Prototype Goulet Writing Boxes

GouletPens

I can't wait to see how this project evolves!!! :puddle: I, too, am in a wheelchair and handles would be fantastic! This sort of writing desk is something that I absolutely need as I can't sit up straight for very long at all, this would be so much easier. I could use it in my bed, or the couch! The pictures look fantastic, by the way! :thumbup:

~Kerrilynnhttp://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Network C.A.R.E.S.

"Everything in life has been figured out; except how to live." ~Jean-Paul Sartre

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GouletPens

• txinsk

• pen2paper

• NotPiffany

So how interested is everyone in the embellishments of these boxes? It seems that the evolution of the antiques were such that form and function were developed first, and ornate designs didn't come around for several hundred years after the boxes had become popular. There were of course other factors like the fact that a reliable postal service came about and people didn't have as much need to travel to do business......the boxes became fancier and more desk-worthy. How much time should I spend on embellishments? Honestly, I'm eager just to get a working box, because I need one to contain all of my writing supplies.....

Another question.....I don't currently have a writing box or know how they actually function in use....for anyone out there who has one, there is usually a baize or leather padding on the writing surface, which is typically in two parts, designed to fold in half. How do the two parts fold on each other, by the integrity of the padding surface or are there hinges to keep to two parts together? This is one thing I'm having a bit of a time wrapping my head around. :hmm1:

Brian Goulet</br><a href='http://www.gouletpens.com' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>www.GouletPens.com</a></br><a href='http://twitter.com/GouletPens' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>GouletPens on Twitter</a></br><a href='http://blog.gouletpens.com' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Goulet Pens blog</a>

So how interested is everyone in the embellishments of these boxes? It seems that the evolution of the antiques were such that form and function were developed first, and ornate designs didn't come around for several hundred years after the boxes had become popular. There were of course other factors like the fact that a reliable postal service came about and people didn't have as much need to travel to do business......the boxes became fancier and more desk-worthy. How much time should I spend on embellishments? Honestly, I'm eager just to get a working box, because I need one to contain all of my writing supplies.....

Another question.....I don't currently have a writing box or know how they actually function in use....for anyone out there who has one, there is usually a baize or leather padding on the writing surface, which is typically in two parts, designed to fold in half. How do the two parts fold on each other, by the integrity of the padding surface or are there hinges to keep to two parts together? This is one thing I'm having a bit of a time wrapping my head around. :hmm1:

Mine has a baize surface which is in one piece. My Box is the type that splits in half with hinges for the top and bottom to move about. Now the two halves have lids and storage area. The lids on the halves are the writing surface. The baize, being one piece attached to the surfaces and the box edge between them, functions as the hinges for the writing surface to access the area beneath. For the prototypes you are designing when open you would have one piece of baize. When you want to access the paper storage area the upper panel would not have a hinge but the baize connection would be the hinge. I hope that makes sense. And, of course, you need not copy that design, but that is how it would translate.

Rick

Need money for pens, must make good notebooks. :)

Man I've never come across these before but so excited about one. Would be a great way to keep everything tidy and in it's place and a well-defined arena for writing.:)

What a great project! I'll definitely be interested, once these are ready to go. :)

Will the interior tray be divided, so that the ink bottles don't slide about? As for the embellishments, perhaps you could offer two models, one that is purely functional, and one that has pretty accents and such for a premium price. Personally, I think a functional object, made well with clean lines, can be very attractive, but I know many people love the little flourishes and glittery bits. Basic and premium models might be the way to keep everyone happy, and keep sales high. If only one model is possible, then I'd vote for a fairly basic one, since I can't afford much in the way of embellishment. :)

What a great project! I'll definitely be interested, once these are ready to go. :)

Will the interior tray be divided, so that the ink bottles don't slide about? As for the embellishments, perhaps you could offer two models, one that is purely functional, and one that has pretty accents and such for a premium price. Personally, I think a functional object, made well with clean lines, can be very attractive, but I know many people love the little flourishes and glittery bits. Basic and premium models might be the way to keep everyone happy, and keep sales high. If only one model is possible, then I'd vote for a fairly basic one, since I can't afford much in the way of embellishment. :)

Let me lend a hand here, it must be getting long to read the thread. There are no boxes for sale here. This is about a great experiment, an experiment to create a writing box. Any consideration on sales would be a dream at the moment, and usually a dream of the poster not the OP.

Rick

Edit: I cannot spell

Edited by txinsk

Need money for pens, must make good notebooks. :)

I think I'd actually prefer a box with nice, clean lines, but I'm interested in seeing some of your inlay work, as well.

I like the prototype. I think padding the ink part with felt (or something) and letting the user customize it with wooden slats is probably the best way to go. I like the size and angle; it could be useful for artists as well as writers, I think.

--Carmen

Hi, Brian:

I love that you opened this topic. I was thinking about designing a questionnaire you could send out to customers or FPNers about how they write, so you could use that info to design your box. I would code it, of course... But this works too. If you're interested in this idea anyway, send me an email, or PM.

As to the design, inlays, adornments, etc. I have one word for you: SHAKER!!!

(But that's just 'cause I like it ;) )

Regard from Spain,

Isabel

You are not obliged to complete the work, but neither are you free to evade it. Rabbi Tarfon

Hi, Brian:

I love that you opened this topic. I was thinking about designing a questionnaire you could send out to customers or FPNers about how they write, so you could use that info to design your box. I would code it, of course... But this works too. If you're interested in this idea anyway, send me an email, or PM.

(But that's just 'cause I like it ;) )

Regard from Spain,

Isabel

Hey Isabel!!! Good to see you on here! The Shakers definitely knew their stuff when it came to working with wood. Clean lines, sturdy joints....that's not a bad way to go at all. I might be thinking of a different style for Shaker than you are....I'm thinking of the reclusive American religious group (similar to Quakers and Amish) that was famous for plain, simple, yet elegant wood furniture. The Shaker style itself generally implies simplicity, not ornamentation. I don't think I've seen many Shaker writing boxes though....most of the antiques that have inspired me are the Tunbridgeware and Regency style boxes from England and France around the 1800s. These tend to be much more eccentric and elaborate in their designs.

As far as getting feedback, yes, I'd LOVE to have FPN members feedback! After all, it was a thread on here that helped me to discover writing boxes in the first place. It was such an "Ah-HA!" moment for me when I saw them, because I had been thinking 'if only I had some sort of box to organize all of my writing materials', duh! This very thread has helped me tremendously in my designs, and I'd like to take it to the next level. I don't know if a questionnaire is the best way for me to go....it's fairly one-directional and would be difficult for me to manage logistically. I'm certainly open to it though. This forum works great for now, but the only problem is the more posts that are made, the harder it is for anyone new to be up-to-date. I was thinking of doing something on my blog (Ink Nouveau) where I could have some method of comments/interaction for specific design ideas....I don't know. I haven't put my finger on it quite yet what I'd want to do. :hmm1:

One thing I am starting up is a weekly live broadcast at Ustream.com that I'm calling "Ustream Tuesdays at 2:22!", where at 2:22pm Eastern US time I will do a live broadcast from my webcam where you can ask me questions via a chatroom on the site and I answer them real time. Since it's a chatroom, you can chat with each other real time about it too. I can compare different pens, inks, and paper, I can show you around my shop, but most importantly, show you in real time the writing box prototypes, what woods and materials I have on hand, the different tools and techniques I plan to use, etc. I also have some fountain pens I'm prepping right now so I can give a sneak peek there too :thumbup: This is all one BIIIIG experiment for me, so nothing's set in stone here. I just thought it would be really cool and fun to get more real time feedback. The videos also are recorded and saved so you can watch it later on if you happen to be busy at that time. This whole writing box thing is so exciting, because I'm finding that I have an avenue to help pull together a lot of your great ideas and build a really functional box! Thanks to everyone for your input so far, I hope to see you Tuesday! :thumbup:

Brian Goulet</br><a href='http://www.gouletpens.com' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>www.GouletPens.com</a></br><a href='http://twitter.com/GouletPens' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>GouletPens on Twitter</a></br><a href='http://blog.gouletpens.com' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Goulet Pens blog</a>

You said: "The Shakers definitely knew their stuff when it came to working with wood. Clean lines, sturdy joints....that's not a bad way to go at all. I might be thinking of a different style for Shaker than you are....I'm thinking of the reclusive American religious group (similar to Quakers and Amish) that was famous for plain, simple, yet elegant wood furniture. The Shaker style itself generally implies simplicity, not ornamentation. I don't think I've seen many Shaker writing boxes though...."

Me: Yep, this is exactly the style I had in mind. Simplicity of ornamentation, but incredible artisanship in execution. There is a grace and calm in their designs that gives me much peace. I love the idea of a box built with attention to detail, that does its duty to perfection, but that does not distract me from my writing process.

You said: "I don't know if a questionnaire is the best way for me to go....it's fairly one-directional and would be difficult for me to manage logistically. I'm certainly open to it though."

Me: My idea re. the questionnaire was to collect information about how and where people write, so that whatever you make finds a fit in the life and practices of modern letter writers. I would gladly manage the questionnaire. It could be housed in your blog. I will email you about this as soon as I have a clearer idea of what kind of information to collect, and how to best use it for your project.

You said: "One thing I am starting up is a weekly live broadcast at Ustream.com that I'm calling "Ustream Tuesdays at 2:22!", where at 2:22pm Eastern US time I will do a live broadcast from my webcam where you can ask me questions via a chatroom on the site and I answer them real time."

Me: Excellent!!! I'll bring my computer to work and join the fray! (2:22 pm EDT is 8:22 pm for me).

See you tomorrow.

Isabel

(Bleh, I forgot to use multiquote)

You are not obliged to complete the work, but neither are you free to evade it. Rabbi Tarfon

Isabel, what a generous offer! I'd love to work with you.....there's no question that the most important thing I do is get input from others....I wouldn't be anything right now if I didn't listen to my customers and experts like the FPN members here. ANYTHING that I can do to improve the way I collect input from the wonderful people here, I'm in! Let's do it!

So I'm thinking about how to design the ink bottle tray...and I realized I don't have a great diversity of ink bottles on hand. As much as I'd LOVE to just buy one of every bottle type, I just don't have the funds. Does anyone have any empty ink bottles from various brands that I might be able to use to design the storage in my box? I posted a thread in Inky Thoughts about it too: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/150656-im-looking-for-empty-ink-bottles/

Thanks! :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

Another question.....I don't currently have a writing box or know how they actually function in use....for anyone out there who has one, there is usually a baize or leather padding on the writing surface, which is typically in two parts, designed to fold in half. How do the two parts fold on each other, by the integrity of the padding surface or are there hinges to keep to two parts together? This is one thing I'm having a bit of a time wrapping my head around. hmm1.gif

Mine has a baize surface which is in one piece. My Box is the type that splits in half with hinges for the top and bottom to move about. Now the two halves have lids and storage area. The lids on the halves are the writing surface. The baize, being one piece attached to the surfaces and the box edge between them, functions as the hinges for the writing surface to access the area beneath. For the prototypes you are designing when open you would have one piece of baize. When you want to access the paper storage area the upper panel would not have a hinge but the baize connection would be the hinge. I hope that makes sense. And, of course, you need not copy that design, but that is how it would translate.

Rick

The writing box that I examained and photographed 18 months ago in Australia had a thin leather hinge that was continuous with the two writing services, although the bottom flap was also made of light timber and supported by three small hinges.

Bluestar

Hi, Brian:

(But that's just 'cause I like it wink.gif )

Regard from Spain,

Isabel

Hey Isabel!!! Good to see you on here! The Shakers definitely knew their stuff when it came to working with wood. Clean lines, sturdy joints....that's not a bad way to go at all. I might be thinking of a different style for Shaker than you are....I'm thinking of the reclusive American religious group (similar to Quakers and Amish) that was famous for plain, simple, yet elegant wood furniture. The Shaker style itself generally implies simplicity, not ornamentation. I don't think I've seen many Shaker writing boxes though....most of the antiques that have inspired me are the Tunbridgeware and Regency style boxes from England and France around the 1800s. These tend to be much more eccentric and elaborate in their designs.

As far as getting feedback, yes, I'd LOVE to have FPN members feedback! After all, it was a thread on here that helped me to discover writing boxes in the first place. It was such an "Ah-HA!" moment for me when I saw them, because I had been thinking 'if only I had some sort of box to organize all of my writing materials', duh! This very thread has helped me tremendously in my designs, and I'd like to take it to the next level. I don't know if a questionnaire is the best way for me to go....it's fairly one-directional and would be difficult for me to manage logistically. I'm certainly open to it though. This forum works great for now, but the only problem is the more posts that are made, the harder it is for anyone new to be up-to-date. I was thinking of doing something on my blog (Ink Nouveau) where I could have some method of comments/interaction for specific design ideas....I don't know. I haven't put my finger on it quite yet what I'd want to do. hmm1.gif

One thing I am starting up is a weekly live broadcast at Ustream.com that I'm calling "Ustream Tuesdays at 2:22!", where at 2:22pm Eastern US time I will do a live broadcast from my webcam where you can ask me questions via a chatroom on the site and I answer them real time. Since it's a chatroom, you can chat with each other real time about it too. I can compare different pens, inks, and paper, I can show you around my shop, but most importantly, show you in real time the writing box prototypes, what woods and materials I have on hand, the different tools and techniques I plan to use, etc. I also have some fountain pens I'm prepping right now so I can give a sneak peek there too thumbup.gif This is all one BIIIIG experiment for me, so nothing's set in stone here. I just thought it would be really cool and fun to get more real time feedback. The videos also are recorded and saved so you can watch it later on if you happen to be busy at that time. This whole writing box thing is so exciting, because I'm finding that I have an avenue to help pull together a lot of your great ideas and build a really functional box! Thanks to everyone for your input so far, I hope to see you Tuesday! thumbup.gif

An American site called Lumberjocks had a great example of a a completed project, under the title of '19th Century Writing Slope' [strictly, this is a writing box.]. This was quite elaborate, with authentic timbers, hidden drawers, full brass work and a leather writing surface. See: http://lumberjocks.com/projects/8352. This is not a commercial project, except as a special commission. The essential structure looks very good, though.

Currently, I am making a writing slope and I will then go to a full writing box when I have better plans. The writing slope, btw, as a type of box is not all that difficult to make. I am looking forward to doing some work over this ANZAC Day weekend. I want to use this, as a light box for storage of writing materials. I will add two side handles for easy carrying.

Bluestar

• 7 months later...

I know the Goulets have really expanded their focus toward calligraphy, stationery and especially ink . But I am hoping Brian hasn't forgotten about this project. I browse the bay and local antique shops hoping to find a writing box --to no avail.

What say you, Brian?

I know the Goulets have really expanded their focus toward calligraphy, stationery and especially ink . But I am hoping Brian hasn't forgotten about this project. I browse the bay and local antique shops hoping to find a writing box --to no avail.

What say you, Brian?

Sadly I think the project is over. As I recall a few months ago he sold all of the tools in his shop to expand the pen business.

This project died on the vine, long before I expanded the ink. I got all into the boxes, only to find out I was in WAY over my head. The level of skill and craftsmanship exceeded my abilities and I simply couldn't produce what I was envisioning in my head. I calculated out the investment of time and tools to build boxes like I wanted, and there was just no way it was feasible. Sadly, I had to let that dream die. I think it'll be something I'll revisit later in life, but for the foreseeable future I won't be building anything.

Practical.. like that you're able to enjoy, entertain possibilites.. but, then consider family, sort through what's reasonable, then place potential, but impractical projects on a back burner.

Good prioritizing - glad to be a customer.. great teamwork with your dearest! Hi R! and the little guy gets to have very involved parental units :thumbup:

Practical.. like that you're able to enjoy, entertain possibilites.. but, then consider family, sort through what's reasonable, then place potential, but impractical projects on a back burner.

Good prioritizing - glad to be a customer.. great teamwork with your dearest! Hi R! and the little guy gets to have very involved parental units :thumbup:

:thumbup: +1