I Prefer Pencils

Highbinder

U R Sick and need help....

Just Kidding but I really do have a hard time reaching for a pencil anymore. Even do crosswords and sudoku with a pen now a days.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• XiaoMG

• dapv

• Joane

• LuckyDog10

I'm finding myself using mechanical pencils more and more these days.

It would appear I have a thing for Zebra MPs in particular :rolleyes:

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a154/bgclarke/Writing/PA310100C.jpg

In addition to these (a pair of M-301s, a pair of M-402s, and six M-701s) I also have a really old Pentel PD345 that has a solid black body and not the transparent body of the 90s PD345.

Also have an Inoxcrom MP that was given to me as a present by my late Grandmother back in the mid-80s.

Looking to pick up a Parker Jotter Stainless Steel MP as well.

In Ottawa, Ontario? Check out The Ottawa Pen Posse

Yep, have used pencils for many, many years. Great for laying out work -- have a 4H lead in a 2mm clutch holder that can plan a wedding invitation all by itself.

Think of the Bauhaus philosophy -- form follows function. Just as I will chase a nib when looking for a fountain pen, so I will carefully select a pencil for hardness, darkness, etc. against intended use.

Enjoy,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

I like mechanical pencils too. In fact, they get used much more than my FP since I'm regularly sketching graphs, jotting down quick notes, trying out a few equations and such like, all of which can be erased if needed.

Plus, they are much cheaper than FPs so it is easier to justify buying a new one :).

• 2 weeks later...

Happy to use a wooden pencil any time, though some erasers are absolutely useless (and eraser-less pencils are just weird). On the other hand, I can't stand mechanical pencils...a combination of the feeling and the sound just get to me real bad. Like nails on a chalkboard or something along those lines. Even thinking about it makes me a little uneasy.

I'm not about to say I prefer pencils, but being an engineer I do have to use them a lot. I have used Pentels for years and frankly I'm tired of them, they're boring. I bought a Lamy mp a few months ago, meh, it's OK, nothing special. I was in in Rome a couple of weeks ago on business and went into a pen shop. I found a Faber Castell MP made out of pear wood there and bought it. It was about 15 euros. Absolutely wonderful, I love it. (for a pencil, that is...) ;)

Do you like Thrillers? Read The El Morro Connection. You can find it on Amazon.com or Barnes & Noble.com in the ebook section. Soon it'll be available in hardcopy. It's written by C. Clayton Lewis. And that would be me. Let me warn you, don't start reading it the night before you have to get up early...

I tend to use the Staedtler Mars 2mm Clutch pencils constantly, especially for field work. I also have a couple of others floating around. They last forever and write in the rain :D

Ah... I couldn't really compare them. I guess if you look at the mechanics of the delivery rather than the medium. I see fountain pens more related to watercolors than charcoal/graphite.

If I was forced to pick, I'd probably take pencils over fountain pens though, assuming I can still use the ink with brush and dip.

http://www.mannyusa.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/PAP30301.jpg

As a musician, I found this pencil the best. Of course, marking music in pen is verboten. You need to have a pencil. But ordinary wood pencils stink b/c you can't be bothered in rehearsal to sharpen a new one. And most mechanicals stink b/c you end up clicking endlessly waiting for a new lead to come out.

These have just one lead. When you twist it's either there or not. Pick up the next pencil if its not.

This is the exact opposite mentality of a fountain pen, eh?

Edited by Wjones7412

If outside or on the move I'd prefer a ball point over a mechanical pencil or even a fountain pen. This is because I dont fear damaging the nib. Pencils are good for scribbling thoughts though

My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery, Homer & Kipling. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.

I love pencils as well. My primary mechanical pencil is a Pentel Sharp Kerry 0.5mm. For woodcase, I like California Republic Palomino/Forest Choice (they are very dark writers).

A high quality eraser is nice as well. I like the Pentel Hi-Polymer.

Soli Deo Gloria!

Void your warranty, violate a user agreement, fry a circuit, blow a fuse, poke an eye out!

I like to draw in pencil and use the Staedtler yellow and black striped ones pictured further up the page.

I like the smoothness, and they have a nostalgic quality as we were given them at infant school when learning to write.

Nowadays, writing has to be pen though.

"I love mankind- it's people I can't stand." Charles M. Shulz

I feel the want to point out that if anyone is considering the Kuru Toga it's not particularly good for traditional pencil drawing. It's a good writer, though

Well, a half truth anyway.

I prefer pencils for writing when I'm outside. My pens tend to stay at home. And I derive a similiar cathartic enjoyment from scribbling with a pencil as I do with my fountain pens.

Anyone else agree with me here?

I love pencils too, for making notes in books that may need to be erased again, as Wjones said also for notes in sheet music. But I like them most for sketching, Derwent is my preferred brand. To me, they complement fountain pens, neither can do the other's job properly. They happily co-exist.

• 1 month later...

Maybe I was dreaming, or maybe some of you might remember this. Once upon time I remember having a Cross MP that would advance the lead as I was writing so that I did not have to stop writing to advance the lead. Does anyone remember this Cross MP? Does any other manufacturer make a MP like this? Thanks.

CFTPM

I have never liked pencils, for several reasons. The biggest is that they don't stay sharp, i.e., results are way too variable. I don't like the color of ordinary pencil lead (grey - nor do I like less-saturated inks), either. If I have to use a pencil, I prefer a mechanical pencil, but hate when the leads break. There, I said it...;)

Debbie

Well, a half truth anyway.

I prefer pencils for writing when I'm outside. My pens tend to stay at home. And I derive a similiar cathartic enjoyment from scribbling with a pencil as I do with my fountain pens.

Anyone else agree with me here?

I draw with pencils but always, ALWAYS write with pen.

my linear algebra professor had to give me an exemption to use pen on his exams, for some reason I just cant have a clean page written with pencil. smears everywhere, including my hands =/