Waterman 52 Nib/feed Or Section Removal ?

JimB

I have a Waterman 52 c. 1920's, with a nib that I absolutely love, but after writing with it for maybe a page or 2, it starts to reduce the ink flow until it is dry, but the ink supply is not exhausted, since I can prime it with a lift of the lever, but usually a drop or two of ink get plopped on my paper in the process. So what do I do to fix this?

I was thinking maybe the feed needs to be cleaned. I'd like to drop it in an ultrasonic cleaner. I guess I'm asking what gets dropped in the cleaner? Surely not the entire hard-rubber pen, as I heard that should never be done. Maybe the section unscrews safely? Or the nib and feed should be pulled free?

I'm flying by the seat of my pants here, not knowing what to do. Any help appreciated!

It is easier to stay out than get out. - Mark Twain

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JimB

• Tom Heath

• Chi Town

• Uncle Red

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Usually, this problem is caused by 1 - 2 issues.... The 1 st thing I would check is the bladder....It may be stuck to the walls inside the Barell or have a hole in it....Once you fix that, try writing a pages to two pages and see if it blobs any more.... If it does, you may have to adjust the nib... By gripping with your thumb nails, very gently on each side of the nib with the feed facing you and gently pushing away on the nib. This will close up the nib on the feed. You may have to do this 4-5 times to achieve proper adjustment, write with the pen after each adjustment to see if it blobs anymore!

Post to let us know how this works....

Forgot to say, it would be a good idea, while you are in the bladder area, it would be a good idea to clean the nib and feed, by putting only the nib and and feed in the ultrasonic cleaner. You also will want to clean the channels out with a razor blade or a scrapper.

Edited by Chi Town

Thanks for all that advice, I appreciate it, but I'm woefully ignorant. Do I just gently pull the nib and feed free from the section, or does it screw in, or do I need to heat it in warm water to remove it?

Before taking your pen apart.. ssunbing since you have owned it it did work well for a time.

Your may have allowed it to idle too long. Resulting in a clogged feed , probably with dried ink on the back of the nib.

1st. My I suggest that you mke a 50-50 solution of cold wter and household ammonia.

Mix enough to soak the complete section to where it joins the barrel.

2. Assuming again the pen fills, draw in and expel your solution three or four times.

3. Next Fill the bladder sme solution and allow to soak for 2 - 3 hours, evry now and then check your progress, inky water, look for any chnge in the section color if color change begins stop the process. Back flush everything, the back flush should result in reltively clear water.

If this works , then fill the pen with ink and see if there is any change. Did the skipping stop.?

If not try inserting smll piece of paper between the nib and the feed. Does it dgo right in or is there resistance.. Resistance is good , no resistance, the section, feed nd nib should be dis assembled.

Once apart eye the fee and section is the section out of round, if the feed sloping downwrd when sighted. If the feed is out of round it must be mde round agin.. If the feed has a downward bia that is what allowed the paper to get gehing the nib causing the loss of vacum and shipping when writing.

Most experienced repairman know that to do with either of these issues.. But giving it a good cleaning is a great placce to start and does solve a lot of issues.

If you insist on taking your pen apart. Patience and care are the by works. One never knows what the previous owner used to resac the pen in the back....

Specilty tools are available to aide in the process. Normall aWatermn Early section ws a friction fit having no adhesives. Tody may prople when replacing will use Shallac, Nail mpolish, Crazy glue to hold the section together

When removing the section from the brrel a good pair or rubber coated pliars should be employed to gently rock the section out the barrel, while rotating the brrel to provide even pressure.

Unfortunately, an occassional pen is lost along the way in the process , I am sure you get the idea.

If you are going to be repairing your own pens , do pick up a Copy of Frank Dubiel's book

often referred to as "Da Book", sort of bible on how to do it.

Distributed thru Pendamonium and other find Pen shops..

Good luck with your repair project.

Tom Heath

penfancier1915@hotmail.com

Tom Heath

Peace be with you . Hug your loved ones today

januaryman, I wouldn't soak the section in water at all. Sucking up some cleaning solution and letting it sit in the sack might help.

What ink are you using? I have the same trouble with my Waterman 52 1/2V with PR Sepia and I just live with it. Other inks work just fine.

Okay, thanks Tom, your description convinced me not to try to take the pen apart. I will try the ammonia and water solution. I might try to pull out the feed and nib gently, but if it resists, off it goes to someone who knows what they're doing. :doh:

Uncle Red, I had to use ESSRI because it was a bit of a gusher pen, and I know ESSRI cured 2 other pens like this that I had. After I try cleaning and flushing, I may try something else, but I know Waterman Florida Blue will spill out like a hose. Still, thanks for the suggestion. Now to find another ink candidate. Hmmmm... :hmm1:

Not sure what you are referring to when you say Watermans' Florida Blue out will spill out like hose.

If your pen is hemoraging ink, you my very well have hole in the sac...

With the sac filled try virorously shaking the pen see if small droplete come out which is to be expected. If you create a flood, after purging as previously recommended replace the sac.

Good Luck

Tom

penfancier1915@hotmail.com

Tom Heath

Peace be with you . Hug your loved ones today

januaryman, I wouldn't soak the section in water at all. Sucking up some cleaning solution and letting it sit in the sack might help.

What ink are you using? I have the same trouble with my Waterman 52 1/2V with PR Sepia and I just live with it. Other inks work just fine.

+1 Although I do use ammonia to clean my old BHR Waterman's on occasion, I think those with repair/restoration experience would recommend, at most, only cycles of fill/expunge, rather than soaking. The usual recommended ratio is 10:1 water:ammonia, where "ammonia" means household ammonia (already only 10% solution) without other additives. Not being pedantic, just concerned, based on many cautions I've read about soaking BHR (let alone in strong ammonia solution).