Grey-green Ink

beak

After rereading the OP, I need to say that Diamine Umber won't fit the bill because it probably has too much green in there.

Ziggy - I didn't know the OP was only asking for inks that don't feather on cheap paper.

Inked:

Pelikan m205 black 0.9ci/F Italifine (Diamine Damson);

Aurora 88 nikargenta (Iroshizuku Kon-Peki);

Pelikan 140 Steno (J Herbin Lie de Thé)

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gillyohan

• Ziggy

• Scriptorium Pens

• beak

After rereading the OP, I need to say that Diamine Umber won't fit the bill because it probably has too much green in there.

Ziggy - I didn't know the OP was only asking for inks that don't feather on cheap paper.

Probably the OP wasn't asking, but just trying to help by highlighting a limitation. Umber is/was my favourite ink but I can't use it at work due to the cheap paper that we now buy.

Another I have is verdigris(?), from R&K but to my mind a bit 'thin' and too 'dirty' a colour for me.

to me, Diamine Umber is grey-green. But it is a grey-green that leans blue, reminiscent of spanish moss. Not yellowish, like some of the other grey-greens.

+1

It is a "cool" green with a little grey.

thanks - my head was not capable of coming up with the term "cool" but that nails it.

I love it.

I'm playing with Diamine Graphite plus Diamine Emerald at the moment. working on something resembling MBRG which would also fit the grey-green description but is warmer.

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Well, there's always that bad batch of Sheaffer blue, from a few years ago. Although that's more of a gray-cyan. Ghastly shade, actually. Quite noisome. :sick:

--

James H. H. Lampert

Professional Dilettante

Posted Image was once a bottle of ink

Inky, Dinky, Thinky, Inky,

Blacky minky, Bottle of ink! -- Edward Lear

Probably the OP wasn't asking, but just trying to help by highlighting a limitation. Umber is/was my favourite ink but I can't use it at work due to the cheap paper that we now buy.

Another I have is verdigris(?), from R&K but to my mind a bit 'thin' and too 'dirty' a colour for me.

Hope you don't feel like I was gettin touchy. I thought I may have missed something.

Personally, I don't care for Umber that much because of how cool it is. I have it though. Hah.

Inked:

to me, Diamine Umber is grey-green. But it is a grey-green that leans blue, reminiscent of spanish moss. Not yellowish, like some of the other grey-greens.

+1

It is a "cool" green with a little grey.

thanks - my head was not capable of coming up with the term "cool" but that nails it.

I love it.

I'm playing with Diamine Graphite plus Diamine Emerald at the moment. working on something resembling MBRG which would also fit the grey-green description but is warmer.

I prefer the warmer emerald to umber. Have you tried working with diamine evergreen?

Inked:

I thought I'd add De Atramentis Pine Green to the mix, and a little colour to the discussion.

Verdegris and Squeteague have never struck me as grey greens, but blue greens, and I see Verde Muschiato as an olive tending toward brown, not grey. But, as always, YMMV. The scan looks accurate on my screen.

Any of the others are contenders, IMHO.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d49/seouldrifting/GreyGreenEx.jpg

Ryan.

Is it me or that Diamine Evergreen and Mont Blanc British Racing Green look very similar, almost the same?

Check out Noodler Zhivago. If it's not green enough, add a drop or two of Noodler Hunter Green. A very water-resistant mix.

I thought I'd add De Atramentis Pine Green to the mix, and a little colour to the discussion.

Verdegris and Squeteague have never struck me as grey greens, but blue greens, and I see Verde Muschiato as an olive tending toward brown, not grey. But, as always, YMMV. The scan looks accurate on my screen.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d49/seouldrifting/GreyGreenEx.jpg

Ryan.

Zhivago is a great green, and I would say dilute it with water (I really don't know how much) if you want a more grey than black-green.

That MB British Racing Green is beautiful (in that old rusty sort of way! :roflmho:). :puddle:

Gobblecup ~

Ryan.

Excellent comparison pic. Thanks.

Sincerely, beak.

God does not work in mysterious ways – he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.

I have to try the Diamine Evergreen as a substitute for the Lexington Grey which is too light and faint and a strain to read the notes written with this ink.

I haven't seen Noodler's "El Lawrence" mentioned. I happened to be using it this morning when I saw your question.

Seconded!

El'Lawrence is a great ink, if you can find a pen that likes it - it can be a bit dry in some pens, I find.

But it's a lovely, sludgy grey-green with a touch of brown.

You can also dilute it quite a bit, which improves the flow and makes different elements of the colour come out to play a little bit more.

Hope you don't feel like I was gettin touchy. I thought I may have missed something.

Personally, I don't care for Umber that much because of how cool it is. I have it though. Hah.

No worries.

Funny this board, I have not inked up a pen with Verdigris for a couple of years because I did not get on with it - or so I thought. Anyway today I inked up my Fermo with some and I thought this is good. :P

Anyway back on topic what about Pilot Iroshizuku Syo-Ro, expensive but then how long do bottles last, esp if you have a few! These inks look good and one of them will be my next bottle. ;)

I haven't seen Noodler's "El Lawrence" mentioned. I happened to be using it this morning when I saw your question.

---------

that's the first one that popped into my head when I began the thread. I collect grey inks and so this is a

brother in law to the members...

No personal experience with it, but from the scans Noodler's [standard] Green has a pure but subdued green look to it. Anyone with it care to comment?

• 2 months later...

Thanks to all for the suggestions and examples - great responses. I've settled on Diamine Graphite - exactly the colour I was looking for! Now to find the same thing bullet-proof! :hmm1:

Sincerely, beak.

God does not work in mysterious ways – he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.

I'd say Pasternak but in my pens it's more of a true green Very pretty with some good shading but nothing like the image in the reviews posted here. at least in my pens.

Knoxville TN & Palm Coast FL