Classifieds is broken, please do not submit any new ads ×

The Platinum Workhorse

Guest Denis Richard

Guest Denis Richard

The Workhorse is an inexpensive (less than $40) entry-level Platinum fountain pen, which fills through cartridges or converter. Made of a stainless steel barrel and plastic section, it is made to last. The nib is stainless steel, and only one width is available, which I would rate as a fine.

The appearance of the Workhorse is interesting. It's section and the end of the barrel are made of a slighty translucent plastic and give it an original look. The plastic trims come in navy blue or black. Another interesting particularity is the feed, made of the same translucent plastic (but grey), and totally smooth.

The nib is fairly smooth, and as expected without any flex. It is a fair size pen, on the slim side, as long as a Namiki VP with retracted nib. The steel body puts it on the edge of the heavy-ish side. Overall, it is a nice modern daily writer, with an industrial clean look.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Free Citizen

• ClintnTx

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Denis Richard

At the Platinum store, the Workhorse is at USD 39.99, and the Stainless Armor is at USD 129.99. The bodies look exactly alike, except the clip. The big difference is that the Stainless Armor comes with a 14kt gold nib.

Denis.

• 10 months later...

I have one of each, & both are terrific writers. The difference between the steel nib & the 14K white gold nib is pretty significant in this pen. I experience a modest degree of "flex" with the gold nib, making its product just a bit more impressive to read.

One drawback I have found with my Work Horse & a Stainless Armor I bought as a gift. Both suffered circumferential cracks in the section. With my WH the crack appeared when the cap was removed. My friend's SA experienced the fracture when it was dropped. Has anyone else experienced such a problem?

Plaatinum is a favorite brand. They stood behind & replaced my WH. I have not got my friends SA repaired yet, but I feel sure the Platinum folks will take care of it.

Clint