Pay It Forward 2014

zoniguana

A PM sent to Rare. Thank you for these opportunities. I just discovered Goulet pens website two nights ago and have several inks in my cart. I don't own any bottles yet and only have one pen. (One on the way). I am looking forward to experimenting with inks.

I would like to come up with a few to grade papers with, write with, and to draw with so I have lots of ideas. All of the assistance from FPN has been very helpful.

Love Goulet! Great place to learn and shop. I would recommend the Pilot Metropolitan. It's a good solid pen with a nice nib , not too expensive, and the italic nib from the Plumix will fit in it. :)

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• alc3261

• amberleadavis

• KBeezie

• mhguda

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I received a lot of responses to this PIF offer. Thanks to all of you willing to take these items off my hands! I made my choice based on who pm'd me first and what they were interested in receiving.

Special thanks to Amberlea, who was the second to pm me, but relinquished her claim in favor of others!

Glad they all went to loving homes. :)

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I have a Noodler's Ahab (see attached) to PIF.. for all the good things i am learning here. Only USA, hopefully a newcomer. Tell me what you use fountain pens for and why via PM. The best description wins it

Next friday. No contestants, first response after 12pm est friday wins.

pm sent

Love Goulet! Great place to learn and shop. I would recommend the Pilot Metropolitan. It's a good solid pen with a nice nib , not too expensive, and the italic nib from the Plumix will fit in it. :)

To add to this- I just got a Pilot MR in fine and I have a Pilot MR in medium on loan. I actually almost wish I'd gone with the medium- it writes finer than my Jinhao x750 (med) and is so smooth. The Jinhao x750 is also a great pen. Esp. for being just $10.

I have a Noodler's Ahab (see attached) to PIF.. for all the good things i am learning here. Only USA, hopefully a newcomer. Tell me what you use fountain pens for and why via PM. The best description wins it

Next friday. No contestants, first response after 12pm est friday wins.

I take this as you don't want any PM's before 12pm est next Friday, yet members seem to be sending them

I take this as you don't want any PM's before 12pm est next Friday, yet members seem to be sending them

No, no, no... If no contestants, I will award to first after 12 PM friday.... The PIF is ON and has been ON since there have been a few requests... Don't worry!

Edited by Lamyrada

I may be struck down by the fountain pen gods for this (please don't!), but I have 2 Mont Blanc blue medium ballpoint refills I'd like to give away. The packages were opened but the refills are BRAND NEW. As I don't own any Mont Blancs (yet) I'd like to see these go to someone who can use them.

To keep shipping costs down I'd like to send them within the U.S., but if you REALLY, REALLY need them I'd consider sending overseas. PM me and let me know!

(I suppose if there are no takers I'll have to put them on...dare I say it...eBay... :yikes: )

Well, it looks like I'll be able to avoid the dreaded 'Bay after all...congratulations Chrissy!

I really didn't think I'd find a taker, so I'm glad she is giving my orphan MB refills a good home.

To keep shipping costs down I'd like to send them within the U.S., but if you REALLY, REALLY need them I'd consider sending overseas.

Not that I was interested in the refills but this statement begs the question.... where does Canada fit in? We're not ConUS but we're not overseas either. We're norther. Just sayin'. :unsure:

Your life is the result of the choices you make. If you don’t like your life, it’s time to start making better choices.

- unknown -

I do agree to some extent with what you have said however I don't agree that a series of sarcastic comments was the best way it to put it across.

I have never taken part in one of these but I have watched the thread for a while. I have realized there is distinct gap between those who give and those who take. With the same givers every few weeks and the same takes. ideally this gap shouldn't exist.

I do think those who claim should feel obliged to offer eventually.

I know others have offered low cost Chinese pens that can be found on ebay etc. However it is better that these un-wanted pens can be put to use then not but on the other hand these days a £5 pen is low cost pen to all so in reality. It's easy to be able to give what those have paid little for rather then pens that cost £30 -£50 and I imagine most would find that the case.

Also I don't agree with "give me stuff I am college student etc" statements that you occasionally see however how often does that come up?

There is a lot of good in this thread but admittedly there are flaws to any system like this, I guess you have take the good with the bad.

The system isn't that bad. I've seen most takers eventually give back even if it takes a while. Not everybody has stuff lying around they can giv away all the time. But I believe that when they do, they usually remember the PIF thread :D. Speaking of which, I do have a couple of things that I may put up after exams. Watch this space :)

Edited by superglueshoe

My pet hate is shipping charges I mean I'd like to offer more however when I offer to UK only I get next to no interest. When offer world wide I get lots of interest however I have to pay £4 shipping. I don't really know how popular is pay your own p&p PIF's are but if I am to offer anymore it will have to be that way.

I think this type of discussion should continue.

Edited by top pen

I do agree with most of what you have said mostly but my pet hate is shipping charges I mean I'd like to offer more however when I offer to UK only I get next to no interest. When offer world wide I get lots of interest however I have to pay £4 shipping. I don't really know how popular is pay your own p&p PIF's are but if I am to offer anymore it will have to be that way.

I think this type of discussion should continue.

Yes, I just realised the shipping problem from Australia. Eh, once a while isn't too bad I guess.

As an aside, I'm not 100% sure but I *THINK* the comments by Gunga Galunga were made tongue in cheek.

Pay It Forward

I never saw the movie of the same title, but thought it meant to "give" to a stranger because of what you have already been blessed to receive, then trusting that person will do the same, in turn.

We're not exactly strangers here, in the true sense of the word, and clearly, some of us keep track of who is giving and who is receiving, with a seeming lack of trust that the process is being honored by all the participants. Maybe a better use of time and energy could be made by some people spending less time keeping track of what others are doing (or what their "real" motives are), and let the trust element hold stronger sway.

Just a suggestion.

Breathe. Take one step at a time. Don't sweat the small stuff. You're not getting older, you are only moving through time. Be calm and positive.

I assigned numbers to the entrants of each item and used random.org to select. The winners are:

Flex pen: AdrianC

Apache Sunset: EJKorvette

Shah's Rose: Rtruslow

If you get your addresses to me rather quickly, I can ship these out this afternoon. If not, I may have to wait until Monday. Either way, you've got some new stuff on the way, and I sincerely hope you enjoy it. :)

Congrats!

I appreciate the PIF's not only for the generous spirit of the giver, and the opportunity to possibly acquire a pen or ink you may not normally be able to get, but also I get exposed to pens or inks I wouldn't normally run across, like the two inks Mezzie just gave away.

Thanks again to all PIF'ers.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

Congratulations to the winners!

Well deserved ;)

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

To reply to comment on "Same takers and same givers". It is a shame. As a giver I would scan for previous winners and would disqualify if they are repeat winners. Maybe they "talk" nice or apply to all PIFs and linger here too much. Some people are smooth talkers and not necessarily the ones in need are the best talkers, right? So there are many considerations to be extra careful of. There will be abusers In any system,so how do we know??? I would try to make it fair In any way I could, so it is good we know who wins what and when. In teh spirit of giving, ideally I would like it to go to someone that 1) is short on funds, 2) will appreciate it and 3) will put it to good use.

To reply to comment on "Same takers and same givers". It is a shame. As a giver I would scan for previous winners and would disqualify if they are repeat winners. Maybe they "talk" nice or apply to all PIFs and linger here too much. Some people are smooth talkers and not necessarily the ones in need are the best talkers, right? So there are many considerations to be extra careful of. There will be abusers In any system,so how do we know??? I would try to make it fair In any way I could, so it is good we know who wins what and when. In teh spirit of giving, ideally I would like it to go to someone that 1) is short on funds, 2) will appreciate it and 3) will put it to good use.

I wouldn't worry about the quote up there as that was to do with a series of snide comments by another member which have been removed by the moderator. So I think it alone is out of context and would be better left alone because of this.

I assigned numbers to the entrants of each item and used random.org to select. The winners are:

Flex pen: AdrianC

Apache Sunset: EJKorvette

Shah's Rose: Rtruslow

If you get your addresses to me rather quickly, I can ship these out this afternoon. If not, I may have to wait until Monday. Either way, you've got some new stuff on the way, and I sincerely hope you enjoy it. :)

I won a PIF! Yaaaay! :D

Thank you Mezzie, I can't wait to try out my first Noodler's ink!