Lamy 2000 Nib Squeeks And Skips...

tricnomistal

I've gotten great advice here before, so, here's the problem:

I bought a Lamy 2000 a while ago and found that the nib was very scratchy except for a tiny sweet spot. I sent it in and it was promptly replaced. Now I have a nib that, while smooth, squeeks when I write and often skips if I write quickly or change direction quickly as I write.

I wonder whether I'm expecting too much and should try my luck with a pen that writes differently,

Or if I should try sending it to a nib meister for tuning and spend more money on the pen.

Since I know no one can tell me what to do, I ask: What would*you* do?

Also, if anybody thinks It could be something *I'm* doing wrong (bad ink, holding it wrong not apreciating that musical squeek), then suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks for the advice!

Edited by tricnomistal

"A pen of quality is a writer's gold"

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• scribblescrabble

• tricnomistal

• vrgelinas

• ddustinn

Top Posters In This Topic

My 2000 also lightly squeaks, but does not skip. I'm not really sure what causes that.

Did you flush the pen before using it? That could take care of flow issues.

"While you are proclaiming peace with your lips, be careful to have it even more fully in your heart."

- St. Francis of Assisi

"Don't play what's there. Play what's not there."

-Miles Davis

I will gladly take your unwanted Noodler's pens. Don't throw them away.

Assume no affiliation.

My old Safari was very dry and would squeak and scratch and skip. Adjusting the nib carefully like described in many articles turned out to be crucial, as my tines were out of line and too close together. Once that was solved, it was an amazing fine nib.

I have discovered that finding the sweet spot on my Lamy 2k is just annoying ... Great looking pen though...

Emilio Villegas

Had that issue on a Pelikan 140. I sent it to Danny Fudge at TheWritePen and he cured it, along with other issues like hard starting. It's fine now. What he did, I have no idea.

It is easier to stay out than get out. - Mark Twain

I've gotten great advice here before, so, here's the problem:

I bought a Lamy 2000 a while ago and found that the nib was very scratchy except for a tiny sweet spot. I sent it in and it was promptly replaced. Now I have a nib that, while smooth, squeeks when I write and often skips if I write quickly or change direction quickly as I write.

I wonder whether I'm expecting too much and should try my luck with a pen that writes differently,

Or if I should try sending it to a nib meister for tuning and spend more money on the pen.

Since I know no one can tell me what to do, I ask: What would*you* do?

Also, if anybody thinks It could be something *I'm* doing wrong (bad ink, holding it wrong not apreciating that musical squeek), then suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks for the advice!

My guess would be that what others said is right: Misaligned tines and baby's bottom.

If it were me I'd pull out the loupe and align the tines. I'd see how bad the baby's bottom is and, likely, I'd pull out the 2000-grit sandpaper and reshape the nib (still making very sure to keep it in a "ball" shape if it's not a stub or an Italic, etc.). Then, I'd go at it with my buffing sticks so that it would glide across the paper.

Make small adjustments. The saying "Aim small; miss small" is correct in this area.

Now, let me say, I've done this before. I've had some success getting all the pens in my collection to write properly. Is it up to the standards of Binder, Brown, and Mottishaw? Probably not yet. But my pens are all better than when I started with them.

If you haven't done this before, what I would do, then, is send the pen to a recognized nib guy who can do all these things for you.

Frankly, life is way too short to put up with pens that don't write properly. It may take a bit of time, effort, and money, but the Lamy 2000 is a nice pen that will serve you very well if it writes properly.

Good luck...we've all been there.

ScribbleScrabble

ScribbleScrabble: Because My Handwriting is Just That Bad!

The Fountain Pen: An elegant weapon for a more civilized age.

I Write With:

An assortment of
Parker "51"s
and
Levenger True Writers
;

Bexley Corona
(Summer Sunset);
TWSBI
(Diamond 540 Clear Demonstrator);

Laban Meno
(Celebration Shell);
Esterbrook
(Black with 2556-Fine Writing Nib)

Thanks for the help. I think I will find a refutable person the adjust the nib, since I do not have the tecnical knoledge or required tools to makd adjustments myself.

"A pen of quality is a writer's gold"

Thanks for the help. I think I will find a refutable person the adjust the nib, since I do not have the tecnical knoledge or required tools to makd adjustments myself.

I am not advanced enough to offer my services to those who aren't my friends. Otherwise, I'd offer to do it for you.

ScribbleScrabble

ScribbleScrabble: Because My Handwriting is Just That Bad!

The Fountain Pen: An elegant weapon for a more civilized age.

I Write With:

An assortment of
Parker "51"s
and
Levenger True Writers
;

Bexley Corona
(Summer Sunset);
TWSBI
(Diamond 540 Clear Demonstrator);

Laban Meno
(Celebration Shell);
Esterbrook
(Black with 2556-Fine Writing Nib)

I had some similar issues with 2000 nibs as well and nibmeister Richard Binder did a great job for me.

So please invest a bit more and you'll appreciate it every day again and again for as long as you use your Lamy 2000.

Keep writing.

Keep doing it and doing it.

Even in the moments when it's so hurtful to think about writing.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s77/hruud/TheLegendSignatureFPNPR_UB.jpg

My old Safari was very dry and would squeak and scratch and skip. Adjusting the nib carefully like described in many articles turned out to be crucial, as my tines were out of line and too close together. Once that was solved, it was an amazing fine nib.

Please guide me to the articles that helped solve your problem of Lamy's, 'squeak , scratch and skip' syndrome !

Thanks in advance !

Sending your pen to a nibmeister is of course always a viable choice. If, however, your pen is still under warranty - you don't say how long it has been since the original nib was replaced by Lamy with another unsatisfactory nib - why don't you contact Lamy about the continued problem? If the new nib they gave you has both baby bottom and misaligned tines - or either of these problems - I would consider that unacceptable and, from what I have read, Lamy does stand behind their products and would want to make this right for you. Third time's a charm???

Holly

Please guide me to the articles that helped solve your problem of Lamy's, 'squeak , scratch and skip' syndrome !

Thanks in advance !

Here you go: It's one of the stickies in the Writing Instruments forum: Five Bad Things That Happen with New Pens

Sending your pen to a nibmeister is of course always a viable choice. If, however, your pen is still under warranty - you don't say how long it has been since the original nib was replaced by Lamy with another unsatisfactory nib - why don't you contact Lamy about the continued problem? If the new nib they gave you has both baby bottom and misaligned tines - or either of these problems - I would consider that unacceptable and, from what I have read, Lamy does stand behind their products and would want to make this right for you. Third time's a charm???

Holly

+1

Yep, that is what I would do too. If it is still under warranty, which from your post it seems to be....or if you paid the last time you returned it...and it came back in this state....I would return it. I don't know how much a nibmeister will charge to adjust your pen....but why should you have to pay again? Of course, if it is going to cost more to return it to Lamy than to a nibmeister...then you may want to reconsider :thumbup: