Faber-Castell Emotion - Dries Out Very Fast After Being Uncapped

TallisandByrd

Dear Friends,

I just wondered if anyone else has experienced a problem where the nib dries out very fast after being uncapped for a relatively short period. I have timed it so that after 2-3 mins of holding the pen after writing there are some considerable startup issues. I have thought it might be the ink, but I'm using Diamine Sargasso Sea blue, which i know to be well behaved.

Apart from this, the pen is superb and smooth with feedback, though cross strokes sometimes skip, which is annoying.

Any thoughts?

In mourning weeds, with tears in eyes:

Tallis is dead, and Music dies.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TallisandByrd

• Edwaroth

• TLab3000

• readonly

Top Posters In This Topic

My Loom from Faber-Castell is just the opposite. I have left it uncapped for the whole time of my grocery shopping expeditions, it just doesn't dry up. On the other hand, I have some pens that start hard after thinking a bit while letter writing.

My Loom from Faber-Castell is just the opposite. I have left it uncapped for the whole time of my grocery shopping expeditions, it just doesn't dry up. On the other hand, I have some pens that start hard after thinking a bit while letter writing.

Same here. I used my E-Motion at work where I have to write, type, write, type... and sometimes the cap stays off for several minutes, but that doesn't seem to be a problem with my E-Motion. Maybe yours has a baby's bottom syndrome? That could be fixed rather easily.

Same here. I used my E-Motion at work where I have to write, type, write, type... and sometimes the cap stays off for several minutes, but that doesn't seem to be a problem with my E-Motion. Maybe yours has a baby's bottom syndrome? That could be fixed rather easily.

The baby's bottom syndrome (bbs) has crossed my mind. though if it is there, then it is to a very small degree as flow is generally brilliant, however like i said, side strokes often skip which may suggest bbs. what would you recommend?

Hi-power loupe to DX and someone who knows how to fix it. Babybottom, I believe needs to be reground, though I am not sure, sorry. You may want to contact Faber-Castell, their customer service is said to be nonpareil. Good luck!

Edited by Edwaroth

My experience with Sargasso Sea is that it's one of the fastest inks to dry in the nib. There is a lot of anecdotal evidence of this in the reviews. It's unfortunate, because it's a lovely color, but it's a hard starter in each pen in which I've tried it.

Hi-power loupe to DX and someone who knows how to fix it. Babybottom, I believe needs to be reground, though I am not sure, sorry. You may want to contact Faber-Castell, their customer service is said to be nonpareil. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

My experience with Sargasso Sea is that it's one of the fastest inks to dry in the nib. There is a lot of anecdotal evidence of this in the reviews. It's unfortunate, because it's a lovely color, but it's a hard starter in each pen in which I've tried it.

Sargasso Sea is highly saturated, so your observations do not surprise me at all.

Its interesting you guys mention this, the only other pen i have had extensive use of Sargasso Sea is with my Vac 700, to which there was no problem. However, on your advice, i will try a different ink and sea if the dry out problem persists.

Thanks for the advice.

The baby's bottom syndrome (bbs) has crossed my mind. though if it is there, then it is to a very small degree as flow is generally brilliant, however like i said, side strokes often skip which may suggest bbs. what would you recommend?

What an excellent timing!

Edited by TLab3000

Its interesting you guys mention this, the only other pen i have had extensive use of Sargasso Sea is with my Vac 700, to which there was no problem. However, on your advice, i will try a different ink and sea if the dry out problem persists.

I did not mean to imply that it is OK for a pen to cop out on Sargasso Sea. A properly working pen should be able to deal with the ink. It was merely my observation that Sargasso Sea is highly saturated and, hence, if your pen has some sort of problem with dryness, this ink will definitely help to trigger the problem. It's not the ink's fault. (Although I personally dislike it for its over saturation.)

Edited by readonly