Any Love For Rotring?

Xaltotun

I own a Rotring Rivette, bright yellow. It's definitely a low-end pen but it writes with no problems at all. Very dependable and I like the style. Most certainly worth the $, which is a lot more than I can say for many of the catalog pens I have bought.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zoniguana

• Phormula

• Xaltotun

• deansellers

I am also interested in the new rapid PRO series in black (namely the 0.5 & 2mm MPs and the BP). If they feel as good as the 600 they will replace them as my EDC pens.

Well I think the Rapid Pro is a very nice pencil, but not on the same level with the 600s in my eyes - not far behind either...There are some people who might disagree...

The Pro I have is a 2 mm leadholder, so not a direct comparison with the 600s...The knurling is more dense, the barrel feels softer due to the smoother edges and it's a tiny bit longer and thicker...For me it is less comfortable and a bit less balanced...

I thought it would change my mind on the 600, but it just did not...I prefer the 600's knurling on the grip, and the sharper edges, but I like the Pro's smoother barrel as well...

The 600 is more comfortable for me on the long run, it is as good as it gets...

The tip of the Pro 0.5 and 0.7 is retractable what can be a big plus in a shirt pocket..

I think it's a great return from Rotring to the design route of the old 600's...for me not AS good, but better than most...

I think you should try it yourself! ;)

AWESOME!!!!

I bought a few Rotring mechanical pencils in the past few weeks; I am still waiting for most of them, but have made a couple of posts with the few that I received (600, 800 - just got a 300, too). Look for my past recent past for pics.

But, seriously, I want the fountain pen(s), hoping I can find some in Paris in February! :puddle:

Edited by Xaltotun

I have a couple of Rotrings listed in the classifieds at the moment, a 900 and a Lissabon, I could probably be talked out of my 600 Lava as well if someone had a hankering for it, I _LOVE_ the way it looks and feels in the hand, the ball-shaped nail-hard nib and I don't mesh well, I keep it loaded with Diamine Poppy to underline/highlight my notes.

Cheers, Ted

I loooove my Rotring 600 Trios (.7mm, bp, bp) - I wore out my first one (the mechanism for changing the functions wore thin and broke) and Rotring wouldn't repair it because it was no longer made. I stockpiled several more Trios just as they were discontinued. I have several FPs, but haven't used them. I also have a few 600 BPs and pencils.

I have a Freeway which is a nice well built FP.

My faaaaavorites are my Cores. They may have a bad rap for looks, but I think they look awesome and they are smooth reliable writers. Not to mention a fantastic deal for the price.

I am addicted to Rotring... to the Rotring 600's, to the point where I've amassed too many, even multiples of one model. I believe one can make a hefty profit selling them off on that big auction site...

Let's begin:

Rotring 600 Family Values (Silver Knurled Grip):

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5132/5515807286_2c7c87e5bb.jpg

The matriarch of that family reunited months later:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6199/6148439830_9e5436c534.jpg

Rotring 600 Newton Trio Trifecta:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6113/6255946485_357d4c10fd.jpg

Rotring 600 Newton "Lava" - The Feel of a Wet Rock:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6093/6255917327_91633eea04.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2074/5694375781_d729d430cb.jpg

There is (and was) still more... Some duplicates had to be sold. I'm starting to feel fickle about the Lava versions. They may look nice on paper, and the finish is beautiful, but I don't know. Sometimes, I feel like they're more appropriate for "the elderly"... But other times, especially the Trio and FP version, look really cool for anyone, anywhere. I'm not too fond of the Lava BP and MP versions, and they don't compare to the original knurled grip equivalents. To sell or not to sell...

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6100/6208419571_b24dc06316.jpg

There is a tide in the affairs of men.

Which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune.

-- Marcus Junius Brutus

I have a lava 600 and two Initials and I love them. I really want at least one more 600, but the prices they fetch on ebay are prohibitive. :(

My mother had a few rotring FPs for artists, and she loved them.

My best friend had a rotring 600 which he trashed out.

I tried both with rotring cardriges and they appeared to be dry and stiff skippers.

Everything is impermanent.

Definitely, great pens. I've been looking for any Core model in XL for a while.

Ah - I forgot that I also have a Core! :bonk: It's my permanent take-along pen because it's so tough I don't worry if it happens to fall out of my bag. Writes first time, every time! :clap1:

• 1 month later...

Ah - I forgot that I also have a Core! :bonk: It's my permanent take-along pen because it's so tough I don't worry if it happens to fall out of my bag. Writes first time, every time! :clap1:

Interesting! On which ink?

Everything is impermanent.

My Rotring initial is my everyday pen. Nice weight. Writes ok. Cost was $30. And, they say it's got some air pressure relief that they say let's it "safely" be used on airplanes.

--

Glenn (love those pen posses)

Nothing high end, just a telescopic Esprit, and an Art Pen with an "F" sketching nib. I've found both to be reliable, smooth writers, fwiw.

I have a Rotring Initial, and can verify that it does indeed work without a hitch on airplanes. It is quite heavy and the nib is uber stiff. Even so it is pleasant to write with. Being a cartridge/converter pen makes it convenient if it runs out of ink on the plane, but still allows the use of bottled ink at home. The cap will fall off when posted unless it is firmly pressed on, which is the only fault, however slight, I found with the pen.

Photos and a very well done review on the Initial are here.

No love whatsoever. I've worked with their drawing pens for years and had many of their fountain pens in the 1980s and 1990s but none suited me. Wasn't in love with their appearance and feel, either.

I have a full set (BP, RB, MP, FP) of the 600 (aluminum, silver colored, brushed finish) . . .

I have one of these sets as well and I agree that they all perform flawlessly. The MP is by far my favorite pencil and to say that they are all stoutly built is a tremendous understatement. Nice nib on the FP, too.

I'll bet the FP and the RB could be used as field-expedient hammers and come away none the worse for wear.

Edited by JLT

JLT (J. L. Trasancos, Barneveld, NY)

"People with courage and character always seem sinister to the rest."

Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962)

I have 2 Rotring Initials (F and M nibs) and I adore both, the F was my first 'real' fountain. I'm so impressed with them I've been hunting a cheap blue version and a lava 600. Really amazing pens and I got mine for the price of an Al-Star so I've not got a bad word for them!

Interesting! On which ink?

I have it filled with Kiowa Pecan from Noodlers.