Jinhao # 159 - The Shanghai Kid Comes To The Heartland

Kansas Pen

The Tall Dark Stranger turned his horse toward Texas Street as he rode into Abilene Town. He'd signed on as a drover with the cowboys bringing their cattle up to the rail head in Abilene Town, Kansas - The Heartland. It was a hard dusty ride up the famous Chisholm Trail from Wichita. Yet he showed none of the bone deep tiredness of the others.

The Stranger didn't speak much on the ride. Most of the men stayed away from him. He was just that big and scary. A few tried to get him to talk and see where he had come from, but they were met with a steely stare, a far off look that would send chills down your spine. “Not from around these parts” was the obvious unspoken answer to that question anyway. The Stranger's horse was his only friend.

He was an ominous figure, taller than most men. Slender, save for a muscled upper body that spoke of an inner strength. He wore a long black duster and black chaps, and his side arms were of a glistening silver steel.
His spurs were bigger and shinier than most of the other drovers or Cowboys for that matter, and they made a sharp sound

“Ka-Chang, Ka-Chang, Ka-Chang, ...

…........ as he walked down the old wooden boardwalk. He stopped in front of the Bull's Head Tavern parched from the dust and heat the Chisholm Trail met out. He pushed his broad bulky shoulders against the swinging doors like he owned the place, still swathed in his black duster and black chaps. He was an ominous figure to say the least. The citizen's of Abilene Town were used to all kind of drovers and cowboys during the great cattle drives. This one was clearly different. Darker. Taller, Stranger.

The cattle drives were a necessity as the closest rail lines from Texas to the East were right there in Abilene Town, a tradition hailing back to the days of James Butler Hickok – the famous “Wild Bill”. Arguably the fastest gunman of the Old West. And “Wild Bill” in his fame, brought many men to Abilene to fight and try their luck of the draw. All of them failed. He had ended the lives of 36 men during his days with his pistols.

He'd kept the peace in Abilene Town until he accidentally shot his own deputy during the gunfight on Texas street. Hickok's sight was failing and when he heard the running footsteps on the old boardwalk he turned and fired in an instant and killed his friend. The town folk were tired of all the gunfights and commotion. And now Hickok was just an old memory. He never was the same and the Town forced him out. He died in Deadwood, S.D., holding a hand of black aces and eights. The Deadman's Hand. KIlled from behind by the cowardly Jack McCall.

This stranger was well – even stranger. And it was clear from his mighty heft that he had a pair of..... well Brass finials. Guts of Brass? He was a towering figure, taller than most. Could he stand up to the infamy of the “famous one”, …
or was he just a "Paper Tiger”?
It was a plain simple fact that he would be tested. And he would be tested hard. The showdown was soon to come.

There was a group of men at one of the tables, farmers who had brought their wheat into town for sale. Two of them were recent immigrants from Germany. One of them turned to his friend and said

”Hans look, LOOK, it is the Meisterstuck from Hamburg. Hans immediately turned and looked at the Stranger intently

“Nein Gunther” his friend said, “that is the Stranger from Jinhao. The Shanghai Kid

The Dark Stranger sauntered up to the bar and the bartender Smiley asked “Wadda you have Stranger?”

“Give me some Water-man ..... with a shot of South Sea Blue”, said he.

Stay thirsty my friends.

There's a new Boss in Town.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bbbiswas

• Kansas Pen

• jebib

• MBFan

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep - more on it later as I try it out.

As one owner has said, the body does not feel like exposed metal at all. Reminds me somewhat of a Waterman Carene - an acrylic over metal (brass) body. I noticed at least with the upper finial inside that it is made of brass as well. I really like the heft of it. I am almost sure the outer cap of the 159 is molded - you can tell from the threads. But again the inside is brass. A really nice, luxury feel to the pen overall. Can't believe it can be bought and delivered for under $10.

It is oddly enough longer than a Duofold Centennial capped. Then posted the Duofold is longer, due to the way the Duofold cap holds it (as in not as tightly).

The nib is very smooth, perhaps a little smoother than the Jinhao 950 Porcelain that I got last month. I am very impressed with the Jinhao nib quality so far. They must be doing some hand finishing to get it so the shoulders are not sharp either. I appreciate that. My Jinhao X450 is a couple of years old now probably. I think the newer nibs on my 950 and this 159 are better. That speaks well of Jinhao's increasing quality. The 950 nib has run nice and fluid for the past two weeks - testing with Hero #233 Blue. I fear staining, but have not had any. I watch it each day. I put the Hero # 234 "Carbon Black" Black into my drawer with a note to myself "Do not use on regular fountain pens" due to clogging fears. So far the blue looks like it will stay fluid - the color is outstanding and no nib or convertor body staining as of yet. Lighter than Aurora that is a favorite. I think I like the Hero brightness better.

As I mentioned in the saga, I'm using Waterman South Sea Blue in the Jinhao #159 received today. Normally that bottle is promised to my Parker Centennial Duofold with an Oblique nib tweaked while the nib artisans were still in Janesville. I'll see how it goes. It may stay in the 159 for a while.

By the way although the listing on the 159 said "Broad Nib", I'd call it a wide medium.

I've only heard one person that did not really like the 159 - now I know why. It's wonderful quality for the money.

I've been really impressed with mine, which has been inked as an office pen for a couple of seeks now. Writes at the first stroke, no questions asked. At that price range, I have no qualms leaving it unattended on my desk at work, and I don't think anyone will write with enough pressure to ruin that manifold nib.

Looking for an Omas Arco Verde...the one that got away.

The pen is so good at such a reasonable price it must be an anomaly.

I've heard similar comments bout the X750, but it's one of those things where you don't know how much nicer it is than the X750 til you actually try the 159, it's not quite the same, and it explains why even domestic places have a couple dollars over the X750/X450 on the price list.

Granted of course if you don't like large pens in general you won't like the 159, but that's not an issue specifically of the 159.

I'm using a Goulet 2-tone Medium in mine, and it's a beautiful match-up.

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/jinhao159/marble_full.jpg

Edited by KBeezie

I agree with the above. Managed to win an eBay offering for 99 cents and free shipping. Seems as good as anything I have. Amazing.

KBeezie

"Granted of course if you don't like large pens in general you won't like the 159, but that's not an issue specifically of the 159. "

Well said. I like longer heftier pens in this kind of pattern that make me feel I have bought something worthwhile, substantial.

It was your review that gave me comfort as I waited for my own 159 to arrive. A very well done review by the way. I am very satisfied with this pen, it's geometry, it's heft, and it's feeling of an expensive well made performer.

I still am not sure of the the material of the body and cap on the outside. It has the feel of a resin, but is it? And we both know the heft is coming from the brass inserts which really does remind me of the Waterman Carenes I own. They are a "bunch" more dollars than this Jinhao to say the least. I certainly cannot complain about the relative value I received with this pen. It fairly "boggles" the mind that they can build such a pen for under $10.

My nib is very smooth and performs well, although I was hoping that it was going to be a real "broad" as the eBay listing said. I think the Chinese are saying "Broad" in the eBay listings based on their experience with Chinese and especially Japanese makers. But it was perfect right after my "flush and rinse and fill". It flows very well with an older Waterman South Seas Blue that I have on hand for several years. I did not use it much until I retired recently. I have recently started to thin the older inks I have so I get better usability. So the 159 working with the old Waterman so well it a good indication that it has a good feed system.

I wish I could do the same with my old self. LOL

I do plan to fit one of the Goulet nibs (most likely 1.1mm stub) on it after I've had some time with it. That will also give me some time to "earmark" an ink for it. I just got some Diamine Ancient Copper in today. My Baoer 509 Copper/Brass color came in two days ago and I used it for the Ancient Copper ink. Seemed appropriate. eh?

Another Baoer/Jinhao winner, glass smooth nib and the Diamine ink is stellar! Now I have to get the other two color of the "Eight Horses" series. I am really big on the "bas relief" of the carvings on these pens. Another remarkable value.

I really like this Ancient Copper Diamine. It will probably go into my Duofold Centennial with Oblique nib when I use up it's current Ink. Should shade with that pen/ink remarkably well.

All in all, this is a lot of fun. And it costs less than a theatre ticket. And I can make good popcorn at home.

And again - great review of the 159 on your part. I have been following a lot of your suggestions for info. Thanks

• 1 month later...

I bought a Janhao 159 this week for $9 (shipping included). For its price it is a very good pen. I find my pen's nib has 18KGP embossed on it. But I don't think they have plated the steel nib with white gold. If they could improve the ink-converter a bit nobody would be able to find fault with this pen.

I've heard similar comments bout the X750, but it's one of those things where you don't know how much nicer it is than the X750 til you actually try the 159, it's not quite the same, and it explains why even domestic places have a couple dollars over the X750/X450 on the price list.

Granted of course if you don't like large pens in general you won't like the 159, but that's not an issue specifically of the 159.

I'm using a Goulet 2-tone Medium in mine, and it's a beautiful match-up.

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/jinhao159/marble_full.jpg

Just could you please tell how you replaced the nib. Do you have to pull the nib or unscrew it? I guess it should be the latter but I don't want to take chance. I will be happy if Jowo#6 nib will fit. I have one spare of this.

I agree with the above. Managed to win an eBay offering for 99 cents and free shipping. Seems as good as anything I have. Amazing.

I am curious to know whether the seller shipped the pen to you.