Good, Tough, Cheap Pen

william2001

First off, buy a pen case. Such a simple solution.

School kids carried fountain pens to school in the 40's, 50's, and 60's, mostly without destroying them. Soldiers took them to both world wars. You can do it too. Sure, there will be accidents, but you shouldn't set out thinking you are going to trash every pen you have. It doesn't have to be that way.

Having said that, the Platinum Plaisir is pretty bomb-proof for $22. It has a special spring-loaded inner cap so it won't dry out, which is a terrific feature not found on very many pens at any price range. You can swap out the nib and feed unit with the $3 Platinum Preppy so as long as you don't lose the aluminum cap and body it is only $3 to fix. But the Plaisir with some extra cartridges and a couple Preppy's for spare parts and you are set for years.

Also, take a look at the Chinese and Indian fountain pens that were suggested, like Boaer and Airmail. School kids still use fountain pens in those countries so they will have something in common with you.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KBeezie

• The Blue Knight

• Namru

• william2001

shoot. now I want a kaweco.

Sometimes the cat needs a new cat toy. And sometimes I need a new pen.

Schrade Tactical Pen!

http://tinyurl.com/ltfsfbj

Don't think of it as a weapon. It is a tough pen, and it writes wonderfully.

And it looks cool. I have the copper color.

And you could easily drive over it in a tank without harming it.

Youtube review:

http://tinyurl.com/kpucrwo

Under $30, and converts to a rollerball with included pieces.

Really, it writes great!

Cheers,

“It’s better to light a candle than curse the darkness

Two of my graduate students picked up Pilot Metropolitans during the $10 Staples sale. they love those pens as much as some of their more expensive numbers.

One of my other students got a Lamy Safari, which is the often recommended hard-working pen. Maybe not the most attractive number, but it will handle most middle school sensibilities. When my student's first Lamy was lost/stolen, he was inconsolable until we got him a new one at a pen show.

There is also the Platinum Plaisir, also at Goulet; no affiliation, but I was on their web site earlier today - http://www.gouletpens.com/Platinum_Plaisir_s/880.htm. One of my students has a couple of these, and seems very happy with it. She has a fine nib, which I personally think needs a bit of adjusting, but overall a good pen.

Monteverde has some good stock in this price range; nibs like nails, and sometimes hard starters, but once they get going they will be fine.

Retro 51 has some FPs; no affiliation to this shop other than I was on their site today and saw them - http://www.penplace.com/Retro-1951-Tornado-Fountain-Pens-s/1974.htm

Sharon in Indiana

I second the nomination of the Monteverde, Pilot Metropolitan (even at regular price of $15!), and Retro 51. All solid performers. If you can somehow boost your budget to the $100 ~ $140 range, look for Pelikan M2xx pens.

Moshe ben David

"Behold, He who watches over Israel neither slumbers nor sleeps!"

I gave each student in my class, 15 in all, an Oliver Exam as part of a project and they liked them well enough. Those are inexpensive, sturdy Indian piston fillers, much like the FPR Guru or Serwex, with a nice ink capacity per fill. And they are pretty inexpensive, so if you break or misplace it or it gets "borrowed" permanently, it's no hardship to replace it. They come in a number of different colors, even a clear demonstrator, so you can see how the ink moves inside the pen. That is an attraction for kids of all ages...

And you could look at other Indian pens, which indeed are used today as school pens: inexpensive, sturdy, and with sufficient ink capacity for a busy day in school...

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

I've had 2 Parker Frontiers and they've both sucked - terrible ink flow - even with Parker's own cartridges - lots of false starts and generally rubbish. The P45 is better - especially if you get a steel flighter - you have to give the cartridges a firm push for them to click into place.

I've had 2 Parker Frontiers and they've both sucked - terrible ink flow - even with Parker's own cartridges - lots of false starts and generally rubbish. The P45 is better - especially if you get a steel flighter - you have to give the cartridges a firm push for them to click into place.

That is strange! Were the grip sections rubbery or plain plastic?

In the latter you had Luxor ones which are generally not as high quality as the UK made ones. I really rate the UK ones, they are superb.

I have a Parker Frontier too with a medium italic nib and I haven't inked it up in several years because it skips. I just don't like it, but my opinion is based upon the single pen.

It may look childish but a Pelikano Junior is a tough dependable pen that one can find for under $15 dollars. I just paid $10 and some change for one.

Parker 45, as others have said. It's solid, very reliable, cartridge or converter, looks good (especially the Flighter), and for £15-£20 ($25-35) you get a vintage pen with a 14K gold nib. Only downsides are the nib is a bit broad (fine is nearer medium) and it doesn't post securely, although it feels right unposted).

With $100 you could get two, or a 45 and something else (I'd be tempted with a Kaweco Sport!).

That is strange! Were the grip sections rubbery or plain plastic?

In the latter you had Luxor ones which are generally not as high quality as the UK made ones. I really rate the UK ones, they are superb.

Both are English. One was bought in the shops and another was NOS which I bought very recently. My Vector (from the 90's) still works - it needs a run under a tap every so often - the P45 I bought (from '71) worked after a run under a tap. I think the frontiers have variable performance. In my experience there are better pens out there for the money.

A Parker 45 - the Flighters are especially nice - I have one of each type.

Pilot Metropolitan is sturdy and a terrific writer.

Parker IM - in fact, I have an IM Premium that doesn't get much use. It is yours if you would like it. It is the Twin Chiseled Metal version. Will send with converter. Just PM me your information.

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af283/Runnin_Ute/ParkerSkyfall-a_zpsf9f0d3b4.jpg

The Safari and Al Star are solid pens as well. I have an Al Star. Runs about $10 more than the Safari and is aluminum. Some people don't think they are as solid as the abs plastic of the Safari. I prefer it, it was my first fountain pen back in the late 1990's. Sure it has a couple of dings, but that gives it some character.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

from high price / quality to low,

lamy safari, its indestructible short of dropping it nib down and performs very well.

jinhao x450, for about $5 shipped its a very nice bold writer.

box of 10 hero 616's, about $20 for the box shipped, performs about the same as a parker 21 for the price of a good disposable rollerball pen. no need to worry if its lost damaged or stolen.

for the jinhao and the heros i definitely second the recommendation of getting some 2000+ grit sandpaper to smooth out those nibs a bit.

from high price / quality to low,

lamy safari, its indestructible short of dropping it nib down and performs very well.

jinhao x450, for about $5 shipped its a very nice bold writer.

box of 10 hero 616's, about $20 for the box shipped, performs about the same as a parker 21 for the price of a good disposable rollerball pen. no need to worry if its lost damaged or stolen.

for the jinhao and the heros i definitely second the recommendation of getting some 2000+ grit sandpaper to smooth out those nibs a bit.

12,000 grit micro-mesh works better, you just do a figure-8 on the micro-mesh while inked, occasionally writing on paper you're used to until you get it about how you want it. (sandpaper in general could leave particulates, and more likely to make the tipping too rough).

But I have done that with a Hero 616, Jinhao X750's stock nib, and a Jinhao 159 (same as X750's) stock nib, with the last one with a tiny bit more glassyness added via 1.0 and 0.3 micron mylar paper.

Edited by KBeezie

Having been a 13 year old middle schooler at one point in my life and having lived around my fair share of them as an adult, I feel pretty confident in saying this: At some point, your pen will get lost, broken or stolen. With that in mind, I'd recommend that you set your budget for whatever you feel comfortable losing. If it were me, I would probably go for one of the Hero or Jinhao pens or, at the outside, a Pilot Metropolitan. I wouldn't spend much more than $15 or $20.

Having seen my fair share of lost, broken and stolen iPhones, iPads, iPods, video cameras, skateboards, etc., etc., there's great value in finding a balance between quality and cost. Sometimes it's worth it to bite the bullet and scrimp on quality in favor of cost when the likelihood of a repeat purchase before the thing wears out is high. Just sayin'.

-Drew

http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o715/drew_dunn1/Clan-MacNeil-Buaidh-No-Bas-Victory-or-Death_zps051b46b5.jpg

I used a Parker 45 from senior year in high school through four years at college. I was well-served with a very reliable pen.

Forty years later, I still carry the Parker 45 everyday. If it is a bit slender for your tastes, a LAMY Safari (Vista is a clear Safari.)

would be my current choice for school.

I have the most "beat-up" LAMY Vista anybody has ever seen It still writes fine.

fpn_1344918452__1960s_vista.jpg

Personally, I suspect my friend who gave this to me, made a mistake. I suspect it is more likely 1970-ish. Still, it was

beaten,, bitten, chipped, buried, and stained by "you-don't-wanna-know". Writes fine.

Edited by Sasha Royale

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

William, you seem to be a Parker guy. The 25 is a very durable pen which is relatively inexpensive used off eBay. Not for flex fans, as i think you could punch holes in leather with the nib, but that's part of the durability.

Other than that I second the 45 flighter or Kaweco sport.

Brian

One test is worth a thousand expert opinions.

So William any idea what you are going to go for know you have had a lot of suggestions.

I used a Parker 45 from senior year in high school through four years at college. I was well-served with a very reliable pen.

Forty years later, I still carry the Parker 45 everyday. If it is a bit slender for your tastes, a LAMY Safari (Vista is a clear Safari.)

would be my current choice for school.

I have the most "beat-up" LAMY Vista anybody has ever seen It still writes fine.

fpn_1344918452__1960s_vista.jpg

Personally, I suspect my friend who gave this to me, made a mistake. I suspect it is more likely 1970-ish. Still, it was

beaten,, bitten, chipped, buried, and stained by "you-don't-wanna-know". Writes fine.

I don't think there was a Safari demonstrator until the 90s, so that thing must have really been beaten. Edited by Namru

If you can afford it, get your name engraved onto the pen.

Even back in the day of the silver dime and B&W TV there were pen collectors....who would have not collected my pen had it my name on it.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

My vote goes for two very different pens. Kaweco Sport is a nice looking pen and takes standard universal cartridges. Lamy Logo is a beautiful steel pen but uses only Lamy cartridges or obviously a converter.

My Lamy Logo is a real workhorse. I strongly recommend it.

--flatline