REVIEW: Montblanc William Faulkner

QM2

Thanks for the nice comments : )

I similarly experience pangs of desire when looking at Ether's, dandelion's and Blade Runner's pictures. Must resist!

My acquisition phase is not quite over yet, but it is on Pause, as I need the money for some other purchases at the moment (photography equipment and bicycle components!). So I have really taken a hard look at my collection and finally decided to sell the things that for whatever reason I am not crazy about.

However, in the future there are definitely a few pens I am missing, including the MB Wilde - the one domed top writer I don't have yet. If only the prices for him weren't so wild...

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• QM2

• Michael R.

• dandelion

• Alphabet

Many thanks for the review and the beautiful pictures.

I was surprised by the actual color of the Faulkner as well. Originally I did not expect the color to have those olive-silvery hues my pen has. My Faulkner lives in a dusty-rose and mauve colored Bohème pouch which goes along with the pen's color very well in a strange way...

A wonderful pen but I would have prefered it being made from Sterling Silver as well.

Enjoy your pen

Michael

My Faulkner lives in a dusty-rose and mauve colored Bohème pouch which goes along with the pen's color very well in a strange way...

dusty-rose Boheme pouch?...

how intriguing, do you have a picture?

dusty-rose Boheme pouch?...

how intriguing, do you have a picture?

If you don't mind three crappy ones which don't do justice to the actual look :embarrassed_smile: :

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn140/PENSnINKS/Montblanc/P1010003.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn140/PENSnINKS/Montblanc/P1010004.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn140/PENSnINKS/Montblanc/P1010026.jpg

One day I will take better pictures and post them....

This was a limited time production run (like almost all interesting MB cases) and is out of production since a year or so.

The surface changes colors a little bit when looking at it at different angles.

It almost looks like a weired tropical fish in salmon-dusty rose-golden-mauve colors; I just love this sort of color (sort of Noodler's Mata Hari Cordial - Highland's Heather)!

This type of case was avialable in light mint green and white as well.

I think the color I have was intended to go along with the Bohème PIROUETTE LILAS.

Cheers

Michael

Edited by Michael R.

Wow, that colour does look good with the Faulkner! Who could have guessed.

I have the white pouch from the series you mentioned, but am not a big fan of white leather. I didn't know about the other colours, but both the dusty rose and the mint green are wonderful ideas.

I like the contrast between the very strict (in comparison) Faulkner and the soft, sweet pouch in ash rose.

Edited by dandelion

*****the dandelion blog is right here*****

*****the dandelion flickr is right here*****

I didn't know about the other colours, but both the dusty rose and the mint green are wonderful ideas.

Those quickly become as addictive as pens & inks :wacko:

There are so many funky colored MB cases out there.

Cheers

Michael

Lovely review QM2. Certainly another temptation to add to the list of WE's I'd like to own. Still a good few above it though. The dome tops are lovely though and certainly the ones I think are the most compelling. Dang, I'm looking for a Wilde too! Good luck.

Thanks nvbrennan, the Wilde will not be an easy one. But a challenge can be fun.

I would also eventually like a second Schiller, because mine is just the most comfortable pen on Earth and I would like a back-up.

This is a very COOL pen. I am definitely not into the MB Limited editions (they are mostly terrible kitch in my view...) but this one is very nice (as is the Verne).

• 2 weeks later...

You got me seriously tempted with those beautiful photos. Well done using the contact sheet as a backdrop. Curiosity and temptation turned into full-fledged infatuation the moment I held it in my hands at the Montblanc boutique at South Coast Plaza. Now my Shaw feels the need for some company. Time to email Bryant!

Well, I am sorry to give this less than glowing update - but it looks like a month into using it, my beautiful Faulkner developed a leak around the section threads.

I was taking notes with the pen today and noticed that my thumb kept getting a tad inky. At first I thought this was because I was holding the pen too close to the nib, but no. There was ink residue around the threads of the section, and it formed again and again after the threads were wiped clean. It is a very subtle leak, but it is there.

While I know that this is a known issue with the Faulkner that others have reported, I am still upset. Of all my other Montblanc pens, I have never had one leak on me before, so it's an odd sort of feeling of betrayal. I will empty the pen when I get home and will speak to my local boutique about getting it repaired. Hope it works out.

Edited by QM2

Well, I am sorry to give this less than glowing update - but it looks like a month into using it, my beautiful Faulkner developed a leak around the section threads.

I was taking notes with the pen today and noticed that my thumb kept getting a tad inky. At first I thought this was because I was holding the pen too close to the nib, but no. There was ink residue around the threads of the section, and it formed again and again after the threads were wiped clean. It is a very subtle leak, but it is there.

While I know that this is a known issue with the Faulkner that others have reported, I am still upset. Of all my other Montblanc pens, I have never had one leak on me before, so it's an odd sort of feeling of betrayal. I will empty the pen when I get home and will speak to my local boutique about getting it repaired. Hope it works out.

Sorry to hear about the leak. Now I am going to start looking carefully at my fingers in trepidation when I start using mine. At least MB customer support is good from what I've heard.

thank you for the review QM2. The photos are beautiful and really do the pen justice.

I find it a wonderful design, old meets new but quite elegant and conservative, unlike some other WE's.

I am sorry to hear about this minor tragedy as it shows that even high end, high quality pens live on the edge.

I wish you good luck with the repairs and tell you that it won't deter me from one day owning this gorgeous piece of art.

________________________________________________________________________________

Love and work... work and love, that's all there is.

Sigmund Freud

(there was a man who obviously never knew fountain pens!)

• 4 months later...

Just picked up a Faulkner myself this week. Great review and some lovely photos.

The thing I like the most about it is how the light catches both the platinum plated barrel and the black/brown resin when you rotate the pen in your hand.

My Collection: Montblanc Writers Edition: Hemingway, Christie, Wilde, Voltaire, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Poe, Proust, Schiller, Dickens, Fitzgerald (set), Verne, Kafka, Cervantes, Woolf, Faulkner, Shaw, Mann, Twain, Collodi, Swift, Balzac, Defoe, Tolstoy, Shakespeare, Saint-Exupery, Homer & Kipling. Montblanc Einstein (3,000) FP. Montblanc Heritage 1912 Resin FP. Montblanc Starwalker Resin: FP/BP/MP. Montblanc Traveller FP.

• 1 month later...

What a great review. WF has been on my wish list since. Your review just made me drool even more.

Thanks

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...