Twsbi Diamond 530

Spector

Thanks for the review

I love these pens and have two.

The nib, however is very poor in my opinion and lets the pen down somewhat. I have swapped them out for something much better and now have a pen that is the best value i have come across.

What nib did you put in place of the factory nib?

"It ain't so much what people don't know that hurts as what they know that ain't so."

-Artemus Ward

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Taxman62

• KrazyIvan

• Spector

• watch_art

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've had a new TWSBI with medium nib for 3 days and am very pleased with it. The pen itself - ie, body, reservoir and nib all function very well, and the fit and finish are very good. I like the size, the weight and the feel in the hand - it doesn't feel like cheap plastic. The improvements I would suggest are all to do with the cap - it should thread more smoothly onto the pen and the clip needs reinforcement where it joins the cap (there is too much lateral play - accentuated when you have to apply more torque than you would expect to fit and remove the cap).

But I have to say the nib is quite remarkable - very smooth and with Noodlers Midnight blue, it shows great lube and flow.

Overall, this is a very good purchase that represents extremely good value for money. The design and thought are evident in the care that has gone into the design and construction of the packaging - I felt there was something learned from Apple here..........

Thanks for the review

The nib, however is very poor in my opinion and lets the pen down somewhat. I have swapped them out for something much better and now have a pen that is the best value i have come across.

swapped with what?

Pelikan M600 nib - there is a thread I posted on here with photos Here

Please visit my new pen and ink/pen box site at www.boxesandpens.co.uk

Hand made boxes to store and display your favourite pens.

10% discount for FPN members

I've had a new TWSBI with medium nib for 3 days and am very pleased with it. The pen itself - ie, body, reservoir and nib all function very well, and the fit and finish are very good. I like the size, the weight and the feel in the hand - it doesn't feel like cheap plastic. The improvements I would suggest are all to do with the cap - it should thread more smoothly onto the pen and the clip needs reinforcement where it joins the cap (there is too much lateral play - accentuated when you have to apply more torque than you would expect to fit and remove the cap).

But I have to say the nib is quite remarkable - very smooth and with Noodlers Midnight blue, it shows great lube and flow.

Overall, this is a very good purchase that represents extremely good value for money. The design and thought are evident in the care that has gone into the design and construction of the packaging - I felt there was something learned from Apple here..........

I agree with you 100% on the needed improvement with the cap thread.

Thanks for the review

swapped with what?

Pelikan M600 nib - there is a thread I posted on here with photos Here

Nice swap. I was considering grinding the TWSBI nib, but now a nib swap, hummm...

• 2 weeks later...

I also really enjoy my TWSBI w/M nib. Smooth writer now for about a month. My complaints are small in that the cap is firm to screw on. Not as smooth as any other of my modern pens. Today I noticed a 1mm hairline crack where the edge of the grip meets the nib assembly. I'm gentle with my pens so I was a little surprised. I sent TWSBI an email requesting to purchase the failed part for a DIY repair. I hope they come through.

Received a reply by Speedy, part will be sent...

Update : Received the grip section part quickly and replacing it was simple. Didn't even need to empty the ink.

I have been enjoying my TWSBI with EF nib although I purchased a F nib too. I have not swapped it out as of yet as the EF nib seems to lay down a failrly broad line for my taste/paper/ink combo. I did have to dump the Diamine Asa Blue I had in it last week. My brother, who was visiting from North Carolina, was looking at it and accidentally unscrewed the section with it ink'd. This dumped ink in between the section and polycarb body (I think it's polycarb), if that makes sense. :headsmack: He caught it fast enough that he did not get any ink on himself. I dumped the ink and just removed the section with the nib in place and washed it out. I let it dry for a bit and propmtly filled with Lamy Blue Black. That section was not on very tight and after reading this thread, maybe that is a good thing. I did not tighten it too much for fear of cracking it. No leaks or sign of cracks. :thumbup:

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/TWSBI/DSC08454.jpg?t=1302884267

I put an m425 rhodium nib into my TWSBI to maintain the all silver look and it is GORGEOUS and of course writes incredibly. I have an extra, uninked rhodium m425 nib that I don't know what to do with and think I'll sell, but the one I'm using on my TWSBI just makes me SOOOOOOOO happy! :D :D :D

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/TWSBI/DSC08459.jpg?t=1302884267

Before that I had a cursive italic m400 nib in it and that was pretty awesome too.

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Saskia_Madding/TWSBI/DSC07878.jpg?t=1302884098

Why would you want or need a tool to open a pen?? I have no experience with pens except that I have a Lamy Sefari and used to have a Lamy Vista before it developed a crack on the part of the frontpiece the cnverter snaped into. Then I had it in my pocket at work and retained the cap but lost the pen.

And why would I want a nib that is less than as stiff as possible? I mainly like fountain pens because they require no pressure. Writing with no downward pressure, I don't see why the nib shouldn't be as stiff as possible so you know it won't get bent out of shape or broken easily.

Wouldn't it be nicer if as much of a pen was made out of something other than plastic? Plastic feels like such a cheap, flimsy material. What about stainless steel or maybe wood for most a pen and some kind of grip section that is easy to grip and maybe not smooth metal?

Why would you want or need a tool to open a pen?? I have no experience with pens except that I have a Lamy Sefari and used to have a Lamy Vista before it developed a crack on the part of the frontpiece the cnverter snaped into. Then I had it in my pocket at work and retained the cap but lost the pen.

And why would I want a nib that is less than as stiff as possible? I mainly like fountain pens because they require no pressure. Writing with no downward pressure, I don't see why the nib shouldn't be as stiff as possible so you know it won't get bent out of shape or broken easily.

Wouldn't it be nicer if as much of a pen was made out of something other than plastic? Plastic feels like such a cheap, flimsy material. What about stainless steel or maybe wood for most a pen and some kind of grip section that is easy to grip and maybe not smooth metal?

different strokes for different folks. the more pens you use the more your taste may change and develop.

From what you wrote, my guess is that you would really enjoy a "Rotring 600"

To each their own. I don't think you'd be happy with a TWSBI, but perhaps with a more expensive pen.

For the first point, I guess it's the possibility of being able to personalize what you own. There's a joy to taking something apart and constructing it back together again. It has a very hacker-like appeal. I ride a bike and one of the reasons why I really liked the TWSBI was because just like a bike I could the parts of it to customize it to my own liking.

Second point would be of interest for those in flex, I guess. I don't really care about flex and I love writing with no use of any downward preassure at all, but that's a reason why you'd want it less stiff. So you can flex the nib and have more line variation for some very beautiful calligraphy effects.

As for plastics, they may be cheap (one of the appeals of the TWSBI being it is inexpensive), but I disagree on the filmsy. ABS plastic is quite resistant.

In some things in life it's better to take a Zen approach. If you think too much you won't achieve your goal, wheras if you don't think and let yourself go, it shall be achieved with ease. I find this helpful in writing, kendo and music.

Piston pens are completely integrated, unlike c/c pens. Therefore, one needs a tool to take them apart.

Because a little bounce or spring is nice, especially when one uses a light touch. Some of us find that it makes the writing experience more pleasant.

There's plastic and then there's plastic and not all of it is alike by any means. We have chemists here that can tell you the details. All I can tell you is that the TWSBI feels different from the Safari.

Stainless steel can be heavy; I can't tell you about manufacturing costs for it, but others here can and there are pens made from it. Wood can be soft and porous, easily gouged or stained, although there are some lovely pens made with wood overlays.

As for a section which is easy to grip and not smooth metal, we're back to one of those plastics again, which is the material used for the Diamond 530 section.

I came here for the pictures and stayed for the conversation.

Definitely different plastic. TWSBI is polycarbonate which is known for it's shatter resistance and use in "bullet proof glass", safety glasses/safety shields/goggles. The Safari is ABS Plastic which is touch in its own right but not as strong as polycarb.

Stainless steel comes in deferent grades, so you would have to define what grade of stainless to determine how tough the stuff will be. Granted, in a pen, you could get away with a cheaper grade. :roflmho:

• 3 weeks later...

I received my TWSBI 530 (medium nib) just two hours ago. Carefully ubwrapping the nicely done packaging, I took the pen out. Immediately my first reaction was, wow it is a large pen.

I had done so much reading about this pen on FPN while waiting for the pen to arrive, that I had no problem in taking off the nib section, wash it and the barrel in a mild soapy solution and then did a thorough rinsing with water. The fill piston worked flawlessly. I had also purchased a bottle of Baystate Blue from Goulets at the same time. It was my first fill of the new pen with the brand new ink I had heard so much about. The pen was so smooth and writing so brilliant. I love the flow and the smooth nib and the glorious color of Baystate, and would strongly recommend to all of you who are sitting on the fence.

Well, the whole idea of demonstrator pens seems to inspire a sense of curiosity in me. First of all, it answers the question of, "How much ink do I have left?" and, secondly, it sort of answers the question, "How does the pen DO that?"

A wood pen sounds interesting to me but it would be on my wish list after a demonstrator.

Just MHO....

I am holding off my TWSBI purchase until Speedy gets the Bock nibs ... already been waiting 5 months so not sure if or when thats going to take place but the feedback on the current nibs has been all over the place so I'd rather wait until the Bocks are in.

The 7xx series vacuum plunger would probably outshine the Pilot Custom 823 (assuming it will come with Bock nib).