Retro 51 Double 8

wildblueink

I recently acquired a barely used blue Retro 51 Double 8 for a screaming deal (less than half list price) and I am so impressed with this pen, I thought I should share some comments and pics. (Disclaimer: my pics are nothing like Kevin's so if the pen doesn't look as good as I claim, blame the camera and camera user ;) )

First pic:

http://home.comcast.net/~wildblueink/double8.jpg

I love blue pens, and most especially blue pens with silver trim. The material on this less-than $100 pen is so rich, you'd think it was a $300 pen. It has a jewel-like quality and depth that is particularly striking. The barrel and cap are faceted, which adds to the look and feel of quality. It's just so darn pretty! And that's about as concrete as I can get, folks.

Here's the nib:

http://home.comcast.net/~wildblueink/double8nib.jpg

The nib is a fine and it truly is fine (no writing samples from me--my handwriting sucks), which is how I like my pens to write. It's a steel nib, and it writes just as well if not better than any Omas or Visconti I've tried. I'd equate it to a Japanese (Namiki, Sailor) nib.

The pen is a cartridge/converter fill. I have had no problems with flow, hard starting, or anything related to writing with it. I love writing with it.

The only negative I can say about this particular pen is that it seems the threads aren't perfectly machined--sometimes when I try to put the cap on, I have to try again to get things lined up right. I feel like if I was careless, I might strip some threads.

Bottom line: A gorgeous, nice-writing, and dependable pen. A real bargain, even at the regular discount pricing.

Additional info: I should note that this pen also comes in an earth-tone version and a limited edition green with gold trim (which FPH sells for the same price as the regular edition

Elizabeth

Edited by wildblueink
When there's nothing to lose and nothing to win

Ain't nothing like a brand new fountain pen

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wimg

• KCat

• wildblueink

• winedoc

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Denis Richard

Thank you for the review Elizabeth. I've been looking at the Retro 51 pens lately, and this helps a lot.

I like your background. It is fabric, right ? Which makes me think that you must have made some wraps out of it. It seems like a great pattern for that use !

Denis.

Thank you for the review Elizabeth. I've been looking at the Retro 51 pens lately, and this helps a lot.

I like your background. It is fabric, right ? Which makes me think that you must have made some wraps out of it. It seems like a great pattern for that use !

Denis.

Dennis, I hope my review helps you decide on a Retro 51. I also have a "Cioppino" and am equally impressed with it. For about 1/3 what you can pay for other mother-of-pearl encrusted pens, you can have a beautiful one from Retro. I'm really impressed with this brand.

I just picked up a new batch of different colored alphabet fabrics yesterday--the owner of the local quilters shop is always on the lookout for designs that I might like. So while I haven't made the wraps yet, I've got a variety of colors with cursive alphabet writing. Stay tuned...

Elizabeth (who should be working on an article for a professional journal, but discovered the subscribe option and a new way to be distracted! ;) )

When there's nothing to lose and nothing to win

Ain't nothing like a brand new fountain pen

Hi Elixabeth,

Thank you for the review (or maybe not, as I have spent way more on pens this year than my entire pen budget already).

I saw the review in Stylophiles as well, but I must say, this blue one looks even better!

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

I better leave this thread quickly now :D

Kind regards,

Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

I should have known.... It's blue of course :lol: :lol: . Nice review and nice pics. And you are right, at that price I should give it a try... especially when you say the nib is smooth.

Kev

To Cross The Rubicon

Internet Pens

Hi KCat,

That is a beauty. I don't have enough blue pens.

You're into blue pens? Since when <GDR>

Kind regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Ok, you've got one now... Should be enough for at least a week, no? A day? An hour??? :lol:

WtMD

the Mad Dutchman

Guest Denis Richard

The things we say... but I'd try to remember that next time I announce to my better half that I ordered another pen. "It's not that I don't have enough pens, beauty, it's just that I don't have enough <colour> pens". I'm sure it will be much better :D

Denis... who does call his wife "beauty", and she does not like it when we are in public... she says it's not "humble" enough... but wait for the day I stop, I'm sure I'll have some kind of remark.... :lol:

Edited by Denis Richard

awwwwwwwww....

Hubby calls me "Beautiful" and I call him "Stud" - i didn't know his secretary would be checking his phone mail at some point and she thought it was "so cute". ugh!

Wim: I plan on taking some pics and giving my "review" on the new blue in the pen box. soon, i swear!

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Hi KCat,

no swearing please, this is a public, polite family forum! :lol:

Warm regards,

WtMD

the Mad Dutchman

Very timely review, Elizabeth; the Retro 51 Double Eight is at/near the top of my "To Buy" list of modern pens!

Thanks for reviewing it for us...and your pictures turned out nicely; don't sell yourself short :)

Last week, I got a Retro 1951 Double 88 in the green (limited edition 0245/1951 if that matters) from the Ink Spot (who were just awesome, by the way!) and it is one of the most attractive pens I have ever seen. The resin is far more 3 dimensional then in pictures I have seen with several swirling layers of translucent and opaque greens that I could look at for hours. The funnything is I got it at the same time as the ginger scriptmaster (also retro 1951) which I had been looking for for a couple of months (discontinued color) and I all but forgot to open the Scriptmaster box upon seeing the Double 88. I have bought a fair number of Retro 1951 fountain pens recently: 3 tornados, 3 scriptmasters, and the Double 88( plus about 10 of their rollerballs), and all have been just great writing pens. They seem to come with 2 different nibs, and I prefer one to the other, but both are pretty good. The thing that impresses me is that all of them are really well made, write well, and are relative inexpensive for the pen you get. I am surprised that they don't get more press/ comment/ attention then they do. They seem to come up with new designs/colors/styles on a regular basis and their designers seem to really try to make pens that pen people would love. Kudos to Retro 1951 !!

Kj

their Motto: "Because life is too short to carry an ugly pen."

and the people said,"AMEN!"

Aunty Entity: Remember where you are - this is Thunderdome, and death is listening, and will take the first man that screams.

Hi Kjervin,

Congratulations on your new pens too!

I just realised that I forgot to add a couple of Retros (a blue and a green double 88) to my long shortlist of pens to buy, so I am doing it now :bonk: . Thanks for reminding me, although my wallet is getting less happy by the minute :lol: .

Kind regards,

Wim

the Mad Dutchman

What a timely review. Thanks! I have had my eyes on the 88 too, especially the green one, but the navy and brown ones look great too!