Parker Vacummatic Sale

subbucal

Hi,

I am new to this forum. A known person is selling a Parker Vacummatic, made in Canada for Rs.1500/- (30 US dollars approx). It has a 14K nib, with an arrow on it and is in good condition (writes smoothly). However, the filler is not working properly but the pen can be used as an eyedropper. The cap is in excellent condition. The barrel is so-so the imprints are not visible.

Please let me know is it a good buy, atleast as a collector item or for /gold value.Unfortunately, have no pictures of same.

thanks

Subbu

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rahulg

• subbucal

• writebyhand

• Chrontius

Top Posters In This Topic

if you want a faster and probably less expensive turnaround (not to bring down any other of the respected restorers on this site, who all have their own expertise to recommend them), i'd recommend my restorer, danny fudge, who's done over 20 of my vacs. you can find him at www.thewritepen.net.

$30 isn't bad for a vac; expect to pay at least $20 more (plus shipping) for restoration. i wouldn't recommend its use as an eyedropper, through--the ink will very likely seep through the section threads unless you seal the connection very tightly (i'm presuming this is where you'll be putting in the ink). otherwise it will also leak out of the other end, the plunger end; if the diaphragm is shot, then that part's no longer airtight and will likely leak. get it working as a proper vacumatic and you should be okay ;)

Check out my blog and my pens

Hi Subbu,

Welcome. Just FYI, I picked up a restored Azure Vac for around 1400/- in Bombay a month back, though I suspect Calcutta prices for vintage pens are much higher than those of Bombay. So you can expect to bargain a bit more, maybe bring it down to 1000, and get the filler repaired from one of the local repair shops around Chowringhee in Calcutta. Always dip test the nib out. A tuned Vac nib should feel like skating on ice. Let me know if you want further details. Most happy to help.

Best,

Rahul

Edited by rahulg

http://oi44.tinypic.com/30vg3eo.jpg

Follow at @rg1283 and http://bluecabbage.blogspot.com

Hi Rahul, I would like to know where you picked up your Azure. Also if there is a source in Mumbai where a Parker vac is available.

Hi Subbu, Parker vacs may end up costing as much as the pen itself. Also, double check if the pen can really be used as an eyedropper. Good luck.

Hi Manoj,

Please check the shops at Flora Fountain at Fort, or better still, check this detailed photo guide, created by an old timer around these parts, Hari.

Please do a search in the forums before posting queries, you're likely to find an answer most of the time.

Regards,

Rahul

Edited by rahulg

Hi All,

Thank you very much for all the guidance and help. I bought it yesterday for Rs.1000/- (20 US dollars approx), after a bargain, more because I fell in love with it....The nib as rahul said is as smooth as butter and leaves a fine mark. The filler is also working but not too well...will give it at Pen hospital in Chowringhee or Strand Rd when I go to to Calcutta, there is also one near my house in hazra too. I stay in Chennai-India, here there is a shop Gem & Co who may also repair it....will surely post my outcome. Since, it may be a very costly affair to send it outside India, I will try these options. Will also post pics of it by weekend.

Thank you all once again.

Rgds

Subbu

I'm happy you decided not to try to make an ED out of it.

A lot of fancy brain work went into making that mechanism, to suck ink.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Hi Subbu,

Looks like you got a good deal out of it. Congratulations. Big aye to Bo Bo – Trying to make it an ED would most likely require a major overhaul and cleanup. The vac-filler is so convenient, and it's not too difficult to get one refurbished, so the Pen Hospital sounds like a good plan.