Twsbi - Vac 700 (Goulet Nib, Blue)

NibSandwich

No intent to be adversarial. So sorry if it came across that way. It's just that you spoke in such strong terms about how ugly you thought the Vac was. I was just curious why you bought it.

Mr EKE, I believe you are putting words in my mouth. The terms I used were "awkward looking" and "clashy". I tried to be diplomatic in my description, and I specifically explained why I didn't like certain aspects of its appearance rather than disparage the entire look without explanation, because different people like different things (Like serving roast ham for Christmas dinner.. grossss...). Besides as Water Ouzel said, it is a great pen to write with irrespective of appearance. I just think it would benefit from some refinement to its look.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NibSandwich

• EKE

• Juanete

• mikehodgman

Have you used the Pendleton 580 yet? I'm considering one myself and I'd like to have your opinion.

Got a Pendleton 580 at the pen show in Boston. It's the "B" cursive and it is a delightful pen. I usually like F/EF nibs and sometimes will go for an italic or stub. I'm very glad I went with the Pendleton "butter-line".

I would be interested in hearing more from others (beyond the recent review) re: the flex addition.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

I share many of your views on the Vac 700, but I've actually grown to love the look of my clear one. I bought it with a medium nib, but ground it down to a ~0.8mm stub and shimmed it open a bit for added flow. I've found that the stock TWSBI feeds can actually pump out a good amount of ink without needing any modification.

For instance, my Pelikan M405 came with a medium nib that I ground to a similar ~0.8mm stub. As Pelikan nibs can be a little bit flexible, I find myself wanting to put down a very wet line as often as I can. To achieve that, I needed to cut a slightly deeper groove in the feed and widen a few of the channels beforeI got exactly what I was looking for. With the TWSBI feeds, I've been able to get a generally more consistent and adaptable ink flow depending on the type of nib I'm using.

This hasn't always held true, though. My first TWSBI was the Vac 700, but my second (a 540) didn't meet the same expectations I had set for myself after using the Vac for so long. The nib was easy to modify and was perfectly smooth, but the feed couldn't keep up even after I hacked away at it for a while. Eventually I just bought a new nib unit in Fine and decided that having a super-wet stub on my 540 just wouldn't happen the way I wanted it to.

Just recently I bought a Classic from TWSBI and I've been nothing but happy with it. I think they've ironed out their manufacturing process to the point that there won't be many defective pens floating around. On top of that, their aesthetics have much more definition than they did in the beginning (compare the Vac and 540 to the Mini and Classic) and they've really just gotten started. Personally, I'm most excited about the "Vac 350" or "Vac Mini" they've got in the works. If they can get the price-point under $60.00 USD I'll certainly buy at least 2 for myself and another for my girlfriend.

• 3 weeks later...

I've bought both Vac700 and Diamond 580.

I still have not inked my new Diamond, but I'm using my Vac700...

My feeling says it's worth writting with her... Soft, wetty... But when I'm thinking about next steps... If I wait for 5 minutes without writting, the nib gets dry! And then the only way to make it write is going through the inkpot.

Does anybody know if it will go better with use?

If I rest, I rust...

My feeling says it's worth writting with her... Soft, wetty... But when I'm thinking about next steps... If I wait for 5 minutes without writting, the nib gets dry! And then the only way to make it write is going through the inkpot.

It seems everybody is so busy, or FPN is not in its best....

Doesn't matter!

Anyway I've started to use her continuosly and she's thanking my efforts: now she's always prepared for me.

I'm pretty happy about this purchase. Great fountain pen!

If I rest, I rust...

Very well! So you've answered your question yourself.

My Vac 700 didn't change, that's why I sold it in the end. And my 580s don't dry out anymore now work because I added dish water soap to the ink. I will try glycerine the next time.

I have a TWSBI Classic as well, though, and this pen works better; maybe because it isn't fitted with a 1.5 mm nib, but with just a broad one (which is more of a medium to my likings).

Iris

My avatar is a painting by Ilya Mashkov (1881-1944): Self-Portrait; 1911, which I photographed in the New Tretyakov Gallery in Moscow.

Make sure the ink cut-off valve is open!

Learning from the past does not mean living in the past.

• 1 year later...

Here's mins with BLS...

http://s15.postimg.org/63ldc7w97/DSC00634.jpg

http://s13.postimg.org/hyi798ep3/DSC00650.jpg