Going Through Visconti Overload!

Garvey

I am spinning myself out, trying to decide which Visconti Fountain Pen will be my first major purchase. I like all three and any one of the three will be an incredible acquisition. But I keep talking myself in and out of a decision. So what to do but turn to the experts of The Fountain Pen Network for help.

Any insight/comments on these beautiful pens will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers (and thanks for the help!),

Garvey

Pictures:

The Visconti Wall Street LE -- Platinum

http://www.stylo.ca/Images/Produits/5153_LRG.jpg

The Visconti Black Divina G8 Limited Edition

http://www.fahrneyspens.com/ProductImages/Large/2201132vb.jpg

The Visconti Opera Master Demo -- Amber

http://www.artbrown.com/images/36918.jpg

Edited by Garvey

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Garvey

• Ghost Plane

• tanalasta

• shrinknib

I know nothing about visconti, but I'd say the opera demo, primarily because I like demos. The wall street design looks similar to a vacuumatic, which I've never liked. The twisted, uneven body would make writing (for me) with the G8 uncomfortable, unless a flat side happened to lie at just the right spot on my hand. Even then, the alignment would probably change with fills.

I'd start with the Wall Street. The Divina is really a pen you should hold before you buy. I tried a couple but finally they just didn't fit as writers for me. I also own an OM Demo. It's a BIG pen. The Wall Street is closer to what most would consider a "normal" sized pen.

I have the WSLE in Platinum and it's a big handsome pen. I have the smaller version of the Divina and like it, but I'm sure that the larger size is very nice--I don't like the G8 motif and honestly, an economic summit? It just doesn't speak to me! About the OMs, I'm sure I am in the minority in not like them, but the gold colored section on that version is unattractive in my eyes. But I am not keen on metal sections and only get a pen with a metal section if the pen itself is especially compelling.

best, Dan

Great feedback. Exactly what I was hoping for in helping me make my decision -- it's bringing clarity!!!

I know the Divina G8 is an odd selection, but as a political wonk and a faculty member at the Kelley School of Business at Indiana University the pen makes sense. But I am left wondering if I could see myself using the pen regularly or would it be a display pen.

I honestly can see myself using the Wall Street LE -- and with the pricing I would have some $$ left to purchase a nice vintage Aurora 88 I've been eyeing as well. Hmmm....

The Wall Street is a deal. Platinum colour with a Palladium nib - Buy it!

IMHO the Divina is a poor second cousin to the Divine Proportions. If I bought a Divina, I would always feel like I compromised - the Divine Proportions is a spectacular pen and I'm glad I have one.

The Opera Master Demo is a nice pen, for me I don't like gold trim. I used to have a clear one which was nice but ultimately uninspiring.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2752/4371168844_35ba5fb338.jpg

Danitrio Fellow, Nakaya Nutter, Sailor Sailor (ret), Visconti Venerator, Montegrappa Molester (in training), ConwayStewart Champion & Diplomat #77

All I have is the Opera Honey Almond and it's really nice. BUT, if I had my time over again I would buy the LE Titanic. Thanks. I don't really count my Van Gogh 'cause it's so underwhelming.

In fact, I happen to have two of the three and I also have a Divina Springs, which I believe is the same size as the G8 (although you might want to check that).

My Wall Street has a palladium stub. I love the feel of the palladium, but find the stub, at 1.3 mm, to be just a little too wide for my regular writing. The body is quite comfortable to hold and you can't go wrong with the platinum color--it goes with whatever ink you care to put in it. It's quite a comfortable pen to hold (enough so that I'm very busy not buying another one).

While I love my Divina Springs and had it's original medium nib stubbed by Michael Masuyama so that it's now exquisite, it doesn't get as much play as it otherwise might because of the way the ink windows feel under my thumb. It's also a very light-weight pen compared to the other two. The button filler is easy to use, but doesn't hold all that much ink, comparatively speaking.

The amber demo was my first Visconti and the one that got me into this mess. I like big, heavy pens and this is one. Personally, I like metal sections because I actually find them less slippery than the other materials, but I'm odd in many of my preferences. In another thread, reference was made to pens which are like "lead carrots," and I'd say this one falls into that group. One of the things I really like about it is that it takes me no effort whatsoever to keep the nib properly on the page. It stays there of its own weight; all I have to do is move it along. The amber color with the gold trim either speaks to you or it doesn't, but mine is just as gorgeous as the pictures. I like it well enough that I got a clear one as well and hope somebody to get the blue one just to complete the group, unless Visconti has the kindness to make a green one with gold furniture.

All that being said, unless you really do want a "lead carrot," your best bet is probably going to be the Wall Street. It's a little smaller and a little lighter than the demo, but still a pen with serious heft.

I came here for the pictures and stayed for the conversation.

I have almost always had at least one WSLE as a daily user for the last 5 or 6 years. You cannot go wrong. Beautiful and fancy, yet appropriate for most settings. Big, but not huge. Holds a ton of ink. And, has a celluloid section, which you just can't beat. I've sold some over the years (usually to help finance a "got to have" pen), but have ALWAYS bought at least one more later. I currently have the green and the blue (and have had a few of the black/gray). You can't go wrong, especially since prices are now nearly half what they were when they were a new release.

The Wall Street was my first LE.

I went to Bittner, said "show me what you have with a double reservoir piston filler" and that's what I picked.

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

Try before you buy, especially the Opera Demo because it is very tail heavy. I have the clear one but it is not for everyone. The G8 would be at the bottom of the list for me. Love my Wall Streets, managed to acquire all 4 of the LE's, yes on the used market.

A. Don's Axiom "It's gonna be used when I sell it, might as well be used when I buy it."

Try before you buy, especially the Opera Demo because it is very tail heavy. I have the clear one but it is not for everyone. The G8 would be at the bottom of the list for me. Love my Wall Streets, managed to acquire all 4 of the LE's, yes on the used market.

I like the Wall Streets the best myself.

The others don't impress me as much as the celluloid, but that is me.

I like the above advice about thinking about a used one, as two out of the three I have bought have had problems (so far). One had leaking ink under the celluloid (still not received in Italy a month later) and the other had a poor palladium stub nib that is proving recalcitrant.

I still love them but they are Italian and that says it all!

________________________________________________________________________________

Love and work... work and love, that's all there is.

Sigmund Freud

(there was a man who obviously never knew fountain pens!)

The Wall Street was my most expensive pen purchase. I got it for $275 used here just two weeks ago. I had a Van Gogh Maxi definitely prefer the celluloid section of the Wall Street. I have the blue one. The 18k two tone Visconti nib is so pretty.

Blake

Pilot Vanishing point - metallic blue

Noodler's Ahab

I second the suggestion of asking Bryant at Pentime for a quote. He got back to me very quickly with pricing and availability when I was halfway considering a WSLE.

edit to add: Oh yeah, the WSLE would be my choice. The platinum color is very dignified. Most all the colors in that line are great, but Platinum would be my first choice.

(I've moved from "halfway considering" to "definitely going to buy sometime, hopefully before the year is out.")

Edited by Breck

My Black Divina G8 arrived last week. Had it fitted with a Palladium F. A stunner in performance and looks. With time and patience, this pen can be taught to write by itself. It is effortless.

Bought it from Bryant, who is a pleasure to do business with.

The Wall Street is on the todo list, but I just can't warm to demonstrators.

Thank you to everyone for your input. The comments really helped me put everything together so I could make a sound decision. So I decided to go with the Visconti Wall Street LE -- platinum w/ a fine palladium nib. I had been working with Bryant at Pentime all along to narrow down to these three -- and he's been AWESOME to work with. Props to Bry and everyone who directed me his way. I placed the order this evening.

And I still plan on keeping the G8 on the list, and checking out other fine Italian writing instruments when my wife and I travel to Italy in May.

Best,

Darryl

Good luck mate.

I hope you love the pen and use it in good health

________________________________________________________________________________

Love and work... work and love, that's all there is.

Sigmund Freud

(there was a man who obviously never knew fountain pens!)