The Best Of The Super Extra Fine

teeitup418holes

I am a fanatic over the SEF/EEF/Super Extra Fine nibs on fountain pens. And, since Japanese fountain pens are known for running fine, I've found myself amassing a collection of fine writing fine nibbed fountain pens. I'll give somewhat of a review, but more of my thoughts on SEF Japanese writers.

INTRODUCTION:

These pens are some of the best that I've found of the Super Extra Fine writers on the market, each of which have very unique and wonderful qualities. I'd love to hear how you like any of the pens found in this evaluation, and the miles your pens have on them.

Appearance & Design

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y303/teeitup418holes/UrushiTogether.jpg

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y303/teeitup418holes/SEFPens.jpg

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y303/teeitup418holes/NakayaHairlineTogether.jpg

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y303/teeitup418holes/NakayaSEFCloseup.jpg

Sailor Saibi Togi (8)

This wonderful nib is fitted into the full size 1911 pen body, and is the classic design and feel with nothing extravagant to detract from the nib. I love the simplicity and elegance of a black resin with rhodium trim. It really doesn't stand out among the Japanese Urushi, but then again it doesn't have to.

Nakaya Portable Cigar Writer (10)

The Nakaya craftsmanship is absolutely stunning on this pen. The simplicity of the cigar shape is made alive through the hairline/matte black finish. Words cannot adequately describe the fantastic feel that this finish has in your hands. It's subtle, yet smooth, while at the same time not a tacky smooth. Paired with the Fumigation Silver clip, this pen is rugged and raw.

Danitrio Ki-Dame (10)

Pictures can't capture the perfection of Urushi that this Danitrio has. I love the bold ki-dame Urushi because it is unlike any other Urushi finish out there. This is my favorite pen to look at and hold.

Construction & Quality

Sailor Saibi Togi (10)

The Sailor company may not produce the most unique looking pens in their standard line, but they sure do make some great quality pens. The 1911 and Professional Gear are both made with the precision that you would expect in a fine writing instrument.

I have never purchased a Nakaya pen that I have not drooled over looking at. But, closer examination proves the perfection that Nakaya strives to achieve. This is how a pen should be made.

Danitrio Ki-Dame (10)

Again, as with the Sailor and the Nakaya, the construction and quality are exactly what you would expect from a high end writing instrument. Only the best.

Weight & Dimensions

Sailor Saibi Togi (10)

Sailor has made writing such a pleasurable experience through the design of their pens. This pen is perfectly balanced and fits great in my large hand. This particular pen is one that I post, which adds that little bit of weight that makes writing with this pen a dream.

Nakaya Portable Cigar Writer (9)

I'm not one that likes a really heavy pen (as in a fully sterling silver, or a bulky pen), but I would like just a little bit more weight than this Nakaya provides. I don't post any of my Nakaya pens, which means they are a bit lighter than what I prefer. But I'm definitely splitting hairs here. I love writing with my Nakayas and not being able to post them hasn't kept me from purchasing them. The fact that they are created longer than the average pen is helpful in the fact that they don't have to be posted to be long enough. I guess my next option would be the equilibrium addition to the pen...but that would mean I'd have to wait several weeks, which would mean I would have to exercise patience...and my wife can tell you I don't have much of that :)

Danitrio Ki-Dame (8)

This really is a small pen that can't be posted. I knew this when I purchased the pen, but the beauty of the design and Urushi beckoned me to purchase it. But, again, if I'm getting picky, I wish it was just a tad bit heavier and a touch longer. But, those two things don't keep me from loving this pen. This one is definitely the smallest in length of the trio.

Nib & Performance

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y303/teeitup418holes/SEFTrio.jpg

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y303/teeitup418holes/SEFNibWritingSample.jpg

So, this is really the section of the review that made me write this in the first place...these pens are phenomenal writers (please excuse my poor handwriting). Here's a little bit about each nib.

Sailor Saibi Togi (8) 21k Rhodium

Sailor nailed it when they say this is Super Extra Fine (SEF)...in more ways than one. This is a hard writer, and there's no way around that. The design of this nib is such that writing when flipped upside down creates a broad, bold, juicy line. Writing with it traditionally and normally creates a tee-tiny line that is definitely super extra fine. Unlike Sailor's EF nib (which I find smooth), there isn't a whole lot smooth about it unless you write with a gentle and light touch. It honestly takes me writing a few words before I find a groove with writing with this Saibi Togi nib. But, once I do, I always enjoy writing for pages and pages. Once I write a little bit with it, I get into a rhythm and it is a pleasure to write with. And boy does it write fine!

Nakaya Portable Cigar Writer (10) 14k Ruthenium

This is my preference when writing with a SEF. It is definitely a super extra fine, but it isn't the hard nail that the Sailor nib is. It is a smooth and enjoyable writing experience. John Mottishaw tuned all of my Nakaya fountain pens, and between the great Nakaya nib, and his skilled hand, this is a perfect combination of a SEF nib with a smooth writing experience. This pen glides across the paper with a juicy and smooth line. In my opinion, this is the best SEF nib on the market.

Danitrio Ki-Dame (9) 18k two tone Gold and Rhodium

This nib claims that it is an Extra Extra Fine (EEF). And, it is...but not according to the Japanese SEF. So, that's why I only gave it a 9. It is definitely not half as fine of a line as the Nakaya or the Sailor. In fact, if I put the Nakaya and Sailor line right on top of each other, it still would be thinner than the one line this Danitrio puts down. But this is such a smooth and perfect writing experience. When I write with it, I hear harps and violins playing in the background :) It is perfection (unless you are looking for a super thin line).

Filling System & Maintenance (10)

All of these pens are Cartridge/Converter filling systems, which is no problem for me. Since they are SEF nibs, they don't put out the volume of ink that more broad nibs put out, which means I rarely have to go back to fill up my pen. So, I don't see a problem with any of these being a C/C filler. I enjoy the C/C fillers because I can switch out inks and colors with ease.

Cost & Value

Sailor Saibi Togi (10)

This is the cheapest of the trio of Super Extra Fine writers with a retail of $360. For that price, you can't go wrong. It's definitely worth that price to those of us who enjoy SEF nibs. And, it's such a unique nib that is really two nibs in one. The traditional writing produces the SEF, but you can flip the nib over and get a whole new writing experience. Two pens for one money.

This pen retails for $650, and I upgraded the nib and clip for an additional $48 for a total of $700. Every aspect of this pen is wonderful. From the Hairline/Matte Black finish which feels like a dream, to the unique ruthenium nib and the fumigation silver. Nakaya fountain pens are a steal of a deal considering they are handcrafted and each made unique. I have three Nakaya Fountain Pens, and bought them all brand new. I love them.

Danitrio Ki-Dame (10)

This pen was the most expensive of the three, but definitely unique and beautiful. Danitro fountain pens are definitely worth the investment with the joy they bring to the writer.

Conclusion

These are all amazing in their own right. I'd have to say that my Nakaya Hairline portable cigar writer is probably my favorite. If Jack Bauer carried a fountain pen, this would be it. It's raw but finished. If you like writing with a Super Extra Fine nib, you will find what you are looking for in the Nakaya or Sailor. If you are looking for something that has a thin line yet buttery smooth, and you don't have to have the thinnest available, the Danitrio would be a great option. They each score a 10/10 in their own unique way.

I'm enjoying all three of these pens, and will for years to come.

Edited by teeitup418holes

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• teeitup418holes

• reprieve

• dannyboy

• sallywally

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice and informative, thanks!

Unless I am mistaken, Danitrios do not have Japanese nibs.

Yes, that's true. They are Bock nibs (if I am remembering correctly).

Very nice and informative, thanks!

Unless I am mistaken, Danitrios do not have Japanese nibs.

Yes, that's true. They are Bock nibs (if I am remembering correctly).

The current Danitrio nibs are all Bock except for the huge #50 24k nib on the Yokozuna series which is made in Japan. The #50 might give you a clue as to which Japanese company.

2020 San Francisco Pen Show
August 28-30th, 2020
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

Thanks for such a thoughtful review of my three favorite penmakers! Add to this Namiki and you've got the world's best pens--the nibs on all these are exquisite and in my experience have never failed!

What a fantastic resource! I've been curious about the Nakaya Super Extra Fine nib. My Portable cigar has an XF nib--I use it for marginalia--but I occasionally wish it were finer. The SEF looks just about perfect.

I have the Saibi Togi, but I thought it was available only on the Professional Gear and cost quite a bit more than the $360 you indicate. Mine is on the Brown Mosaie version of the Prof Gear. It's the finest nib I have.

I've also got the Super Extra Fine on three Nakaya and love the nib and all the pens! It is not quite as fine as the Saibi Togi, but is great! I have a long cigar, a portable cigar, and a piccolo. I may be getting another portable cigar....a blue Ascending Dragon. Ulp I have to sell a lot of pens to pay for that one, though! And the Ohio Pen Show is coming up.... :cloud9: Maybe I should sell all those pens and take the cash to the show instead!

Pilot nibs are not fine enough for my taste, although I can't give u my Pilot sterling silver Crane.

Nakaya Piccolo Heki Tamenuri 14K XF

Nakaya Ascending Dragon Heki 14K XXF

Sailor Brown Mosaic 21K Saibi Togi XXF

Sailor Maki-e Koi 21K XF

Pilot Namiki Sterling Silver Crane FP

Bexley Dragon XXF

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4iGeCcpI/AAAAAAAAA2A/xh2FRE0B8p0/s320/InkDropLogoFPN3.jpg

I have the Saibi Togi, but I thought it was available only on the Professional Gear and cost quite a bit more than the $360 you indicate. Mine is on the Brown Mosaie version of the Prof Gear. It's the finest nib I have.

Is yours in the King of Pen Professional gear? Mine came in the standard 1911...that could be why the cost was cheaper.

And, you have three of the SEF Nakaya nibs? Wow. That's amazing! It is a wonderful nib for sure!