, I love Blue/black inks; find it to be a rather soothing, gentle color (including Pilot's take on it). Again, just preference.

Though, I will say that, perhaps, instead of just listing inks, many of us (including myself) should have noted why the inks were "must have" material.

So let me restate my recommendations:

Noodler's "Black Swan in English Rose":

Goes on like dried blood, but settles into a deep, dusty rose color with black peeking through its heavy shading. Its charming properties are best seen when paired with "wet" pens with a high ink flow. Still a nice color in (Japanese) F & (Japanese) EF nibs, but not as lush and feels a bit drier when writing. This is my current favorite ink.

Diamine "Ox Blood":

I've seen it used in letters from pen pals and I INSTANTLY fell in love with it. The color, a true "dried blood", looks gorgeous on paper and looks equally lovely in all nib sizes ("dry" or "wet" pens). And the shading! It's no wonder that this ink is one of Diamine's best sellers.

Diamine "Majestic Blue": A velvety blue with moderate shading. It has a curious rudy cast around the edges in areas where the ink is oversaturated, which gives the ink further depth. writes beautifully in all nib sizes, but the reddish cast is mostly seen in "wet" pens.

Ink, a drug.

― Vladimir Nabokov, Bend Sinister

Instagram:
a.transient.life

My point of view for "must have inks" is very technical. One needs to have at least two inks. One bottle of very dry and one bottle of wet lubricated ink.

For example Pelikan 4001 & Noodlers bulletproofs are quite nice dry inks. Waterman's & De Artamentis Document inks are rather wet.

If i would need to pick a third bottle i would pick one carbon ink (maybe Sailor's and not Platinum's.

Now i just need to explain the 20+ bottles i have..

Non notisi signi.