Review: Noodler's piston-filler

jpeck

I just got mine yesterday, inked it with Bad Blue Heron and took it to work today! I realize that pens have very little "break in" but this one seemed to, this morning it was dry and skippy, to the point I had to use my jotter to finish up some work, by this afternoon it was more the pen I had expected, smooth and wet, showing some nice shading on the ink (I love the color BTW) I did "mod" the pen already.. I blocked the vent hole. The air is soooo dry here in the desert that if I don't the pens dry up quickly...

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif
http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/5/50/Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lloyd

• 79spitfire

• Jimmy James

• Truppi327

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I blocked the vent hole. The air is soooo dry here in the desert that if I don't the pens dry up quickly...

Isn't there an inner cap?

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Hi Lloyd

I have smoothed a few nibs before and after deciding I did not want to monkey around sending the pen back-------I doubt the seller is making much per pen and I did not want them to have to do a return------- I decided to smooth the nib myself. The tines are aligned and I did the usual stuff with very fine grade micromesh. There is really no improvement.

Under the loupe, the tipping material on one of the tines has a line through it. The other tine's tipping material does not have that line. I think it is just a flaw that does not go away with smoothing. I can smooth it all I want but the line is still there, not really a crack in the material but a visible "line". Hard to describe but apparently deep enough to be a problem. I guess at this point I will just smooth it out until I either get through the line or totally wreck the nib.

I can not imagine why replacement nibs are not available. Maybe I am wrong, but I would imagine a small nib like this one is pretty cheap to make?

The smallest old nib I have is a Sheaffer #5. If anyone knows another nib that would fit and be easy and cheap to find, let me know.

j

Edited by John Cullen

I blocked the vent hole. The air is soooo dry here in the desert that if I don't the pens dry up quickly...

Isn't there an inner cap?

No there isn't. Should there be one?

Edit: Just tried this pen again this morning and it's dried out already. It worked before I went to bed. So in less than 10 hours it dries up with the cap securely installed. Not good. If it is supposed to have an inner cap, this would explain it.

Edited by 79spitfire

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif

Thanks for the review! I'm already a Noodler's junkie so I might just add this to the (long) list of things I want to buy next.

Give up my fountain pen? You'll have to pry it from my cold, dead, inkstained, hands!

spitfire: Most pens have 'em so I assumed, perhaps erroneously, that pen did. I don't own that one so I can't say if it has one or not.

Oscar Wilde

thanks for sharing. i had no idea Noodler's ink now produces fountain pens. let's hope they do so more in the future with better design.

-rudy-

-rudy-

received mine today with some private reserve. i have been writing with it all afternoon and it has been a joy. lays down ink consistently, not butter smooth but no snags or "toothiness" to it. it is a very light pen, kind of a cheapy plastic feel, but by not means cheap in quality of construction. filled with no mechanical issues, no difficulties getting it start. definitely a thumbs up for me!!!

"Hell Verde Conquered."- Percival Harrison Fawcett

I need to try mine with different ink. It dries up in 40 min to an hour (!) with Bad Blue Heron. You would think that Noodler's ink pen would like Noodler's ink :bonk:

An well made Piston Filler for this price is a nice deal!!! :thumbup:

If I purchase one, I'll grind to make a stub nib, which is probably more fun than the original nib.

Fabricio

I need to try mine with different ink. It dries up in 40 min to an hour (!) with Bad Blue Heron. You would think that Noodler's ink pen would like Noodler's ink :bonk:

Bad Blue Heron is a quite saturated ink IMHO. Why don't you try to add some distilled water? Maybe will work better.

no issues starting up after sitting for the evening. a good flush and different ink may help your drying-out situation. i have only used private reserve in mine, so that's all i can suggest :)

"Hell Verde Conquered."- Percival Harrison Fawcett

Ok probably a stupid question, but I've been drooling over the Noodler's demonstrator for days now. Can anyone tell me where I might be able to find one?

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Ok probably a stupid question, but I've been drooling over the Noodler's demonstrator for days now. Can anyone tell me where I might be able to find one?

Look at the Dollar 717i pens that FPN member smedon sells. I have both and the differences are very superficial (different clip, nib marking, and cap logo).

edited to add link.

Edited by Lloyd

Oscar Wilde

Bad Blue Heron is a quite saturated ink IMHO. Why don't you try to add some distilled water? Maybe will work better.

no issues starting up after sitting for the evening. a good flush and different ink may help your drying-out situation. i have only used private reserve in mine, so that's all i can suggest :)

Thanks for the suggestions, I tried it with plain 'ol Noodler's Blue-Black, and now no issues, nice wet writer. I'm going to try the Bad Blue Heron in a Pilot with a bit of distilled water until it behaves...

Not a stupid question +1 on the Dollar 717i demos, they are a great pen for the money, just don't drop it.. The Noodler's demo is the same pen with a different clip (at least that's how it appears to me!)

• 4 weeks later...

The design of the pen is pretty nice. It's a mid-sized slim design.

Conclusion:

You'll get a $12 dollar pen with a functional piston-filler, a screw-on cap, and decent stainless steel nib. The pen has a "vintage" feel even though it's brand-new. Pretty good job for the first try from Noodler's.

Did your pen have a strong smell---so strong it has not aired out in a week? :sick:

I was really looking forward to this pen, but the smell more than the 'cheap' finish has put me off.

It's been now more than 3 months, and the smell is still there, but not as strong as before.

I can't barely notice it during regular use. But if I put it under my nose, it's still there.

After reading this and other reviews, the results seem to be mixed? Any updates on the smell? Has the quality control improved? Would you rather have this or a Wality? Or other option?

• 3 weeks later...

I bought this pen specifically for use with Noodler's Baystate Blue ink, figuring that if was stained to otherwise destroyed it was a cheap pen. And that's exactly what it is: a cheap pen. Not simply inexpensive, everything about this pen screams "Cheap!" The weight, or lack thereof, the odd odor of the plastic, the clip that spins around the barrel like a carnival ride, this pen is cheaper than even the low price indicates. It doesn't even feel as solid as a disposable Pilot Varsity.

If you want something that you don't care about losing or breaking, the pen writes well enough, and for difficult inks like the Baystate series, it's probably good enough. Set your expectations any higher than the floor and you may be disappointed...

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the suggestions, I tried it with plain 'ol Noodler's Blue-Black, and now no issues, nice wet writer. I'm going to try the Bad Blue Heron in a Pilot with a bit of distilled water until it behaves...

Having the same issues with the pen and Bad Belted Kingfisher but in NYC where the humidity is pretty high. It's seems to be drying out in a few hours and takes about 30-60 seconds of writing to start back up completely. I will try adding distilled water. Is my only other option to try another ink?

Also, can someone tell me the purpose of the vent hole? Seems pretty dumb to me if all it does is cause the pen to dry out much quicker...

Not a stupid question +1 on the Dollar 717i demos, they are a great pen for the money, just don't drop it.. The Noodler's demo is the same pen with a different clip (at least that's how it appears to me!)

:o What happens if you drop it? I ordered one and it got shipped yesterday, so I would like to know any shortcomings and weak points of the pen before it goes into daily use and I accidentally do something stupid >_<

Edited by phr4nkr4wk5

The above shall not be construed as legal advice under any circumstances