Classifieds is broken, please do not submit any new ads ×

Possible Sheaffer Balance 500

SyntheticEvil13

So I just picked up a new pen today. From what I can tell it's a Sheaffer Balance 500 Golden Brown Striated with a radius clip and a Feather Touch 5 nib. If I'm wrong on any point please point them out. I plan on sending it out in the near future for some TLC restoration along with one or two more. I picked it up for $15, I don't think that's too bad...is it?

http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag116/SyntheticEvil13/Mobile%20Uploads/20140613_152630_zpsr2ueot2p.jpg

http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag116/SyntheticEvil13/Mobile%20Uploads/20140613_152658_zpsukcte6jy.jpg

http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag116/SyntheticEvil13/Mobile%20Uploads/20140613_152723_zpsd0jpxtpn.jpg

http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag116/SyntheticEvil13/Mobile%20Uploads/CM140613-15280801_zpsndhyyvjo.jpg

Richard...Lord of the Obvious

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ernst Bitterman

• Larry Barrieau

• Tylerjordan

• SyntheticEvil13

Not too bad at all, and it seems I've somehow beaten the rush to mention that the number is just a price code, and the model name is Admiral. It looks like you've got pretty good clarity on the window, too.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

Thanks everyone! I can't wait to send it off to get it restored. I think it looks nice now and I can't wait to see what it looks like when I get it back. How are the Feather Touch nibs? I'm going to give it a try when it get back but, should I be looking for a replacement nib for it?

No, keep that nib. I'm just about to post a photo of a Balance 500 with a military clip that I've just restored with a Feathertouch 5. It's a lovely nib. But this won't be such a difficult pen for you to resac for yourself. Thought of giving that a try?

No, keep that nib. I'm just about to post a photo of a Balance 500 with a military clip that I've just restored with a Feathertouch 5. It's a lovely nib. But this won't be such a difficult pen for you to resac for yourself. Thought of giving that a try?

I'll have to check your pen out. I have thought about doing it myself but, it's more than just the sac. I'm going to get the scratches buffed out and just a thorough clean up. It's my first striated pen and the gold brown just looks amazing to me. It reminds of a Tiger's Eye gemstone.

Usually on the stiff side, but otherwise AMAZING.

That's good to know. Flex isn't that big of a deal to me so, I'll just keep it. Thanks everyone for all the info and help.

• 2 weeks later...

Ernst, how can you tell it's an admiral? What is the range of dates which would include this pen? I suspect they are fairly common as I have one also. (At least it looks like a twin.)

Larry

To better see my icon http://fpnlcb.shutterfly.com/pictures

Looking for a black SJ Transitional Esterbrook Pen. (It's smaller than an sj)

Price code, shape of hardware, the relative length/girth (telling between an Admiral and a Milady is tricky...) and a willingness to have someone with better resources at hand point out why I'm wrong ;)

With Balance dating, I generally check memory against the page for the model in the reference department at Richard's Pens, whence I am reminded that this clip arises no earlier than late 1935. I might yet be out, as Sheaffer didn't switch from model numbers to names until about '38... but no one's yelled at me yet (in this thread).

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

Thanks everyone! I can't wait to send it off to get it restored. I think it looks nice now and I can't wait to see what it looks like when I get it back. How are the Feather Touch nibs? I'm going to give it a try when it get back but, should I be looking for a replacement nib for it?

I recently got a nice 5 Feather Touch on a TD. It writes very smooth and has a decent amount of flex. Here's a sample: http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww302/tjjonhunter/IMG_0023.jpg

Edited by Tylerjordan