Writing Slope Or Lap Desk

Britt

Other than ebay and azwoodsman is there anywhere else to find a slope?

Or are there folks out there who repair/refurbish them?

Any thoughts or help is most welcome!

-Britt

Waterman Expert II F Oriental Red/Pilot Namiki Vanishing point M Black/Waterman Expert II F Black/Jinhao X750 M Ivory

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• seahunter

• Shangas

• Britt

• beak

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What price are you looking for? Azwoodman does good work, as I've got a writing slope from them. THey might beable to work something out with you.

The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of.

Blaise Pascal

fpn_1336709688__pen_01.jpg

Tell me about any of your new pens and help with fountain pen quality control research!

AzWoodman built themselves a great niche market with their revival of writing slopes made new and to custom specs. Except for AzWoodman and perhaps some other custom box makers out there, most writing slopes you will find are antiques, many off the 'bay, some from antique dealers, etc. Unless you find one in good condition (very hard to do for any reasonable price), it will likely be a labor of love to restore an antique. There are antique restorers out there, but price is something to consider. My 30 year old particle board with cedar lining hope chest was quoted at $900 to repair water damage to the skirt and lid, whereas a new, full cedar chest, larger and with a leather seat, cost $400 in replacement. So, price for the pros is something to consider.

Modern lap desks can be had in a variety of shapes and sizes and functionality from many sources, including Levengers and some Amazon.com shops, office supply stores, stationery stores, and the like. The slope, though, is likely specialty or antique for the most part. That doesn't mean you might not hit a fabulous bargain somewhere, but it may be a bit of a search.

My searches always end up at ebay or an antique dealer, but someone else may know of someone or someplace else to look. If you are looking for an inexpensive slope, consider having an unfinished slope made in a poplar or ash, and you'll likely come away with a price that really can't be beat elsewhere. They look simple, but they are a bit to construct. Maybe consider presenting the idea to a local woodworker who might be willing to take on the task at reasonable cost if someone like AzWoodman is not an option or consideration.

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

I really like these reproduction campaign lap desks. Can be found from several sellers for $125, some with free shipping. I love it because it looks old but is brand new.

Now that is nice, and good value by the look of it. A good, quiet and stylish design.

This type, I find, are easier to use because the writing flap is not raised up from the table - you start from zero. Many boxes have this flap as the top of a compartment, so you are always writing a little higher up than may be comfortable. Personal preferences, of course, but I like this one.

Sincerely, beak.

God does not work in mysterious ways – he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.

I really like these reproduction campaign lap desks. Can be found from several sellers for $125, some with free shipping. I love it because it looks old but is brand new.

Now that is nice, and good value by the look of it. A good, quiet and stylish design.

This type, I find, are easier to use because the writing flap is not raised up from the table - you start from zero. Many boxes have this flap as the top of a compartment, so you are always writing a little higher up than may be comfortable. Personal preferences, of course, but I like this one.

Yes, it looks to be built well, nice hardware, and it actually comes with a few accesories like ink, stylus/nibs - probably items we might not use but would be good to give to someone just starting out.

I also found this little desk organizer that I thought was kind of neat...

post-65905-0-31285200-1301900427.jpg

post-65905-0-82909300-1301900437.jpg

I like the reproduction desk, that is very reasonable. Do you think I could add leather to the writing surface?

I posted the seller's photos of a handmade desk I snagged off the 'bay for $60. At first the seller listed it as antique, then revised the listing to call it a reproduction. It's heavy, unfinished... needs a good sanding and stain/varnish, I want to try to put a lock and a brass carrying handle on it. But I am no woodworker and not sure I have the patience for it :embarrassed_smile:

post-67796-0-54054000-1301925010.jpg

post-67796-0-54940400-1301925049.jpg

post-67796-0-99413000-1301925078.jpg

post-67796-0-04731500-1301925102.jpg

I love the writing slope and have wanted one for quite sometime. But it seems like I always gravitate toward the ones that are $500 and up...

Edited by Britt

-Britt

Waterman Expert II F Oriental Red/Pilot Namiki Vanishing point M Black/Waterman Expert II F Black/Jinhao X750 M Ivory

Other than ebay and azwoodsman is there anywhere else to find a slope?

Or are there folks out there who repair/refurbish them?

Any thoughts or help is most welcome!

PM me what you want and I'll make one for you. I was thinking of making some soon anyway.

For examples of my pen box work, see link in my signature and this one here

Please visit my new pen and ink/pen box site at www.boxesandpens.co.uk

Hand made boxes to store and display your favourite pens.

10% discount for FPN members

I like the reproduction desk, that is very reasonable. Do you think I could add leather to the writing surface?

Britt:

I own one of these that I use at Civil War and Gold Rush reenactments. When you close the writing surface, there is not enough clearance for even a thin piece of leather. You could keep a thin, rolled-up piece of leather inside the large compartment to take out and lay on the writingsurface.

Steve C

Edited by sdcurnow

Curnow Bookbinding & Leatherwork

See us on Facebook

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

Britt:

I own one of these that I use at Civil War and Gold Rush reenactments. When you close the writing surface, there is not enough clearance for even a thin piece of leather. You could keep a thin, rolled-up piece of leather inside the large compartment to take out and lay on the writingsurface.

Steve C

Hi Steve,

Say, when it is in the closed position, is there some kind of catch or something that keeps it closed - can't really tell from the photos I've seen?

Thanks,

Greg

Edited by seahunter

No, there isn't anything to keep it closed.

Curnow Bookbinding & Leatherwork

See us on Facebook

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

I have one from AZwoodman and also from Whispering Wood works.

Whispering Wood Works makes a remake from the Jefferson lap desk. His standards are A+

:thumbup:

"Churn the Butter"

A big advantage of a lap desk like Levenger's is the huge work area which is 32 x 16 inches. I can also set it on the arms of my favorite easy chair, so I can write for long periods. I have this one with the leather top.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/jelb/OFFICE/lapdesk.jpg

To have the advantage on an inclined surface and a large writing area, consider something like this editior's desk. You'll need a lot of desk top space though.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/jelb/OFFICE/IMG_6479.jpg

To have the advantage on an inclined surface and a large writing area, consider something like this editior's desk. You'll need a lot of desk top space though.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/jelb/OFFICE/IMG_6479.jpg

Nice office Blade Runner! You must not have pets or kids :) That is like my grail office, so clean and tidy. I'm always picking stuff up that the critters have knocked off the desks or blowing hair off my stuff! But they're still okay, better than two-legged critters...

Hi Britt,

Apart from eBay and online sellers who make their own writing boxes, the best places to look are antiques shops and flea-markets. That's where I bought mine, at the Portobello Antiques Market in London.

And that's a very nice box you picked up. Quite unique, I think.

Edited by Shangas

http://www.throughouthistory.com/ - My Blog on History & Antiques

Sometimes the road to bad designs is paved with good intentions. I'll pass on this one. :roflmho:

Have you seen this:

Travelling Desk

A man's real possession is his memory. In nothing else is he rich, in nothing else is he poor.