Diamine Oxblood

carpedavid

Having tried the Oxblood at last, it's a truly lovely colour with great depth and intrigue - the more you use it, the more it reveals. A definite favourite.

To my eye (and with my monitor) it's a bit less brown and more reddy than the review scan.

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Northwoods

• GreenVelvet

• carpedavid

• Fuddlestack

This Oxblood looks like my self mixed Parker Quink Red-Black. Nice ink.

Thanks so much for the review! It may have swayed my next purchase.

I sampled PR Burgundy Mist recently and I like it, but the more I write with it, the more I think it's too purple for me. (My purple fix is satisfied by PR Tanzanite.) I have decided what I want is a good "writing red," something I can use to write a page or more without having to squint to read it.

Looks like Oxblood might just fit the bill. And I already love Diamine inks, so it works out well! :thumbup:

Thanks again...

"The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity." - Dorothy Parker (attributed)

The only red ink I have at the moment is Visconti Burgundy red, which apart from being red, to me doesn't resemble burgindy at all. Nonetheless i'll never be without a bottle - it's rapidly become one of my favourites.

That being said, this post has tempted me to think that only one red may be too few. And besides, there it a lot of old schoolbooks on display in the Pen Room museum in Birmingham dating from the inter war priod. In most cases the iron gall inks used in schools in this period age to this kind of colour and I've been looking for an ink like this for some time.

So the wallet may be about to become just a little bit lighter.

But then again, if anyone ever asks me to sign in blood ...;)

Chris B.

Edited by Ipno Tizer

Very nice review! I wonder how this would compare to the now discontinued Sailor Red-Brown. Has anyone compared these two? I'll add my name to those who've tried Diamine Syrah and were disappointed. The original mix suggested by Richard Binder on FPN (one half Sheaffer red and one half Waterman purple) to my eyes is a deeper, more pleasing, and truer burgundy.

The only red ink I have at the moment is Visconti Burgundy red, which apart from being red, to me doesn't resemble burgindy at all. Nonetheless i'll never be without a bottle - it's rapidly become one of my favourites.

That being said, this post has tempted me to think that only one red may be too few. And besides, there it a lot of old schoolbooks on display in the Pen Room museum in Birmingham dating from the inter war priod. In most cases the iron gall inks used in schools in this period age to this kind of colour and I've been looking for an ink like this for some time.

So the wallet may be about to become just a little bit lighter.

But then again, if anyone ever asks me to sign in blood ...;)

Chris B.

Chris, you need to get some Oxblood! My favourite red used to be Visconti Burgundy too, but Oxblood is just so much richer ... and if you're looking for a colour that looks a bit aged, nothing could be finer.

Very nice review! I wonder how this would compare to the now discontinued Sailor Red-Brown. Has anyone compared these two?

I'll try to in a while .... from memory my bottle of Sailor Red was disappointingly brown, Oxblood is a much nicer colour.

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

Oxblood gives you that rich, recently bled look on the page. It's why I use it at work.

And then, when you want the more aged blood look, like something years old, switch to rustic brown.

This color is gorgeous - !

Could someone recommend a retailer for this Diamine ink? There are no "pen shops" in my neck of the woods...

Thank you.

Goulet Pens @ DavidHandmade.
http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png When one is too old for love, one finds great comfort in good dinners. Zora Neale Hurston

Ooooh! That's a fantastic colour and I shall use it to conduct my business affairs because I do exchange souls for limitless power :rolleyes:

Yuki

http://i54.tinypic.com/16jj9fb.jpg

Follow me on twitter! @crypticjunky

~And the words, they're everything and nothing. I want to search for her in the offhand remarks.~

Just got mine in from Goulet today -- love it! ... Wonder why I'm craving a rare steak now.... :puddle:

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hope L, hopeless nib nerd

Neglected blog: www.louisquill.com

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4iGeCcpI/AAAAAAAAA2A/xh2FRE0B8p0/s320/InkDropLogoFPN3.jpg

Goulet Pens @ DavidHandmade.

Nice!

Thank you!

I'm happy to help you out!

Yeah, this one's a keeper. A little bit darker than Syrah, and it's quite appropriately named.

Brian Goulet</br><a href='http://www.gouletpens.com' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>www.GouletPens.com</a></br><a href='http://twitter.com/GouletPens' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>GouletPens on Twitter</a></br><a href='http://blog.gouletpens.com' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Goulet Pens blog</a>

A bit OT, but I notice Terre De Feu in the comparisons. How do you like that ink, carpedavid?

Ryan.

It's a recent acquisition, so I haven't had a chance to use it much yet. So far, it seems well behaved, and it's an interesting color. If Cafe des Isles is reminiscent of the color of coffee, then Terre De Feu reminds me of a cup of cocoa.

seize the dave - a little bit about a lot of stuff: ink reviews, poetry, short fiction, and more
my ink reviews

I'm less worried about water resistence and more worried about staining in my high end pens. High saturation means I need to avoid might light colored pens with this one. But the color is so interesting I suspect I'll grab a bottle for the solid silver babies. :thumbup:

I'm less worried about water resistence and more worried about staining in my high end pens. High saturation means I need to avoid might light colored pens with this one. But the color is so interesting I suspect I'll grab a bottle for the solid silver babies. :thumbup:

I haven't noticed any staining with this ink, and I've had it loaded in a plumix (clear body) since it was first available. Caution is good, you don't want to ruin a pen, but it's a very well behaved ink like all Diamine I've tried.

Thanks for the awesome review! Thanks to you, I added a bottle to my cart. :) I love how in depth your reviews are, and the drawings that you add are a nice touch.

Your script is amazing. Absolutely beautiful. Quite unlike mine!

Advertising your amazing blog in your signature can be an eyesore, unless done tastefully.

So can you, kind sir, make time in your schedule to visit my website? It is perfectly acceptable to miss out on such a great opportunity, but even the slightest glance at my url would be fantastic. http://greenlineblogs.blogspot.com/

Hello.

The very thorough review and excellent scan motivated me to order a bottle (Goulet Pens - excellent service, BTW).

I am very impressed with the deep, rich color - very true to its name; and I'd say that, in person, the color is very close to the scans on the first page of this thread. I do not own any other Diamine inks, and this experience has piqued my interest in their ink line; perhaps I'll look at their Blues and Greens...

I'd also like to compare the Oxblood with Noodlers Red/Black & look for any subtleties between the two.

I'll post my comments afterwards.

[And I agree with Greensam: The script is realy cool, and the sketch adds a whimsical touch to the review; a very talented individual(!)]

Edited by DavidHandmade

Got one on the way as well, along with another half-doz of Diamine's 30cc vials. Now I need half a doz demonstrators...

When you're good at it, it's really miserable.