Cute Pens For Us Girls!

GabrielleDuVent

I really want to toss my two cents in, but I haven't read the whole thread, so my apologies if I'm rehashing an idea that someone else has already voiced.

I think the idea that FP's are not considered feminine is that the marketing is primarily aimed towards men. You might find an ad for a Montblanc in GQ magazine, but you'd never see one in Cosmo. And while a pen manufacturer might do a "ladies pen", I wonder if we really need the distinction. Does it need to be gender identified if the only difference is the size and colour? I don't see why a slim, light, colourful pen is necessarily a ladies pen, when I know many men that have delicate hands and like bright colours, and many women with short fingers who enjoy muted tones.

What I would like to see is a manufacturer and the subsequent marketing assume that the consumer can decide if their product is appropriate for them, without feeling as though they've been limited to gender appropriate items. I mean unless the product specifically involves your genitalia I see no reason for it to be deemed mens or womens.

Gender identifying unisex products (toys, pens, clothes, anything really) sets limitations and expectations on people's behaviour. And denies that a person can make appropriate decisions without being guided. It's divisive, in that people who consume things not considered appropriate for their gender are questioned or mocked, over something that has essentially no meaning.

As a lady, my femininity is not lessened because I have short hair, prefer black pens and dark inks. My femininity is lessened because other people do not consider those things to be ladylike. I reject the idea that my gender should determine my aesthetic preferences.

That is not to say that I don't think people who enjoy things considered typical for their gender are wrong, there's nothing wrong with a girl enjoying pink or a guy enjoying sports cars. It's the limitations of those ideas, that boys should not like pink, and that a girl should never want a McLaren F1 are what I take issue with.

As far as the pen makers are concerned, it seems to me that they make the pens they think their customers will purchase, as long as they realize that their customer base is broad with a wide variety of tastes, then they will produce the pens that you want. Hopefully regardless of gender.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TSherbs

• Plume145

• inkstainedruth

• dorothynotgale

I want a Hello Kitty fountain pen BAD.

Try going to Amazon Deutschland and search on "schulfueller" or "schulfueller hello kitty" - they have both of the BIC Hello Kitty pens. They also have the Online pen with the cats on it, if you do the broader search term of all school pens. And some other similar nice ones.

A few of them, it tells me I can't get shipped to me in the US. But I can most of them shipped to me from Amazon Deutschland. And where you live, it might be easier to get them shipped to your address.

I really want to toss my two cents in, but I haven't read the whole thread, so my apologies if I'm rehashing an idea that someone else has already voiced.

I think the idea that FP's are not considered feminine is that the marketing is primarily aimed towards men. You might find an ad for a Montblanc in GQ magazine, but you'd never see one in Cosmo. And while a pen manufacturer might do a "ladies pen", I wonder if we really need the distinction. Does it need to be gender identified if the only difference is the size and colour? I don't see why a slim, light, colourful pen is necessarily a ladies pen, when I know many men that have delicate hands and like bright colours, and many women with short fingers who enjoy muted tones.

What I would like to see is a manufacturer and the subsequent marketing assume that the consumer can decide if their product is appropriate for them, without feeling as though they've been limited to gender appropriate items. I mean unless the product specifically involves your genitalia I see no reason for it to be deemed mens or womens.

Gender identifying unisex products (toys, pens, clothes, anything really) sets limitations and expectations on people's behaviour. And denies that a person can make appropriate decisions without being guided. It's divisive, in that people who consume things not considered appropriate for their gender are questioned or mocked, over something that has essentially no meaning.

As a lady, my femininity is not lessened because I have short hair, prefer black pens and dark inks. My femininity is lessened because other people do not consider those things to be ladylike. I reject the idea that my gender should determine my aesthetic preferences.

That is not to say that I don't think people who enjoy things considered typical for their gender are wrong, there's nothing wrong with a girl enjoying pink or a guy enjoying sports cars. It's the limitations of those ideas, that boys should not like pink, and that a girl should never want a McLaren F1 are what I take issue with.

As far as the pen makers are concerned, it seems to me that they make the pens they think their customers will purchase, as long as they realize that their customer base is broad with a wide variety of tastes, then they will produce the pens that you want. Hopefully regardless of gender.

Hear! Hear! As I said way back at the beginning of this thread, I gave up trying to convince people I really am female sometime after giving birth to my second child 35 years ago.

I like some pens that some people are identify as "girlie". And I like some black tactical-looking pens. And I like some that don't fit any sort of category.

And I only use fountain pens of which I have a lot.

But I really resent advertising - and there is still some of it around - that announces a particular pen is aimed at men only. Or the inherent assumption that women don't like messy pens like fountain pens.

But I really resent advertising - and there is still some of it around - that announces a particular pen is aimed at men only. Or the inherent assumption that women don't like messy pens like fountain pens.

Advertising often sucks. Especially when it attempts to divide, then conquer. Division sucks.

fpn_1392068437__fp3.jpg

That purple one in the middle, with the concave sides, looks awfully like a Waterman Serenite, a pen I've always loved. But obviously it isn't. And it probably costs less than EUR 900.

Love the Hello Kitty pen, too. It would never replace my P51s but it's a lovely bit of fun to carry round on a journey... Of course, I could put both together by getting one of the modern P51 bodies in flaming pink or purple!

Edited by amk

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

Division sucks.

That is essentially my entire life philosophy summed up in two words. Amazing.

Wow. That's some serious bling.

Edited by Crazyorange

Wow. That's some serious bling.

This is the one I really want.

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Pens/MB/slides/uvif_b.jpeg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I didn't find anything wrong with your post. I know your apology isn't directed to me, but just so's you know, I checked the link and thought it was interesting, all those ladies' pens. So at least one fpner found it useful.

Me too. I had a good time looking that page over.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

Me too. I had a good time looking that page over.

Thanks to both of you. At 66, it's still nice to be appreciated.

Gabrielle,Your cause may be hopeless. BIC was mocked when it came out with the BIC Cristal For Her Ball Pen. http://www.amazon.com/BIC-Cristal-1-0mm-Black-MSLP16-Blk/dp/B004F9QBE6 (see the comments - some are really funny).But after that I don't think any mainstream pen maker would come out with a cute pen for "yous" girls. You just might be stuck with manly pens.

I just read this on amazon. Too funny from people with way too much time.

I have to admit that a few of the comments that I read almost made me choke from laughing. In the early 1990's I took a Graduate course in Anthropology entitled (I think), "Sex, Gender, and Sexuality." The professor, Dr. Peggy Reeves Sanday, would have found these comments very useful. She probably would have used some of the close to 2,000 comments as part of an exam. She would have handed a small index card, containing one of the comments, to each student in the class, and required each student to identify the sex, gender, and sexuality of each author, and explain why the student had come to these conclusions.

http://www.sas.upenn.edu/~psanday/

http://www.sas.upenn.edu/~psanday/cv.html

LOL some of the comments on Amazon are totally worthy of some kind of prize in creative writing!!! My personal favorites are on this product. And BTW, it is not THAT off-topic as it might seem like, as this pen can be considered right on the mark...

http://www.amazon.com/Omas-Limited-Edition-Fountain-Diamonds/dp/B002K6QB78/ref=pd_sim_sbs_op_12?ie=UTF8&refRID=1VSCZVAXA4T2BM74YBG9

• 8 years later...

(BIC “for her” Amazon reviews remain the same..haha)

I grew up during the kawaii culture era.

Japan is more misogynistic than the US, but one thing they do have is popular stationery shows themed for girls.  New old-school kawaii novelties are still trendy, targeted at girls. These include lots of novelty inks, tiny journals, notebooks, masking tapes, and other unknown makers’ items. One show drew 20k to 40k attendees, I heard. Anyone go to buy them too. \(^O^)/ 

I think getting expand a niche culture like this works in the long run. 

We have more choices, a large variety of inks now. 

I love pocket sizes, using magenta shades inks and my pens ↓ are all super girly w/polka dots and pressed flowers. And must be a flex nib.

5249E1DE-9FA0-4D5C-B52B-54BFBC08E759.jpeg

15 minutes ago, piano said:

And must be a flex nib.

That's some awesome flourishing there!

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

18 hours ago, piano said:

(BIC “for her” Amazon reviews remain the same..haha)

I grew up during the kawaii culture era.

Japan is more misogynistic than the US, but one thing they do have is popular stationery shows themed for girls.  New old-school kawaii novelties are still trendy, targeted at girls. These include lots of novelty inks, tiny journals, notebooks, masking tapes, and other unknown makers’ items. One show drew 20k to 40k attendees, I heard. Anyone go to buy them too. \(^O^)/ 

I think getting expand a niche culture like this works in the long run. 

We have more choices, a large variety of inks now. 

I love pocket sizes, using magenta shades inks and my pens ↓ are all super girly w/polka dots and pressed flowers. And must be a flex nib.

5249E1DE-9FA0-4D5C-B52B-54BFBC08E759.jpeg

WOW WOW WOW. I love it!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

One day, whatever it takes, an Albanian Sapphire Goat Tiara will be mine...

John