This Ink Addiction.....

Lothianjavert

As if the fountain pen addiction isn't bad enough.... there are just so many wonderful ink options. My ink want list keeps growing. I'm not even sure I have a favorite, as my preferences seem to change. I have a small amount compared to many (8), but there are just so many I'd love to try out and add. How many inks do you need? How many inks are in your "collection" or in regular rotation?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JonSzanto

• Ink Stained Wretch

• WanderingAuthor

• USMCMom

You probably need only one ink that you like using. I have a lot of ink bottles in my collection. In my regular rotation I probably use 5.

<!-- isHtml:1 --><!-- isHtml:1 --><a class='bbc_url' href='http://www.musingcrowdesigns.com'>Musing Crow Designs

As if the fountain pen addiction isn't bad enough.... there are just so many wonderful ink options. My ink want list keeps growing. I'm not even sure I have a favorite, as my preferences seem to change. I have a small amount compared to many (8), but there are just so many I'd love to try out and add. How many inks do you need? How many inks are in your "collection" or in regular rotation?

I gave up counting my ink bottles years ago. I had over 100 then. I haven't been buying as much since then, but I have gotten in on some sales and bought more of some inks that I already had, mostly Noodler's inks. This despite the fact that I already had a lifetime supply of fountain pen ink.

The variety of inks really is enormous. And there are enough good ones to really get a person going round and round trying to use them and experiment with them. I mix inks so I'm really in a situation where I can get a lot of time absorbed by them, what with all of the combinations possible.

I actually have a hard time now finding where to put the, mostly redundant, bottles of ink that I bought last year :headsmack: . Economic circumstances have stepped in to limit my ink purchasing, but I really have to resist at times. Sales on ink are the worst for me. I can easily resist inks that sell for $35 for a two ounce bottle, but when inks get seriously discounted I have been known to weaken, as happened last year.

In general inks are cheaper than fountain pens, but not always, and in different fountain pens, using different paper and when mixing, a new bottle of ink can be a whole new toy :ltcapd: .

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

You probably need only one ink that you like using.

I concur... I have found Diamine OxBlood to be my very favorite and use only that one...

http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac65/officer_dread/SnailBadge.png

http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac65/officer_dread/knight11.jpg

Poor Knights of Christ

If there are inks you want to try, maybe samples would help you decide if you really want any particular ink. Gouletpens.com and peartreepens.com offer samples at a very low price. I've purchased inks from both and the service is the best. There's even an ink "club" called Ink Drop, where monthly you receive 5 samples vials of ink for $10. Ink Drop is through gouletpens.com. Samples are a nice way to try out all the inks you want to play with and not buy ink that you find out you don't really like.

This is my ink shelf as of 5 minutes ago.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2270/5723085048_567eb78fa7_z.jpg

The empty spaces are going to be filled very soon, I'm afraid... :bonk:

Help out a poor college student! ^-^' INK SAMPLE CLEARANCE! - Parker Penman Sapphire samples, Palomino Blackwing, Palomino Blackwing 602, and empty vials available.

:yikes: :blink:

http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac65/officer_dread/SnailBadge.png

http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac65/officer_dread/knight11.jpg

Poor Knights of Christ

Ladies and gentlemen, I now introduce to you one of our local crack dealers! :headsmack:

Naw, I've had a great time with both papersk8r and Goulet's samples. Frankly, in a way it is a best of both worlds: you get to try a bunch of inks but don't commit to a big bottle unless you find you really like it! I've got an order coming later this week, P...

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

WOW - it looks really impressive. :yikes: :notworthy1:

Regards

Arkadiusz 'Black Fox' Artyszuk

Oh yeah, you're an ink addict, all right. Takes one to know one. Unfortunately, I can no longer fit all of my ink bottles in one place. Also, I prefer to keep my ink bottles in the dark to avoid any Sun damage.

PS - In your photograph, under the shelf of all Noodler's there's a shelf that has some Noodler's on the right side, but what are those four ink bottles on the left side? They look like Noodler's bottles, but the labels aren't ones that I recognize. What are those :hmm1: ?

:notworthy1: :notworthy1: :notworthy1:

Oh yeah, you're an ink addict, all right. Takes one to know one. Unfortunately, I can no longer fit all of my ink bottles in one place. Also, I prefer to keep my ink bottles in the dark to avoid any Sun damage.

PS - In your photograph, under the shelf of all Noodler's there's a shelf that has some Noodler's on the right side, but what are those four ink bottles on the left side? They look like Noodler's bottles, but the labels aren't ones that I recognize. What are those :hmm1: ?

The blinds are usually closed in that room, so it stays dark in there. I opened them up to take the photo. Since I do so many ink samples, I've found that I have to keep the bottles in such a way that I can access them quickly and easily.

Those four bottles are Everflo! :)

Help out a poor college student! ^-^' INK SAMPLE CLEARANCE! - Parker Penman Sapphire samples, Palomino Blackwing, Palomino Blackwing 602, and empty vials available.

If there are inks you want to try, maybe samples would help you decide if you really want any particular ink. Gouletpens.com and peartreepens.com offer samples at a very low price. I've purchased inks from both and the service is the best. There's even an ink "club" called Ink Drop, where monthly you receive 5 samples vials of ink for $10. Ink Drop is through gouletpens.com. Samples are a nice way to try out all the inks you want to play with and not buy ink that you find out you don't really like.

:ltcapd::Too late! I have become addicted to the sample of inks now :ltcapd:

Edited by fountainpenlady

Ea Alis Volat Propiis, per/Repletus Fontis Calamus!
She Flies by Her Own Wings, with filled Fountain Pen

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

http://farm3.static....67eb78fa7_z.jpg

The blinds are usually closed in that room, so it stays dark in there. I opened them up to take the photo. Since I do so many ink samples, I've found that I have to keep the bottles in such a way that I can access them quickly and easily.

Those four bottles are Everflo! :)

I can not decide an appropriate response to the photo I just viewed. Do I put it as my ultimate dream? Do I put it on my desktop? Do I put it as a screen saver? Or do I do the ultimate...:notworthy1:::puddle::drool: Do I see more than an entire row of Irushizuku? They sure resemble the unique bottles.

Edited by fountainpenlady

Ea Alis Volat Propiis, per/Repletus Fontis Calamus!
She Flies by Her Own Wings, with filled Fountain Pen

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

Paperskater in a year or two...

http://www.1001inkbottles.com/pics/cl0129.jpg

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Okay, I now have photographic evidence that I have a looong way to go to catch up with my own ink addiction! Next time a certain someone remarks on yet another ink bottle coming into the house - I'll be trotting out these pictures. Amazing! Write on! :notworthy1:

"Life would split asunder without letters." Virginia Woolf

If I had any money I'd be approaching that by now. Looks like something I'd like to browse around in :cloud9: .

Yeah, see I don't have an ink addiction. This just helps prove it to my fiancee ;)

Edited by Ouroboros

How many inks do I need?

Oh, I think a lifetime supply of every colour ever made would be enough...

I'm not joking, either. Okay, that is impossible. I understand that. But it is what I feel I really need. Who said it was always possible to fulfill every need?

My Quest for Grail Pens:

Onoto The Pen 5500

Gold & Brown Onoto Magna (1937-40)

Tangerine Swan 242 1/2

Large Tiger Eye LeBoeuf

Esterbrook Blue-Copper Marbled Relief 2-L

the Wandering Author

OK, Ok, ok. I had to take multiple deep beathes to keep my heart from jumping out of my chest!

After enlarging the images and looking very closely, I see these appear to be "vintage" ink bottles in multple levels of full - to empty.

Question one is how many years have you been working on this collection?

Q-2, how many antique stores have you searched and how far and wide have you gone to acquire these?

Q-3, what is the total count of the bottles?

Q-4, how many "new" inks do you have for everyday use?

Q-5, If this is you ink collection, what does your fountain pen collection consist of?

Seeing this makes me wonder what Nathan Tardiffs collection looks like!

I must say, this is very impressive and I like it. I would even like to hire the carpenter who made your shelving to assist me with shelving for my own collection if I had the space for it. I can see the love and caring that has gone into it. Congratulations on it.

Edited by FPFan

Fair winds and following seas.