Peyton Street Pens Update

terim

Ranga Indian Ebonite Pens, now in stock at Peyton Street Pens

We're really enthused about the handcrafted ebonite pens made by Ranga Pen Company in India. We've begun carrying two models, #3 aka "Duofold," which is a large 5-3/4" pen with a flat top and barrel end, and Model #4 which has a rounded top of the cap and a flat barrel-end. Both Model 3 and 4 pens are priced at $55, with free shipping to US addresses.

We are currently selling these pens in an eyedropper configuration, so the ink capacity is large. In order to mitigate the "burping" that comes with large capacity eyedropper pens, we have refitted the original Indian-made Wality nibs with Sheaffer No Nonsense feeds. Due to the large quantity of baffles/fins, these feeds have a greater capacity to absorb the ink that can cause a drip when the pen barrel warms up and the air inside expands. We found the original hand-cut ebonite feeds that are supplied with the pens had too much variance, and frequently did not make a tight fit with nib and section, exacerbating the tendency to drip as too much air made its way back into the barrel. The situation hasn't been elminated completely, due to the inherent physical properties of eyedroppers. After fitting the No Nonsense feeds, we adjust the alignment of the Wality nibs.

Ranga Model 3 :

http://www.peytonstreet.com/pens/ranga/ranga_3_group_1.jpg

and Model 4 :

http://www.peytonstreet.com/pens/ranga/ranga_model_4_group_1.jpg

Very shortly we'll begin carrying the popular Bamboo model, and the gigantic Model 5. We also have a few pens that we have fitted with gold plated Sheaffer No Nonsense nib sections, and these can accept Sheaffer cartridges and will come with a converter.

We're also experimenting with vintage name-brand nibs on these pens, and will roll out these one-off combinations as soon as each has been fully tested and fine tuned. (We encourage you to buy one of the basic models and install your own favorite vintage nib.) We're also working on a custom pen that employs new old stock Eversharp nibs, and one that can be fitted with German nib sections to allow usage of cartridges and converters.

These pens feature gorgeous hard rubber materials in both smooth and rough/matte ("Bakul") finishes. We've ordered more colors and styles, so send us a message if you are looking for anything in particular.

But as always, our niche is new old stock, pre-owned and vintage writing instruments. Highlights of recently added pens:

Parker 51 Demi in hard-to-find plum color

Wahl Equi-poised Gold Seal in green & bronze with an XF nib

Huge Diamond Medal woodgrain flat top

Pelikan M250 Demonstrator

Waterman 94 in red/grey marble with a flexible medium nib

Waterman 94 in olive ripple

Visit the NEW PENS category for the latest additions.

Don't forget we have a 15% discount offer going for registered website users until the end of the year on orders of at least $100 (promo code fpn2012, you've got to be logged in to use the code).

Happy holidays to all!

TERI and the PEYTON STREET PENS CREW

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• terim

• gopool

• mrcharlie

• s_t_e_v_e

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's great Teri.

I use a No Nonsense as an eyedropper and the feed eliminates burping for me.

I'm very glad to have this validated. We definitely noticed improvement, but aren't ready to claim that we've eliminated the burping altogether. (Thanks to Hari for the idea of using the NN feed!)

Happy holidays, Uncle!

TERI

I'll +1 on using the NoNonsense feeds. I have done this for a couple of Indian ED's and they now work flawlessly!

I've had a couple of Ranga's and really like them. So glad to see you're carrying these and have made this modification!

WANTED:

Delta Indios (FP or BP)

Delta Inuit (FP or BP)

Delta Don Quijote (BP or FP, green pref.)

other Delta Indigenous People

(M nibs or wider preferred)

I'm somewhat curious where you get the no nonsense feeds from; are you sacrificing a NN, or is there some cache of replacement NN feeds/section units on the market or that some people have?

Thanks Teri. I was thinking to post a topic on our business partnership here.

Dear FPN'ers,

We are very happy to announce this business partnership with Peyton street Pens as well.

You can get wide range of our Ranga models in various colours in Peyton Street Pens.

In Peyton Street Pens, They ship faster. So Shipping time is very less for USA customers.

Another advantage is, they also fit pens with Vintage nibs and other quality nibs and high quality feeds , NoNonSense sections on customer's demand which makes the pens quality to scale high level,

More pens in More colours & models is on the way including different filling mechanism.

As always , The Peyton Street Pens will make you to feel WOW customer Experience.

Thanks again to Teri & Peyton Street Pen's team.

Regards,

Kandan.M.P

Ranga Pen Company

Edited by mpkandan

I'm somewhat curious where you get the no nonsense feeds from; are you sacrificing a NN, or is there some cache of replacement NN feeds/section units on the market or that some people have?

I'll confess we are sacrificng a NN in this effort .... we have a lot of the sports themed NN pens, and we previously just used them as giveaways since no one was interested in buying them. This is a much better fate for them .... I'll post some photos this weekend of what my clever assistant Nivardo has done to turn the Ranga pens into ones which will accomodate vintage nibs + NN feeds + NN connector for usage with Sheaffer cartridges and converters.

TERI

That is understandable, although maybe some super NN enthusiasts would disagree. It had been recommended to me to use an NN feed if I were to purchase a lower end Indian eyedropper, and at that time I was wondering where I was supposed to get such a thing without buying a NoNonsense that cost just as much as the Indian pen in question.

I have two old NN pens; one with a rubber feed and one from the 1970s with a plastic feed. I assume they changed to that at the same time the student market Cartridge Pens went to the plastic feed. I assume these pens have the hard rubber feeds? I am interested in seeing the photos from Nivardo.

I'm sure there is a price at which they would sell; it just might not be a price that is economically worth your time, and this use of the feeds/sections sounds like a much more productive use.

I'm sure someone will consider it butchery! But I don't think these are hard rubber, even though they did come from the earlier style NN:

http://www.peytonstreet.com/pens/ranga/NN_feeds.jpg

Here are some photos of the converter-enabled Ranga we put together. This one is the "Bamboo" model in smooth black, fitted with a modern Parker Duofold nib we had laying around.

http://www.peytonstreet.com/pens/ranga/bamboo_smooth_black_modduofold1.jpg

http://www.peytonstreet.com/pens/ranga/bamboo_smooth_black_modduofold3.jpg

http://www.peytonstreet.com/pens/ranga/bamboo_smooth_black_modduofold4.jpg

Note that this is the original Ranga ebonite section, not the NN section. The long stem of the feed appears peeking out of the metal tube, just as it should. We're just starting to test it, and so far so good even though the nib is a little too big for the feed.

TERI

Edited by terim

Here are some photos of one of the nicest Ranga pens we've put together so far. It's got a middle-size Sheaffer Lifetime nib from the 1930s-40s and it's on a Ranga Model 4 with mottled green "bakul" (rough) finish.

http://www.peytonstreet.com/pens/ranga/mod4_bakul_greenmottled_lifetime1.jpg

http://www.peytonstreet.com/pens/ranga/mod4_bakul_greenmottled_lifetime3.jpg

This pen is set up with a No Nonsense feed, and is an eye dropper. The typical Sheaffer nail nib is very smooth, wet, precise and fine!

We should be able to put together similar pens with vintage nibs and Sheaffer converter-cartridge systems for between $150 and $200, depending on nib, model and pattern. (Bamboo models are a little more expensive, and there are some premium ebonite colors and patterns which will command a slightly higher price.)

We'll start rolling out some of these one-of-a-kind configurations this coming week.

TERI

Edited by terim

Teri, Ricky brought a Ranga he fitted with a flex dip nib... which is now in my possession. :-)

We're rounding up the Pen Posse on Saturday, December 22, at Peter's Cafe. Don't know if you can make it -- but here's the heads-up. Not sure what time. Probably the usual -- 1:00.

Really enjoying this Ranga (green marbled bamboo) with the flex nib, even though I wrecked it then fixed it, then Ricky fixed, you know how it goes... :-D

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Teri, Ricky brought a Ranga he fitted with a flex dip nib... which is now in my possession. :-)

We're rounding up the Pen Posse on Saturday, December 22, at Peter's Cafe. Don't know if you can make it -- but here's the heads-up. Not sure what time. Probably the usual -- 1:00.

Really enjoying this Ranga (green marbled bamboo) with the flex nib, even though I wrecked it then fixed it, then Ricky fixed, you know how it goes... :-D

The date is Sunday the 23rd. I thought the 22nd was Sunday when I spoke earlier.

2020 San Francisco Pen Show
August 28-30th, 2020
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

Darn! I'm travelling up to Sea Ranch for Xmas on Saturday the 22nd. I'll make the next one for sure, cuz I have a big order of Ranga stuff coming in in about 3 weeks and I want to pick the collective Pen Posse brain for ideas and feedback.

TERI

We finished testing the black Bamboo pen with the modern Duofold nib, and it's now on the web site priced at $175. See here. And if you look around on FPN you'll find a coupon for 15% off, good thru the end of the year.

More Rangas with upgraded nibs are coming soon .... a nice semi-flex Eversharp Skyline nib, and a sturdy Sheaffer Lifetime, and a sweet little Omas.

TERI

Here are some photos of one of the nicest Ranga pens we've put together so far. It's got a middle-size Sheaffer Lifetime nib from the 1930s-40s and it's on a Ranga Model 4 with mottled green "bakul" (rough) finish.

Pretty nice looking; the vintage nib looks really nice in that pen. It is lovely to see what you are doing with these old parts.

Edited by mrcharlie

Glad to know you are putting together the flex nibs/Ranga body combos, Teri (we had an email exchange about it in late October, if you recall). While Ranga is local to me, I may have to buy one of your creations as and when budget permits!

True bliss: knowing that the guy next to you is suffering more than you are.

• 2 weeks later...

The Aiken Lambert Ranga sold within 2 hours of going on the web site. We've added a similar wet noodle enabled Ranga with a Leroy Fairchild nib.

Just arrived on Thursday was a new order of Rangas..... More Bamboo pens, and a new model we are calling 4C with rounded ends. We are configuring each with a Sheaffer feed and converter- cartridge system, or we can leave them as eyedroppers only if you want to save a few bucks. Either way you get the Sheaffer No Nonsense feed instead of the original handcut ebonite feed that comes standard with Rangas.

I'll post links and photos later this weekend.

Thanks for your interest and happy holidays!

Teri

Teri,

Can you put a flex nib in a pen that looks just like the one in post 10?

I don't want to tread on forum rules, so if possible, perhaps you can PM me with details.

Dave

Edited by WOBentley

This post contains 100% recycled electrons

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/SmallCzarNikolai.jpg

• 3 years later...

Hi Teri,

Where can i get my hands on some of those awesome feeds? I would like to replace the India feeds on all my eyedropper pens. Thanks in advance.