Lamy Safari: Bargain Brilliance Or Ugly Utility

Craig Forsyth

I own two... a yellow with silver clip and a black with silver clip. I love them both and keep going back to them. They're cost-efficient, durable, and good writers. I also like the ability to change out the nibs, so the pen gives you many options. Thanks to this and other threads, I see the come out with a new color each year for that particular year. I look forward to seeing them in future years.

I bought an AL-Star for my mother-in-law. It was her first fountain pen and while not a Safari, very similar. I thought it'd be a great way to introduce her to fountain pens... I also demonstrated mine at work to one of my colleague. He liked it so much, he bought one too. It is also his first fountain pen. I've about sold another colleague to get one... I should ask for a commission! :eureka:

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Craig Forsyth

• JonSzanto

• Harlequin

• GnosticMoron

I love the Safari. I like the way it writes and looks; it's a bit like a very smooth rollerball (at least with a non-italic nib) in that it doesn't produce much line variation but it writes lovely; not the most smoothest thing, but sure as hell ain't any scratchy either! The design is love it or hate it, but I'm a fan of modern design and the Safari really feels modern and designed for utility; it really is "form follows function" in my opinion but not in the extremely sleek way that most associate it with (a la the Lamy 2000 for example).

In the end, you really can't go wrong with a Safari in my opinion, it's price for service measure is close to unbeatable in my opinion. :thumbup: It's still a favorite of mine when it comes to sketching, being my preferred sketch pen over the Studio and 2000 when it comes to Lamys.

I got a Safari to be my knock-around pen that would come with me everywhere. It works beautifully, but my initial thought was that it was one of the ugliest writing utensils I'd ever seen.

But the more I've used it, the more the look has grown on me. The grip section fits my writing grip very well. The pen feels indestructible. It's definitely a good value for the money. I'd recommend it!

You own everything that happened to you. Tell your stories. If people wanted you to write warmly about them, they should've behaved better. ~ Anne Lamott (This is where I tell my stories.)

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

By my count it's 39 for, 9 against and 7 undecided. I'd say that's pretty conclusive.

This ranks right up there with the blown defensive pass interference call yesterday as one of the great injustices of the 21st Century! The survey was RIGGED!!!

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

By my count it's 39 for, 9 against and 7 undecided. I'd say that's pretty conclusive.

This ranks right up there with the blown defensive pass interference call yesterday as one of the great injustices of the 21st Century! The survey was RIGGED!!!

I am an impartial witness and will stand by my assessment. Please feel free to continue living in denial.

The Safari has this going for it... It's just about the cheapest name-brand, widely (internationally) available fountain pen that comes with a box, instructions, and warranty. Also, replacement nibs are readily available, cheap and easy to swap in. That's why it gets recommended so much.

The Safari has these negatives... It doesn't come with a converter. It accepts Lamy ink cartridges, which don't seem to be (AFAIK) compatible with any other brand, and the ink is nothing special. If you do buy a converter, they are flimsy and sometimes leaky. Quality control on the nibs can be erratic.

And finally... Not everybody likes the Lego style.

I'm no big fan of the Safari, but I have two (which I rarely use). It's probably the mostly widely owned pen among FPNers by a hefty magin.

I'm no big fan of the Safari, but I have two (which I rarely use). It's probably the mostly widely owned pen among FPNers by a hefty magin.

That's only cuz TWSBI is less than 5 years old ^_~ (as far as them making FPs, I mean).

That's only cuz TWSBI is less than 5 years old ^_~ (as far as them making FPs, I mean).

Yeah, let's see how long it takes TWSBI to solve the cracking problem.

I am an impartial witness and will stand by my assessment. Please feel free to continue living in denial.

[stage whisper]

Psst! I think he's making a Super Bowl joke.

[/stage whisper]

Fountain Pens: Still cheaper than playing Warhammer 40K

They're $40 retail, and I never got one with a nice writing nib. I LOVE the design, but I'd rather write with a No Nonsense

Um, they seem to have solved it. That's a major reason the 540 was discontinued. The 580 is made with the same barrels that the minis are Vac700s are made from. Speedy told us that in another thread, when the cracking issues (and it's possible origins) came up.

Um, they seem to have solved it. That's a major reason the 540 was discontinued. The 580 is made with the same barrels that the minis are Vac700s are made from. Speedy told us that in another thread, when the cracking issues (and it's possible origins) came up.

I certainly hope so. I like some of their design ideas.

Me too, looking forward to getting my first TWSBI...neet to star saving for that too, how do you people afford this hobby?

Edited by Craig Forsyth

Yeah, let's see how long it takes TWSBI to solve the cracking problem.

Maybe they have. I haven't yet heard about any cracked TWSBI Vac 700.

However, that's about double the price of a Safari + converter. Things will get really interesting when TWSBI come out with the economy pen they're working on. It'll be aimed right at the Safari.

Me too, looking forward to getting my first TWSBI...neet to star saving for that too, how do you people afford this hobby?

No spouse. No kids. Reclassify foreclosure letters as "junk mail".

Love almost everything about the Lamy Safari's design—I just wish the barrel was about 1cm shorter so it would more comfortably fit in most shirt pockets.

i have one, and i used it every day in the last two years. Never a false start, very smooth writing, long ink cartrige.

The fine nib is a bit thick for me, but for about 20 bucks is one of the best pen you can get.