Parker Bottles Through The Years

Tommy

I've accumulated a few older Parker ink bottles over time, and I thought I would share a picture. It's interesting to see how the design has changed over time. Anyone have any others that I may be missing? I'm assuming the micro film black bottle is the oldest, probably 1930s, followed by the blue diamond shaped bottle, then the superchrome, and then the two on the right.

Tom

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn133/tom1415/parkerbottles003.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ANM

• Florida Blue

• Matth13

• white_lotus

Nice picture. The Parker Penman bottles are pretty cool too. They have a plastic insert so you can invert the bottle to fill the insert. Handy when the ink gets low in the bottle.

http://www.steytler.com/images/penman.jpg

Nice collection!

The Microfilm Black is the from the 1940s. Parker produced it around WWII and advertised it as a suitable ink to use for writing letters to troops overseas, also known as V-mail (Victory Mail). When you sent a letter to a solider you had to write it on a special V-mail sheet. The message was photographed using microphotography and then sent to soldiers where it was reproduced on a card. Parker advertised their Microfilm black ink as being specially designed for use in V-mail.

The bottle of Superchrome is probably from the 40s too. Superchrome came out in 1941 in conjunction with the 51. The blue diamond shaped bottle of Super Quink is from the 1960s. Those are cool bottles. Probably my favorite Parker ink bottle design.

Edited by Florida Blue

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

By the way, I think the diamond shaped bottle is from the 60s, later than Superchrome ink.

Nice additions to my list. Penman would be nice to have, but they are out of my price range :) The Duofold ink is cool too. Interesting that the "51" bottle is labeled "for the 51 only".

Interesting that the "51" bottle is labeled "for the 51 only".

That's because it was formulated for use only in the 51. The Parker 51 and the earlier Superchrome ink was highly alkaline and corrosive. The 51 was made from Lucite, which could withstand the ink. The Vacumatic was in production at the same time as the 51, but the 51 ink dissolved celluloid, so Parker wanted to make sure that customers used it only in 51s.

Edited by Florida Blue

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

I've accumulated a few older Parker ink bottles over time, and I thought I would share a picture. It's interesting to see how the design has changed over time. Anyone have any others that I may be missing? I'm assuming the micro film black bottle is the oldest, probably 1930s, followed by the blue diamond shaped bottle, then the superchrome, and then the two on the right.

Tom

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn133/tom1415/parkerbottles003.jpg

I just purchased a few bottles like the one on the left. The caps are rusted on two of them. Does anyone know what size and type of cap would serve as a replacement?

I just purchased a few bottles like the one on the left. The caps are rusted on two of them. Does anyone know what size and type of cap would serve as a replacement?

If they're not completely rusted through, I would just clean them up with steel wool or a wire wheel and maybe reline the inside with cardboard if needed. That would keep it more original looking.

Not sure if this is a good enough picture to illustrate it but the caps on those bottles aren't threaded. They are crimped on two sides then the bottle threads are separated so the crimps can fit through the gaps and then tighten with a quarter twist. I think it will be difficult to find caps for these bottles other than Parker caps.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii101/matthewsno/DSCN1442_zpsddb28a72.jpg

And the end of all our exploring

Will be to arrive where we started

And know the place for the first time. TS Eliot

PS. I have some very early Sheaffer ink bottles that were stoppered with corks. If you don't find any caps for your bottles but still want to use them, you might consider using corks.

That's because it was formulated for use only in the 51. The Parker 51 and the earlier Superchrome ink was highly alkaline and corrosive. The 51 was made from Lucite, which could withstand the ink. The Vacumatic was in production at the same time as the 51, but the 51 ink dissolved celluloid, so Parker wanted to make sure that customers used it only in 51s.

The top of the cardboard box of the bottle of Superchrome says "for the Parker "21 and "51" Pens only. Because the "21" is mentioned, I think the Super chrome is later, not earlier than the "51" ink.

The top of the cardboard box of the bottle of Superchrome says "for the Parker "21 and "51" Pens only. Because the "21" is mentioned, I think the Super chrome is later, not earlier than the "51" ink.

Yes, you are right. It was Parker 51 ink first (1941) and then came Superchrome (1947). The first Superchrome inks came in metal tins so that should be something the OP should look out for too.

I also have a bottle for Quink that was the shape before the WWII Art Deco style bottle.

http://i966.photobucket.com/albums/ae149/thefancyman/8de394ac-9c9a-4856-85c7-772bb7a1fa43_zps3a52be9e.jpg

Parker produced this bottle from 1931 until the late 1930s. Originally they had bakelite plastic screw-on caps. Parker also made smaller bottles of Quink (this is a 4 oz. bottle) like the one icardoth has. Quink was launched in 1931 with this distinctive bottle.

Edited by Florida Blue

I have a Parker bottle I found at a local antique shop. Here are a couple pics. The bottom reads

Parker

Made in U.S.A.

2 oz.

J-210 59 cc. MC-210

Don't really know when this was produced. anyone know?

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/uploads/imgs/fpn_1401148395__img_2166.jpg

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/uploads/imgs/fpn_1401148572__img_2167.jpg

Yes, you are right. It was Parker 51 ink first (1941) and then came Superchrome (1947). The first Superchrome inks came in metal tins so that should be something the OP should look out for too.

I also have a bottle for Quink that was the shape before the WWII Art Deco style bottle.

http://i966.photobucket.com/albums/ae149/thefancyman/8de394ac-9c9a-4856-85c7-772bb7a1fa43_zps3a52be9e.jpg

Parker produced this bottle from 1931 until the late 1930s. Originally they had bakelite plastic screw-on caps. Parker also made smaller bottles of Quink (this is a 4 oz. bottle) like the one icardoth has. Quink was launched in 1931 with this distinctive bottle.

That is a very attractive bottle.

I have a Parker bottle I found at a local antique shop. Here are a couple pics.

The bottle was used from about 1938 until about 1947/8. It was used for Quink and later Double Quink. ANM's picture has that bottle with the original labels and lids.

That is a very attractive bottle.

Thanks. That shape is really pretty.