Pay It Forward 2014

zoniguana

A few months back I picked up two Jinhao 599's and find myself not using them frequently. Up for grabs is a red model with a medium nib. The pen is unused and will come with a handful of Poky ink cartridges (no converter). If you're interested please message me, I will conduct a random draw on May 16th. Contest is open to those in the CONUS only.

This is not a bad pen, got a green one myself (Metal/Brass version just like that one). I find that the "medium" nib writes more like a western fine. And for anyone unfamiliar it will take just bout any standard international converter you throw at it, and long standard cartridges.

(write sample: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/uploads/imgs/fpn_1399593553__write_compare.jpg )

It's also one of the few Jinhaos I've had that starts right up after sitting upright for a couple days.

Best of luck to whoever wins it.

Edited by KBeezie

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• alc3261

• amberleadavis

• KBeezie

• mhguda

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great stuff! Congratulations to all and special thanks to the posters for gifting such great items.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

MODERATOR'S NOTE:

Dear Members,

This is just a friendly reminder. The PIF thread is for transacting PIFs. While congratulations and thanks are encouraged, outside/off topic/extended discussions are discouraged. These extra conversations can make the PIF thread difficult to navigate. Active PIFs routinely end up a page or two back. This is not fair to the PIFer or the potential PIFees.

Please do be mindful of this. If an interesting conversation sparks up please create a separate thread or converse via PM.

If you notice off topic conversations please report them and we will remove them.

Thank you all for your cooperation.

Happy PIFing!

Dizzy

FIRST STOP MODERATOR

ETA: I understand several of you are put off by this message. Please do note that this is only a reminder of the FPN Rules & Guidelines which state that although thread drift happens members should create separate threads for off topic discussions. No warnings have been issued.

Edited by dizzypen

Equal Opportunity Ink and Fountain Pen User.

My blog: The Dizzy Pen

MODERATOR'S NOTE:

Dear Members,

This is just a friendly reminder. The PIF thread is for transacting PIFs. While congratulations and thanks are encouraged, outside/off topic/extended discussions are discouraged. These extra conversations can make the PIF thread difficult to navigate. Active PIFs routinely end up a page or two back. This is not fair to the PIFer or the potential PIFees.

Please do be mindful of this. If an interesting conversation sparks up please create a separate thread or converse via PM.

If you notice off topic conversations please report them and we will remove them.

Happy PIFing!

Dizzy

FIRST STOP MODERATOR

:wub:

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Anyone want a Noodler's Rollerball? First PM of person who is an active FPNer, gets it. In fairness, let me say that I gave it to my mom loaded with ink last mother's day. It leaked all over her purse. She never cleaned it, just handed it back to me with a frowny face this mother's day. (Mom was feeling a little passive aggressive I guess). So you'll have to clean it. It wasn't even used for a full ink fill if Mom's frowny face is any indication.

Top Pen was first. Thank you all!

Don't forget a few a few sets of the FP friendly papers.

I have a Jinhao 159 I would like to offer. It is bigger and heavier (50 grams per Goulet Pens) than my tastes and never gets used. The original medium nib was stubbed by the person who sent it to me.

In the interest of full disclosure it is not a great writer - not sure if the feed has a hard time keeping up or I am just using the wrong ink with it. I had some success with Waterman Intense Black. I will include an unopened package of international cartridges of the Intense Black. Open to CONUS only. I will keep it open until 5 pm MDT, May 17 and draw that evening. Please send entries by PM

http://www.gouletpens.com/Jinhao_159_Black_Fountain_Pen_p/jin-159.htm

Bump

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

MODERATOR'S NOTE:

Dear Members,

Happy PIFing!

Dizzy

FIRST STOP MODERATOR

Whilst I understand the need to keep a focus on the purpose of the thread, I hope this "ruling" isn't applied too rigidly. I am a regular PIF-giver, and I enjoy the balance of PIFs, congrats, and banter. It makes this thread less stuffy & earnest than most. It feels warm & friendly & shows up FP people in such a positive light.

If it was all purely about PIF business I doubt I'd hang out here as much as I do.

Verba volant, scripta manent

Whilst I understand the need to keep a focus on the purpose of the thread, I hope this "ruling" isn't applied too rigidly. I am a regular PIF-giver, and I enjoy the balance of PIFs, congrats, and banter. It makes this thread less stuffy & earnest than most. It feels warm & friendly & shows up FP people in such a positive light.

If it was all purely about PIF business I doubt I'd hang out here as much as I do.

I think the fact that I haven't removed much ought to give you some idea of what I mean. ;) Just know that not everyone agrees with your position. We are trying to strike a balance here.

If anyone has any other questions or suggestions for modifications to the way PIFs are run, feel free to send a PM. We don't discuss moderator actions on the public side of the forum.

Howdy,

No PIF right now. I'm still deciding on what next to gift.

I too like the balance that has been pretty much struck by the folks hanging out here. +1 But for now I sign off. +1

Now, when I decide I'll post it!

aggie

If your out-go is more than your income,

Then your up-keep.

May be your Down-falll!!!

Hi folks.

Hope you're all having a good Monday

On offer this time is my Parson's Essential pen by Italix, a classically styled pen, in shiny black piano lacquer, sporting one of Peter Ford's wonderfully hand-smoothed round point (non-italic) MEDIUM nibs. The nib is two-tone gold plated. It is a free-flowing nib, as are all P.E.s.

The pen has a brass liner and weighs 35grms. It is 12cms with cap off and 14cms with cap on. 16cm posted. 1.1cm dia. It has a screw-on cap and it fits very securely. The pen takes international short cartridges and comes supplied with a converter.

This is my "spare" P.E. pen and as such has only been inked 3 or 4 times. The pen is in really good condition. I love these pens. They fully deserve their excellent reputation.

I'd prefer this pen to go to someone who hasn't got a Parson's Essential, to someone on a tight pen budget or who is fairly new to PIF'ing, but I will not exclude anyone.

If you're interested in my pen, send me a PM with a brief note about why you want it. This PIF will close at 7pm (British Summer Time) on Tuesday 20 May.

I will post globally and will pay the shipping costs.

Good luck everyone.

fpn_1399917203__pe2.jpg

fpn_1399917964__pe1.jpg

Dear friends, especially all of you who have applied for my Parson's Essential pen.

Regretably I am withdrawing my latest PIF and will not be offering any more in the future. I am sad about this as I had some exciting items planned over the next few months. However, I am in disagreement with a ruling about this thread and feel that, after an unsatisfactory exchange in private, that I can no longer support PIF, or FPN.

Many of you will think I am over-reacting, and some will inevitably disagree with me, however I have been brought up to stand up for what I believe is right and challenge what I think is wrong. It would be hypercritical of me to continue on here under these circumstances.

Thank you all for your wonderful support of my PIFs. I've really had fun. I'm sure you will continue to have lots of fun on here in the future.

Marie

Verba volant, scripta manent

Aw, that hurts. I hope you will reconsider. This thread was a lot of fun with your contributions, both physical but especially non-physical. We others don't agree but I don't think we should let one such uttering spoil what we're doing. Stand up yes. Walk out - NO!

Edited by dizzypen
violation-personal attack removed

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

I'm sad, too, Migo984. I'm not sure what happened, but I hope you'll reconsider your decision and come back to the sandbox for more playtime. I'll miss all your toys!

Breathe. Take one step at a time. Don't sweat the small stuff. You're not getting older, you are only moving through time. Be calm and positive.

Damn what a shame! A true loss to FPN! I was so excited for the outcome of your latest PIF! I hope we see you PIFing again!

Edited by dizzypen
Violation-discussion of mod actions removed

This is boarding on the absurd.

All I have done is place a reminder of the FPN Rules & Guidelines in this thread. These are the Rules & Guidelines you all agreed to when you joined this forum. I have not made any "Ruling". I have not issued any warnings. No one is "in trouble".

You can find the rules here: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/blog/7/entry-86-fpn-rules-guidelines-terms-and-conditions-terms-of-use/

Here are the relevant portions:

• Thread drift happens. If you feel your posts are becoming significantly off-topic, start a new thread with the appropriate subject line and in the appropriate forum.
  • Off-topic posts and debates should take place in the Chatter forum. ...
  • Do note that discussion of Moderator and Administrator actions and/or decisions in the forums is not allowed. If you have questions or concerns please handle them through PM or email only.

ETA: As I said before thanks and congrats is perfectly acceptable whence the reason why ALL of your thanks and congrats posts are still here and untouched. it is only when we get into significant thread drift that there becomes an issue.

Edited by dizzypen

Save Out Posters

I too am saddened by migo984 and Ray Cornett's decision to abandon the PIF forum. A careful re-reading of the original post by dizzy leads me to believe the intent was a <<reminder>> rather than an edict, verdict, or ruling, to limit off-topic postings that go beyond congratulations, thank yous, writing samples, photos, regrets, envy, etc. This seems to be quite the opposite of how Ray took it. And of course we do not know what may have transpired between migo984 and dizzy offline that could have exacerbated upset feelings leading to this result.

Respect for each other is key here. While in the recent past there has been some discontent expressed about off-topic content getting too far afield, no one appears to be challenging the fundamental way we enjoy "doing business" in PIFs. It takes all flavors of ice cream to feed a crowd, so too, we can afford to respect those having a more conservative view about what constitutes appropriate content in the thread. And take a middle path. There is room for all of us to play.

I have a terrible temper and have been known to become abrupt when irritated. Fortunately, forgiving and understanding friends occasionally allow me to rethink earlier declarations and steer a new course. I would like everyone to take a deep breath and reconsider anew how to proceed.

Rob

Thanks Rob for that evenhanded reminder to take it slow and that maybe there some hotheaded words... I am not one to usually do that, but this time I was upset, not so much for the withdrawal of the PiF but for an active and popular member of this group to leave so abruptly was... difficult to handle I guess. I said some things I should not have, and mr moderator edited my post; I'm fine with that (in fact it's not unexpected). I do hope we get back on track now and that we can continue with the main purpose of this thread - paying stuff forward to increase our karma in the fountain pen world...

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi